Interior and Upholstery Horn Contact help I'm desperate

Nick Bos

Dec 7, 2016
I have a 1970 ford coupe with a stock column. I found out my horn wasn't working so I took a look at the turn signal switch and found out that the copper horn contact was completely eroded away. I'm including pictures below of the copper contact I'm referring to. I took out the old copper horn contact and have been replacing it with whatever I can find to no avail. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this copper horn contact/brush from? I cant seem to find one for a 1969-70 model. I just want the copper contact since replacing the entire turn signal switch is around $100. It needs to be a solid rod, I've tried using a wire with a spring attached but the wire is flimsy and folds over when I turn the wheel which just causes a short and my horn to go off for the entire ride.

Any help at all would be a huge help, Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-0599.jpg
    IMG-0599.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG-0597.jpg
    IMG-0597.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 66
  • InkedIMG-0598_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-0598_LI.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Sponsors (?)

Short of replacing the entire switch assembly I don't think you are going to find just the contact. That being said, I have an old junk switch for a '66 you can have for the cost of shipping. That contact looks like the '66...probably the same thing. Not sure what is involved in swapping it over though.

Reactions: 1 user
Short of replacing the entire switch assembly I don't think you are going to find just the contact. That being said, I have an old junk switch for a '66 you can have for the cost of shipping. That contact looks like the '66...probably the same thing. Not sure what is involved in swapping it over though.
I saw the 66 contact online, the top "brush part" looks sorta flimsy since its just a wire connected to a spring. The problem is I made something similar to it but it just folded over somehow and created a short when I turned my wheel. Thanks for the offer though! Thats really kind of you.

I managed to put a dot of solder on top of contact , file it flat and got some decent action for ''awhile.'. Didn't last.
Was just trying to fix the 'wear'.

Reactions: 1 user
The 2 on top .. The spring loaded ones are part of the switch.. You knew that! The one below with the spring and the piece of brass with the wire is a ford piece. I have one in my toolbox. You should be able to get one from obsolete parts or ebay from somebody like me who sells old ford parts on ebay