How big is a stock gas tank?

Ok, today i was driving home, and my fuel light came on, i was at the last line before the red E line on my gas gauge, and i filled it up, it took 10.6 gallons. I read somewhere that the mustang gas tank is 15 gallons? :shrug: Is the gauge that inaccurate or is it less than 15 gallons? I figure it's something worth knowing so i don't get stranded out in bfe after beliveing i still had a good 5 gallons left to go..... So, my question is, how many gallons is the stock tank and how accurate is the gas gauge / fuel light.

Thanks,
-Bart

• Sponsors (?)

The gauge could be OK, the sender arm that holds the float may be bent.

The float should rest on the bottom of the tank when it is empty. At that point, the gauge should read all the way down, as far as the neddle will go.

Yea i have that problem in my 91 GT. The most gas i have ever been able to fit in the tank has been like 12 gallons. I have had the needle quite a bit below the E mark, and i have still only gotten 11.5 gallons in the tank. And the thing is that when i fill it the needle goes up fast the F by a little bit. I dont get it....if the tank is 15.4 gallons i still have like 3 gallons left in the tank.....thats pretty rediculous