How are you guys doing on oil consumption?

Quik03GT

Mar 2, 2006
I've put about 2500 miles on my car since I bought it, and I changed the oil the same day I got it. It has used about 1/2 a qt so far, which seems fine to me, considering I drive it hard ( redlining all the time, frequent trips to 140 on the highway). I'd like to see how it does next time, IF I can tone down my driving habits a bit :D

• Sponsors (?)

I'm getting the same amount of consumption as you. I have 12k on the car, I've gone to 138 once in it's lifetime. I like to take my car to the dragstrip and I also autocross it. :D

I read somewhere that the rule of thumb is, if you burn more than a quart every 3000 miles, it's time for a rebuild. Any technicians want to confirm this?

Im using some too, but ive only raced the car 3 times, got on it once or twice more. I dont think it should be a "normal" thing, and it kinda pisses me off. 93k on mine.

And as far as getting on it and consuming oil, my 155 thousand mile Jeep with practically a modernized tractor engine uses less oil over an entire 3000 miles before an oil change, and I drive it exactly the same way.

Seems like oil consumtion is all over the place on these cars. My friend has a 99 GT with 55k and he uses like a quart every 2000 miles. I'm not worrying about mine, it will probably do better if I stop beating on it so much anyhow.

Put a pcv air/oil separator in there, and you'll be amazed at how much oil it collects (which would've just been burned.) My '04 with 8k on it filters out easily a tablespoon every 25 miles.

oil separator

sgarlic said:
Put a pcv air/oil separator in there, and you'll be amazed at how much oil it collects (which would've just been burned.) My '04 with 8k on it filters out easily a tablespoon every 25 miles.

You got that right. Check out the pic. This isn't the small $12 size that most people are getting (like the one Steeda sells). This is the larger size. Why? Because the smaller one can't hold more than an ounce without the intake sucking so hard to draw up the oil. For those that have the small one, ever notice how it never gets more than 1/3 to 1/2 full? For those that have used Seafom on the intake, you know how hard the damn thing sucks through the PCV hose. That much oil was caught in 400 miles ( 2 to 3 ounces). This equates to about 24 to 30 ounces at 5000 mile interval oil changes. I change mine every 3K to 4K.

Attachments

• Oil_sep.JPG
    Oil_sep.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 92
RandyStinchcomb said:
asper FoMoCo: using a qt of oil in under a 1k miles is considered normal.
i think ford just says that to cover their butt.

cars shouldnt burn oil. its not the way engines are built. oil circulation should be in an enclosed path, not escaping or burning anywhere. however, Honda's VTEC system does burn oil. at work we see it all the time, Integras coming in a quart or two low. reason is because the VTEC system uses the buildup of oil pressure to "activate" the more aggressive cam specs. this system is specific to Hondas though. no other car should burn/lose oil, unless there is a problem i.e. rings, oil pan gasket, etc etc etc.
i use royal purple full synthetic (synthetic is slicker and tends to seek out any leaks that regular oil may not have been able to seep through) and have not noticed any leaks at all after 46k miles.

DerekStangGT said:
i think ford just says that to cover their butt.

... no other car should burn/lose oil, unless there is a problem i.e. rings, oil pan gasket, etc etc etc.

You are misinformed.

Some is supposed to "escape".. on all vehicles equipped with a PCV system. That's what the PCV system does. Draws vapors from the crankcase, containing oil, and sends it in to the throttle body to be burnt. Every vehicle I've ever owned and regularly checked the oil on, required some bit of oil to be made up between changes. Every single one.

And you're right, it's not the way ENGINES are built, its the way emissions systems function.

sgarlic said:
You are misinformed.

Some is supposed to "escape".. on all vehicles equipped with a PCV system. That's what the PCV system does. Draws vapors from the crankcase, containing oil, and sends it in to the throttle body to be burnt. Every vehicle I've ever owned and regularly checked the oil on, required some bit of oil to be made up between changes. Every single one.

And you're right, it's not the way ENGINES are built, its the way emissions systems function.
I'm misinformed? the positive crankcase ventilation system takes blowby and routes it to the intake manifold where it can be reburned. blowby is specifically water vapor and unburned fuel that seep past the piston rings into the crankcase during engine operation.
:shrug:

sgarlic said:
You are misinformed.

and as far as losing oil, im talking about a quart or two. you should not be a quart or more low at every oil change. that means theres somthing wrong