How big of a weenie would I be....?

Arkham

Dec 17, 2004
OK, so I have a quandry. I use to live in the city, and hense needed no car. But now that I've moved to Long Island, I need a car. Not a problem so far, I';ve got a good 7500 saved up for a down payment. I've been lusting after the Mustang since..well, since i really started paying attention to cars, but i never had the money to own one.

But pricing them out, it seems I don't have enough to save for the GT. I COULD afford the v6 plus insure it (I'm gonna get raped on insurance, since i have not been insured in over 5 years).

So how much of a weenie would I be? Since I won't be buying for the next few months, is it better to wait for 2006? Do you folks expect demand to slow down a bit, and maybe a price drop?

• Sponsors (?)

Arkham said:
OK, so I have a quandry. I use to live in the city, and hense needed no car. But now that I've moved to Long Island, I need a car. Not a problem so far, I';ve got a good 7500 saved up for a down payment. I've been lusting after the Mustang since..well, since i really started paying attention to cars, but i never had the money to own one.

But pricing them out, it seems I don't have enough to save for the GT. I COULD afford the v6 plus insure it (I'm gonna get raped on insurance, since i have not been insured in over 5 years).

So how much of a weenie would I be? Since I won't be buying for the next few months, is it better to wait for 2006? Do you folks expect demand to slow down a bit, and maybe a price drop?

Depending on what options/colors you want, you may be able to find a V6 on a dealers lot that meets your needs especially if you are looking for an automatic. Manuals are definitely hard to find on a lot and usually have to be ordered. If you place an order now, you may not get it before the 06s come out anyway. There aren't going to be any significant changes for 06 except maybe a couple of new colors. It will be a while before demand slows down and there definitely won't be any price drop. Ford has already bumped the price once this year between the time I ordered mine and took delivery, although I got mine at the original price when I placed the order. Most likely there will be another bump in price for 06 probably 1-2%.

Arkham said:
But pricing them out, it seems I don't have enough to save for the GT. I COULD afford the v6 plus insure it...

So how much of a weenie would I be? ...

If you're refering to the fact that you're considering a V6 v's a V8, I believe that the V6 is plenty fun and powerful to drive. I'd recommend get some quotes (insurance) for both models, though. There's more to the V8 than more power and if you're looking for maximum fun, then the GT's the way to go (coupe or vert).

If you can afford a GT and the insurance isnt going to kill you and thats what you want get the GT.
If you cant the V-6 is awesome! I have had my V-6 for a little over 2 months, it is an auto, like Sam above said there are V-6s' autos on the lots. That is how I got mine. I love it. I did not desire all the power the GT offers and will never get a chance to use the 300horses it has.
It is my daily driver and it has plenty of power for passing, and entering highways.
Plenty of nice options for the V-6, and hopefully more aftermarket accesories will be offered for the V-6
That being said if you desire the GT, get the GT because I feel you may regret getting the V-6, you know the old saying "I should have gotten a V-8"
hope this helps

There's absolutely no shame in getting the V6. It's still a hell of a car with more than enough power. In terms of looks, people on the street will still turn heads when you drive by.

That being said, I love my V8 and if that is what you really want and can afford it, then go for the V8. But if it's out of your price range, I bet you'll still love driving a V6.

sacha said:
There's absolutely no shame in getting the V6. It's still a hell of a car with more than enough power. In terms of looks, people on the street will still turn heads when you drive by.

That being said, I love my V8 and if that is what you really want and can afford it, then go for the V8. But if it's out of your price range, I bet you'll still love driving a V6.

Well, i commute every day to work, and i can't really justify 500/mo + insurance for a car I will drive maybe 8-9 times monthy. I wish it was lower cost. But really, I think it was more a 'big penis' thing. The v-6 still would be a fun car. And hey, its still a mustang. :)

Finaly, I must make confession.

Forgive me father for I have sinned. I actualy considered not getting a Mustang and getting a Mazda6 **hangs head in shame**

Arkham said:
... But really, I think it was more a 'big penis' thing. The v-6 still would be a fun car...

Ah, just when I thought we'd got ourselves a V6 v's V8 thread without judgemental remarks... :rolleyes: And the knock comes from the V6 side, too (usually the other way around)!

Nothing phallic about it, the GT is a step above the V6, plain and simple. I'm only home to drive my car Fri-Sun, but for those days it's worth having the V8. If you go with the V6, though, you probably won't regret it. If you're not dead-set on the V8, then you're better off pocketing the savings on car/insurance costs.

I saw my first V6 up close for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it still has all the looks of the GT. Sonic Blue with white stripes and chrome rims. Great car for the price! :nice:

Arkham said:
Well, i commute every day to work, and i can't really justify 500/mo + insurance for a car I will drive maybe 8-9 times monthy. I wish it was lower cost. But really, I think it was more a 'big penis' thing. The v-6 still would be a fun car. And hey, its still a mustang. :)

Finaly, I must make confession.

Forgive me father for I have sinned. I actualy considered not getting a Mustang and getting a Mazda6 **hangs head in shame**

but the mazda 6 is built at the same factory....

As I stated I love the V-6 and what my car lacks in speed makes up for in looks, just ask the GT owners that were at the Ft Lauderdale Mustang show....
You will love the V-6, just make sure you dont have to justify buying the V-6 over the GT, you will end up regretting the purchase then

Amen.....Again.

I have a V6 on order, no shame, I can definately afford a GT. The V6 fits my lifestyle just fine.....It IS a Mustang no matter how many GT guys tell you it isn't a REAL Mustang. Look at any classic '65 or '66 driving down the street, do you really care if the fender badge says it has a 289 or not? NO. It's a classic.

I was looking for a new car for my wife because the one she has is 10 years old. I had my '99 F250 Diesel in for a fix and decided to look at the Mustang while I waited. That was a $22,000 test drive. I did not even drive a GT because the V6 had PLENTY of power for ME. Maybe not for YOU but for ME it was perfect and reminded me of my younger years when I so wanted a classic Mustang and could not afford one....now I can.

The only question was can I make this a family car with an 8 and 6 year-old. So I took the four of us down to the dealer, my wife insisted on test driving a 5 speed (wow was I impressed by her refusal to buy an auto trans in a Mustang.....Duh! she said).

Now, the kids fitting in the back was the real stickler. How naive am I??

My kids would have squeezed in the rear seat of a Corvette (LOL) if it looked like a 05 Mustang....."We fit fine....buy it, Daddy!" says my boy.

OK, minivan is out, $50,000 SUV is out. V6 Mustang is definately IN....

I may never drive it but oh well.....It's a classic already.

Don't get hung up on GT vs. V6.

It's a Mustang no matter what. :flag:

Wifes_not_Mine said:
...It's a Mustang no matter what. :flag:

Yes sir it is!
I have the v6, I love it. Drive it everyday, because its the only car I have. I wish I could drive it even more, but I have to be at work to pay for it. If you get it, you wont regret it. The V8 is sweet too. But as I have said before, and say it again..and you say it..and the others say it (except for some :notnice: V8 owners) its a MUSTANG..and its SWEEEEEEET!
:nice: :banana: :) :p :D :flag: