How accurate is the stock tachometer?

DiZzyBonne

Aug 2, 2007
Just out of curiosity, how accurate is it on a 2001 Bullitt? I remember hitting the rev limiter in neutral for a second a few months back, (twice, my friends bugged me to do it,) and as soon as I hit around 6,500-6,600 RPMs, it bounced around from there to like 6,200 RPMs a few times. If the rev limiter is set to 6,250 RPMs, assuming my limiter was never increased, I'm assuming either; A) my tachometer is off, B) it'll do that in neutral, C) the stock tachometer isn't accurate, D) my limiter WAS raised and I didn't know because I bought the car used. Also, what's worse, hitting the limiter in neutral or while driving? Today while launching for a friend for fun while heading home, my tires were a little wet, and I had a ton of wheelspin, and I didn't quite hit the rev limiter in 1st gear, but I got pretty high up, what looked like 6,300 RPMs.

Honestly, how bad is hitting the rev limiter every once in a while? By once in a while, I mean like once every few months, and obviously not intentionally.

• Sponsors (?)

your car should be fine. hitting the rev limiter isn't that bad.

to check your tach, hold in the mileage reset button while turning on the car. you'll notice your mileage doesn't show up anymore. press the mileage reset button to switch between different diagnostics. one will say tac and display the rpm in real time. this info is straight from the sensor, so it is correct. match that to what the tach is showing to see if the tach is correct. the tach is electronic, so i don't know how you could fix it if it is off.

Just try not to run it yo 7K, spun bearings are a result. It does sounds strange that it'll go to 6.6K though, I've seen that PI engines would hit the 6250 rev limit and 'bounce' to 6.4K back to 6K but not anything where it bounces between 6.5 to 6.6K

^It resets back to 1 after 999 miles anyways...so its just a matter of time. It will not reset your REAL milage...that would cause legal issues and Ford would get in trouble.

Also back when I was on my stock tune, I THINK I remember my RPMs jumping to what looked like 6500RPM....also on my dads 00 V6 FOR SURE I remember it showing around 62-6400 sometimes...even though the rev limiter is much lower. Im not sure if the tack just over compensates and predicts that RPM or if the EEC glitches and misses its mark. But now after a tune it never goes more than the rev limit...weird.

I know it resets to 0 miles after 999.99, but I just like knowing exactly how much I've driven the car since I took it off the lot. I'm not at my car right now, but it's been about 4,090 miles since I bought her in August 14th.

I know it resets to 0 miles after 999.99, but I just like knowing exactly how much I've driven the car since I took it off the lot. I'm not at my car right now, but it's been about 4,090 miles since I bought her in August 14th.

wouldnt all you need is the exact milage when driven off the lot? ie- on milage on your title. and then current odometer figure minus original

Wow, something tells me that you will be rebuilding an engine very very soon:rolleyes: . Ok hitting the rev limiter whilst driving is bad enough, but to rev like that when not under load? are you retarded??? I would NEVER exceed 4k in neutral. And you will be slower if you bounce off the limiter!! try shifting at 6k flat when racing. The powerband drops around there anyways. And try to only go past 3k maybe once every couple weeks. How old are you? Take alittle pride in your possessions and don't destroy it.

my flows keep me in check. i have to keep it under 2000 rpm in order not to stand out

Oh, yeah. I love my good ol' flowmaster "shift tone" for daily street driving and destroying civics from a stop light. Never need to shift at more than ~2.1k RPM for either of those activities. It hurts gas mileage, ya know?

:rlaugh:

I am just glad the cobra front brakes are in, so I don't feel the urge to engine brake to extend the life of my original front brakes (from May of '03) all the time anymore. Especially after a careless downshift into second that brought the tach to ~6600RPM right about the time I realized my boneheaded mistake. :nonono:

Oh well, it has been a couple months since then. No harm, no foul I guess.

Oh, yeah. I love my good ol' flowmaster "shift tone" for daily street driving and destroying civics from a stop light. Never need to shift at more than ~2.1k RPM for either of those activities. It hurts gas mileage, ya know?

:rlaugh:

I am just glad the cobra front brakes are in, so I don't feel the urge to engine brake to extend the life of my original front brakes (from May of '03) all the time anymore. Especially after a careless downshift into second that brought the tach to ~6600RPM right about the time I realized my boneheaded mistake. :nonono:

Oh well, it has been a couple months since then. No harm, no foul I guess.

i have yet to upgrade to the 13" brakes. so im constantly downshifting.

I have the Cobra brakes (came stock :)) and i still downshift when slowing down, never knew it was a bad thing, guess I will stop. Love the way the 4v sounds on deacceleration.