Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, so I live in the NW Houston area and my construction projects are all in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Yesterday, I had an on site meeting in Fort Worth and took the fox instead of the truck. I used ~24 gallons of fuel over 440 miles which is roughly 18.3 mpg. It was a nice drive for the most part. Had the AC on and the radio going. No real issues except every now and again at a stop light, I'd see a random puff of smoke. I checked the oil before I left FW yesterday and it was fine so not sure what that's all about. The front shocks are not great and overall the ride is pretty harsh on large bumps, but it's a Fox after all so its expected.

road.jpg

site.jpg

The new O-rings in the power steering were definitely the cure. I went out this morning to verify again and the pump is still dry. There is an oil leak behind the harmonic balancer that I've been ignoring. Now that everything else is fixed, it's my new annoyance. Ill get to it sooner or later but this weekend is Fox Fest up in Dallas (@mob @bird_dog0347 are you going?) so Ill be headed back up there on Sunday.

Also, I should be getting some cash out of my side hustle so it's finally time to rebuild the transmission. That's my next major task for the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, so I live in the NW Houston area and my construction projects are all in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Yesterday, I had an on site meeting in Fort Worth and took the fox instead of the truck. I used ~24 gallons of fuel over 440 miles which is roughly 18.3 mpg. It was a nice drive for the most part. Had the AC on and the radio going. No real issues except every now and again at a stop light, I'd see a random puff of smoke. I checked the oil before I left FW yesterday and it was fine so not sure what that's all about. The front shocks are not great and overall the ride is pretty harsh on large bumps, but it's a Fox after all so its expected.

road.jpg

site.jpg

The new O-rings in the power steering were definitely the cure. I went out this morning to verify again and the pump is still dry. There is an oil leak behind the harmonic balancer that I've been ignoring. Now that everything else is fixed, it's my new annoyance. Ill get to it sooner or later but this weekend is Fox Fest up in Dallas (@mob @bird_dog0347 are you going?) so Ill be headed back up there on Sunday.

Also, I should be getting some cash out of my side hustle so it's finally time to rebuild the transmission. That's my next major task for the car.
I don't think I'll be going since my mustang is in many parts in another state. I'll likely spend that time at the lake surfing instead. But next time you're up this way and want to grab lunch let me know!

Reactions: 1 user

Hey man, I should be there Sunday! if I see your car I'll say hello. I wont be bringing my car this year since it's not ready but hoping to join the fun next year. This will be my first Fox show so I'm pretty stoked.

Hey man, I should be there Sunday! if I see your car I'll say hello. I wont be bringing my car this year since it's not ready but hoping to join the fun next year. This will be my first Fox show so I'm pretty stoked.
Dang man, I didnt see this in time or I would have looked for you. Should have PMd my number. Did you end up going?
Do you recall the o-ring sizes you used?
No, sorry. I have an assortment bag and I just dug around until I found one that fit.

Yesterday I drove back to Dallas for Lonestar Fox Fest. They were calling for record heat, and boy, it didn't disappoint. It was ridiculous and the heat doesn't usually bother me. The car did great, 80+mph over 400 miles and the car never got over 200 with the AC on full blast, even with the 100°+ degree heat. I couldn't be more pleased.

That said, I thought I had a pretty nice car, but DAMN there are some REALLY nice foxes up in North Texas. I need to step my game up with some powder coating and some tasteful custom touches in the engine.

Finally, the crank seal in the timing cover appears to be leaking worse and worse so I need to get into that sooner than later. I think I have given up on the explorer water pump project, too. I cant convince myself its a good idea to tackle it.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a pickle. I've been driving my car a lot lately, especially with the road trips. I only have liability insurance on it. So, I decided to get a quote from Hagerty for full coverage and they turned me down because I drive too much - I put 8k miles a year, which may be a little high but not by much.

The carrier that insures my other vehicles wont insure anything over 20yrs old on full coverage.

So, what now?

I'm in a pickle. I've been driving my car a lot lately, especially with the road trips. I only have liability insurance on it. So, I decided to get a quote from Hagerty for full coverage and they turned me down because I drive too much - I put 8k miles a year, which may be a little high but not by much.

The carrier that insures my other vehicles wont insure anything over 20yrs old on full coverage.

So, what now?
The collector car insurance agencies seem to want no more than 2500 miles a year..... Thats been my experience....
Added my beemer on with my dodge,, Saved me over 60% from what I was paying.....
Garage queens....

Mine is with Grundy, $231/year for $15k agreed value, must be garaged, cannot be my primary car or daily. Years ago it was with a different company that no longer does classics and it was 5k miles per year but they never ever checked and I don't see where I'm limited on my Grundy. Call Jason Olson at The Phoenix Insurance company 214-253-0570 and tell him Nick Anselmo sent you and you want to get a quote for your car. He can shop different deals for you and should be able to get you what you want. I've been using them to find my insurance deals for over a decade.