Interior and Upholstery How are the new cup holder consoles working?

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I have a new console top with no ash tray and with cup holders (For a 91) and paint from two Christmases ago. I want to install it now I found everything again. I plan to put in two power outlets, not because I am a two fisted smoker, but charging two phones or an iPod and a game for the kids sounds handy.
Where have you put the lighter socket or USB power plugs, and have you wished you had put them elsewhere? Pics of what works well are appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

There's one that has the power ports in it now

I prefer the ports be hidden. I wired in a 12v to USB unit behind the radio and then snuck the cable under the console next to the seat. Now that I got a new phone, I was looking at putting a wireless charging pad under the large storage area.

I’ve got the one with outlets. I love it. Holds a 32oz metal Tervis perfect in the larger recessed area, and holds a smaller cup or 12oz soda can perfect in the deeper part. Having the 12v outlet and USB ports both is nice. When my wife, daughter, and I road trip, we have my daughters DVD player plugged in the 12v, and both my wife‘s and my own phones plugged into the USB ports.

Two ice cold drinks in the cup holders, devices powered, almost like a modern car...
or something. I used to spill drinks all the damn time trying to squeeze cups inbetween the e-brake and the seat, or inbetween your legs. Ugh.

I have ended up with my drink in the back seat or on the front floor too much.
I will look into a hidden port, but I’ll probably get a new radio with a port built in, someday.
Thanks! Off to work on it.

My friend put his cup holder console in and it looks great. I’ve had one on the shelf for a month now. Just haven’t had the spare time to put it in. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try for it when I install my ball valve setup.

I have a new console top with no ash tray and with cup holders (For a 91) and paint from two Christmases ago. I want to install it now I found everything again. I plan to put in two power outlets, not because I am a two fisted smoker, but charging two phones or an iPod and a game for the kids sounds handy.
Where have you put the lighter socket or USB power plugs, and have you wished you had put them elsewhere? Pics of what works well are appreciated!
Does this mean the new console top has no cigar lighter holder or DC power socket?
I still have the factory console. I use a 3-way DC splitter.
s-l1600.jpg

Am currently working a secondary one that will only energize with the ignition on. The existing DC socket is shared with the horn & don't want to cut any wires.

The cup holders are these.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I have an unused cup holder like that somewhere.
The first of the new console tops came out without sockets installed. Then another supplier soon sold what looks like the same thing with the two outlets installed.
Where did you mount the 3 hole power thing so it was not in the way?

@Mustang5L5 If you say they are both LMR, I will not argue. I was disappointed when they came out with the chargers already installed.
So did you put a port in the side or under the dash? GPS and Tunes are important when I’m driving. I got spoiled quickly not having a map with sticky notes for directions, and not changing CD’s or tapes on trips.

Ive got the blank one as well. I like it more than I thought I would. I got tired of using the ebrake handle and seat method. When my daughters juice went down the side of the trans tunnel, I knew it was time.

Reactions: 1 users
@Mustang5L5 If you say they are both LMR, I will not argue. I was disappointed when they came out with the chargers already installed.
So did you put a port in the side or under the dash? GPS and Tunes are important when I’m driving. I got spoiled quickly not having a map with sticky notes for directions, and not changing CD’s or tapes on trips.

I wired one under the dash and just snakes the iPhone cable under the console. I only need it for phone so it covered my needs. Just got a 12v to usb off Amazon

• Useful
I have an unused cup holder like that somewhere.
The first of the new console tops came out without sockets installed. Then another supplier soon sold what looks like the same thing with the two outlets installed.
Where did you mount the 3 hole power thing so it was not in the way?
In the cubby below the radio. Not mounted, just lays there.

I have a 2-way spliter on the main power port, 1 for the 3-way, the other for the laptop DC power adapter.
I have the following that need power:
1. Dash cam
2. GPS
3. Laptop for Megasquirt
4. Phone, misc

The dash cam & GPS are what I want to turn on only when the engine is started, since I almost always forget them.

Last edited:
I am drawing a blank here. What ball valve belongs in a Mustang? Is it running the Kegerator in the hatch?
Lol. I was going to fab up a mount for a nitrous ball valve when I put my console in. Figured I’d have the console out so I might as well pull the carpet back and weld something in.

Ended up just putting the console in, valve will have to wait.

I do really like having cup holders now.
Anyone else notice the console sits a little closer to the e brake on the L/H side? Not really a big deal, just something I noticed.

1592585980602.jpeg

So what is the black circle of plastic for in front of the ash tray? I popped the center and tried to lift the edge like a body plug, and that did not work. Was it for a factory nitrous trigger or convertible top switch?