Progress Thread Hoopty v2.0 - Back in action!

I was under the impression that MLS gaskets required a specific surface finish to seal correctly.
from what I saw they need a RA between 30 and 60.

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to go about verifying that. Worst case, they leak and I tear it all back down and put the 9333s back in. However you've inspired me to at least see what's on youtube about the subject. The counter argument there is Sloppy Mechanics.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

If tracking is correct, it could be running by tomorrow! Lower intake is now on also.

The oil drain line rubbed a hole in the lower AC line. My buddy just got the crimping tool to make lines so I may tear these out and re do them. Any reason not to?

1C70BEAA-AAF7-45C3-AD4E-3EF2F6FC5C8C.jpeg
BC48F874-6656-494A-A18F-B8BC1BBFB11B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
from what I saw they need a RA between 30 and 60.

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to go about verifying that. Worst case, they leak and I tear it all back down and put the 9333s back in. However you've inspired me to at least see what's on youtube about the subject. The counter argument there is Sloppy Mechanics.
I didn't use any spray and have to say, after about 100 miles on the setup my passenger side head is leaking. It is leaking from the middle of the head area and not mixing coolant/oil so mine will be coming apart once the weather gets better and i'm putting elcheapo felpros on the damn thing. Of course i'll have to have the tfs head checked for straightness now again.

I didn't use any spray and have to say, after about 100 miles on the setup my passenger side head is leaking. It is leaking from the middle of the head area and not mixing coolant/oil so mine will be coming apart once the weather gets better and i'm putting elcheapo felpros on the damn thing. Of course i'll have to have the tfs head checked for straightness now again.
That's a lot of the complaints I saw. A lot of people say to use the copper spray to get around it, but some articles I found said that the spray can react with the coatings on the gasket.

The overwhelming majority said that they run the 9333s (or 1011s) and have never once had an issue. Any issues with blowing gaskets was related to something else, mostly in the tune.

So, that's what I get for being greedy and making a half-informed decision.

@a91what I assume that since I have a much larger head and cam in the car that Ill need to add fuel in the VE table for it to run right when I first start it. Can I just highlight the table and multiply it by 5%? 10%? How do you usually go about that? Same injectors, nothing else changed other than heads and cam.

@a91what I assume that since I have a much larger head and cam in the car that Ill need to add fuel in the VE table for it to run right when I first start it. Can I just highlight the table and multiply it by 5%? 10%? How do you usually go about that? Same injectors, nothing else changed other than heads and cam.
I would make no changes in the tune to start. The VE table will change drastically with a cam change, it will be like tuning from the beginning. Just get it running and make any needed changes until it's full warm then dial the idle in.

I would make no changes in the tune to start. The VE table will change drastically with a cam change, it will be like tuning from the beginning. Just get it running and make any needed changes until it's full warm then dial the idle in.
Sounds good, thanks. I havent opened tunerstudio in probably 2 years or more, so this should be fun LMAO