Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Insurance fraud and other fun games

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
10 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
My wifes explorer has mysteriously stopped leaking. I check it daily and also check the dipstick and so far, it's been holding steady for a week or so. I'm going to let it go until it starts leaking again as I definitely dont want to do the work nor am I willing to pay for it at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors(?)

bird_dog0347

still married haven't seen testicles in years
10 Year Member
Jun 7, 2012
Little Elm, TX
My wifes explorer has mysteriously stopped leaking. I check it daily and also check the dipstick and so far, it's been holding steady for a week or so. I'm going to let it go until it starts leaking again as I definitely dont want to do the work nor am I willing to pay for it at the moment.
Dude, trade it in ASAP.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
10 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
Well, the explorer is getting sent off to a mechanic today. $2,750.00 BUT it comes with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor.
Custom wheels are going to have to wait til the end of the year it looks like!

Reactions: 3 users

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Well, the explorer is getting sent off to a mechanic today. $2,750.00 BUT it comes with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor.
Custom wheels are going to have to wait til the end of the year it looks like!
Yeah. That does seem like the better option for the current times.

Mustang5L5

Put lubricant all over the balls
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm almost tempted to pre-emptively change out the pump and chains on my Taurus. I was going to buy a new car, but decided to wait now. I just don't know if i should roll the dice, or just spend the money now when i can control the timing of having the car down

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
10 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I'm almost tempted to pre-emptively change out the pump and chains on my Taurus. I was going to buy a new car, but decided to wait now. I just don't know if i should roll the dice, or just spend the money now when i can control the timing of having the car down
As far as I know, the water pump is the only issue these motors have.

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
If nothing else, I would at least buy all the parts and/or tools now before inflation raises the prices on everything again and again.

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I did the water pump on our Taurus about 6 years and 75k miles ago. Bought the special tools to lock the cams ( very cheap on amazon ) and did it in the car. Just took all the mounts loose and slid the motor and trans over to the drivers side. I used an engine support bar and lowered the passenger side of the k member. Wasn't too bad in the driveway. Heather refused to get rid of it. Dumped all the coolant in the oil and drove it atleast 5 miles like that. The 3.5 is no joke...just that dang WP. If you keep good chains and WP in them they last over 300k. Oh...don't forgetvthe transmission speed sensors. That's a whole nother engineering cluster fuc. Been there and done that too on her Taurus.

Almost forgot...I did have to use a puller / installer for the crank pulley and used zip ties for the stupid power steering stretch belt.

Screenshot_20220622-232038_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: 1 users