How About Car Lifts?

imp

Mustang Master
Jul 13, 2017
Anybody got one in a home shop/garage? I've finally decided that unless I give up forever, transmission pulling is going to require a lift. Can't do it anymore on my back and/or belly.

So I've gotten under the impression that a 4-post which is not bolted to the floor, is a good way to go. How they achieve structural rigidity, I haven't figured out yet. You can move the damned things around on lowerable casters! So, are 4-posters safe?

I have a pic of a 2-post which pulled it's anchors or broke the floor, dropping a full-sized Bronco over on it's side. So, are THEY safe?

Would appreciate any ideas, suggestions! imp

• Sponsors (?)

Anybody got one in a home shop/garage? I've finally decided that unless I give up forever, transmission pulling is going to require a lift. Can't do it anymore on my back and/or belly.

So I've gotten under the impression that a 4-post which is not bolted to the floor, is a good way to go. How they achieve structural rigidity, I haven't figured out yet. You can move the damned things around on lowerable casters! So, are 4-posters safe?

I have a pic of a 2-post which pulled it's anchors or broke the floor, dropping a full-sized Bronco over on it's side. So, are THEY safe?

Would appreciate any ideas, suggestions! imp

2-post lifts are far more useful than 4-post.

They are all safe if installed and used correctly, just stick ith a good brand like Rotary, Challenger, Bend-Pak, or Mohawk. Get your concrete inspected by a professional before, and if you're unsure how to install the lift, have it installed by one

I have a Challenger Varysymetric 10,000 lb lift in my bay at work. Best lift I've ever used in the 14 years I've been turning wrenches.

Reactions: 1 user
2-post lifts are far more useful than 4-post.

They are all safe if installed and used correctly, just stick ith a good brand like Rotary, Challenger, Bend-Pak, or Mohawk. Get your concrete inspected by a professional before, and if you're unsure how to install the lift, have it installed by one

I have a Challenger Varysymetric 10,000 lb lift in my bay at work. Best lift I've ever used in the 14 years I've been turning wrenches.
Thank you for that. You are absolutely right about the concrete. It needs to be properly loaded with reinforcing steel, and no home garages are. That's why I'm leaning away from a 2-post. Couldn't find the pic of the crunched Bronco; I'll try again tomorrow. imp

Thank you for that. You are absolutely right about the concrete. It needs to be properly loaded with reinforcing steel, and no home garages are. That's why I'm leaning away from a 2-post. Couldn't find the pic of the crunched Bronco; I'll try again tomorrow. imp
You might be surprised. It depends on when/where/how the garage was built. Bend-Pak even says on their website that most residential foundations meet their requirements.

If you get it inspected and it meets the requirements, you're golden. If not, it isn't the end of the world, you can have a section of the floor jackhammered out and have concrete that does meet the requirements poured.

4-post lifts are great for oil changes and exhaust work, but not a whole lot else. You can't pull tires on one unless it has trolley jacks, and even then you usually can't do suspension work on the front of the car because you're using the control arms as lift points. The concrete requirements between 2-posts and 4-posts also aren't as different as you'd think.

Here's detailed info on concrete requirements:
Mohawk: http://www.mohawklifts.com/library/manuals/Slab_Require_Recommend_11_07.pdf
Bend-Pak: http://www.bendpak.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/
Rotary: http://www.rotarylift.com/uploadedFiles/FAQ1.pdf

If you're really wanting a 4-post, Challenger does make a 4-poster designed for home garages: http://www.challengerlifts.com/CL4P9.shtml

I've researched the hell out of this because I'm going to be building a 2-bay shop on my land out in the sticks in the not too distant future, and it's going to have lifts. I've been spoiled from having one at work for far too long to want to go without.

Reactions: 1 user
@74stang2togo Thank you much for the info! As I see things, my primary need is for R&R of transmission, differential, cats and pipes, etc. Anything requiring working under the vehicle. Suspension, wheel-related stuff, I do from the outside anyway, no lift needed. Your new shop sounds like something I've wanted all my life, but never attained. Never had a lift, but did some mighty heavy-duty work anyway. Hand-built custom exhaust systems, got the scars from the gas flame swishing across my forearm a couple times, lying on my back! Clothing on fire, hair, had it! imp

@74stang2togo Aside from the vehicle damage, chance of being killed while working. Not the fault of the lift; concrete failure. imp

lift_f10.jpg