Hot Rod /Motor Trend Threads In here

Knexo said:
Your right the Cobra will make short work of a GTO. I'm not arguing that point. But a new cobra from what I've read aroud here is going to be atleast 37-38 and thats not GTO range. I'm still waiting to see what the price increase is going to be for a 05GT. If it comes out at the same price thats great, but then give us the option of getting a 6-speed for a price. I'll be more than happy to pay it, then deal with all the problems current 3650 owner have.

I meant I traded it in on a new 05GT,not a current one. I figured with 3v heads and hopefully a 6-speed it would run mid 13's. Then use simple bolt-ons to get low 13's. I don't consider 6-8 hours for long tubes a simple bolt-on.
How did you trade it in on a 05 ?? they arent for sale yet. As far as the cobra for 37-38....ive seen them as low as 26,900 for 03's...granted thats not exactly sticker, but sticker is around 33-34.....37-38 for a vert or a 10th anniversary.

• Sponsors (?)

Traded it in for an 05GT about 2 months ago. I'm currently in the waiting stage for an 05.It's winter time here and I'm driving my family car. Dont need a muscle car right now. Saving alot of money every month by not having that extra car and insurance payment.

I meant the 06 cobra, not the current one. I've seen current one's here for as low as 29000. I also think the car looks better than a GTO, but I also want to go fast. Hopefully the special edition cars will come sooner than later with the things the GT is missing.

HairyCanary said:
Apples to oranges -- the GTO retails for $33,495, that's Cobra territory, not GT territory. And the Cobra will make very short work of a GTO.

Dave
People just don't get it Dave.

Ok How do you think the cobra not being in the GTO price range is an realistic statement. Then you criticize the (less expensive than the GTO) mustang gt as being a disappointment? That makes no sense. You can get a 6 speed. I'm sure the dealer will be more than happy to install one for you. Ford doesn't have to make anything they don't choose. They woke up and smelled the coffee and made the mustang with near perfect weight distribution. Which makes for great handling. They made it look good. And as a side bonus we are getting a new morepowerful engine. just because you thought it should have more than 300hp doesn't mean it should. If you are so unhappy get another camaro.

Knexo said:
Your right the Cobra will make short work of a GTO. I'm not arguing that point. But a new cobra from what I've read aroud here is going to be atleast 37-38 and thats not GTO range.

Well it's a lot closer in price to a GTO than a GTO is to the GT. You are indeed comparing apples and oranges here.

You want to compare a car that costs 5-6K more than the GT, but than whine when someone wants to compare the Cobra to the GTO; a price difference that is much less than the one you want to make. You can't have it both ways, and we really have no idea what the 2006 Cobra will cost or will have under the hood.

In any event the 2003 will clean the GTO's clock. You don't have to wait for whatever the new SVT is gonna be. (And I'm betting 450+ FWHP. Coletti won't put out a Cobra that won't run with the standard C6)

If I wanted a 6-speed aftermarket or even one taken from a cobra, I would have it done somewhere other than a ford dealer. Everyone else is offering a 6-speed with there cars, why can't ford. The car will have better weight dist, but it's also got more weight to move. I'm not saying it's not a good car, I had just hoped for more. The last time I checked it was ok to hope for more and have different opinionws than other people.

Lindsay

I'm not whinnig about the Cobra to GTO comparison. The cobra will flat out kill a GTO. It will also take alot more money to get a GTO into the mid 12's then a cobra. I'm not talking about a cobra though. I know alot of camaro people changing over to cobra's because of getting a blower motor with a warranty.

But you were complaining about the gt not being as fast as the gto. The cobra was merely brought up as being more in the gto price range. You are allowed to have your opinion. There is nothing wrong with that. But when you start making comparisions saying ford should wake up and make it comparable to a more expensive car. That's what makes people here irritated. People who own mustangs tend to be very passionate about the car. I hope you get over your disappointment.

Knexo said:
If I wanted a 6-speed aftermarket or even one taken from a cobra, I would have it done somewhere other than a ford dealer.

So, you wouldn't want it installed and backed by a factory warranty? That seems like a big mistake waiting to happen IMHO.

Knexo said:
Everyone else is offering a 6-speed with there cars, why can't ford.

Everyone else? Who? Camaro is dead, GTO is an option and with the added cost of that option will put it at damn near the exact same price as the speculated Cobra price which comes standard with a 6 speed. The Vette is $20,000 more than a Cobra, for an extra $20,000 I would certainly hope they could fit a 6 speed in it. Then the next car on the list is the soon to be discontinued SVT Focus. The 6 speed in that would never hold up to 400+ HP and TQ. That leaves the Viper, again, for $80,000+ it damn sure better have a 6 speed.

Knexo said:
The car will have better weight dist, but it's also got more weight to move. I'm not saying it's not a good car, I had just hoped for more. The last time I checked it was ok to hope for more and have different opinionws than other people.

Lindsay

No one here has even implied that you had no right to your opinion, that is simply a cop out for being proven wrong. You want to compare a $25,000 Mustang GT to a $33,000 GTO but seem to think that it is not fair when someone does the exact same thing by comparing a $33,000 GT0 to a $35,000 Cobra. They are simply calling a spade a spade. There is no room for your double standard here.