How dependable is a 97 Cobra as a daily driver?

TheDevil

Founding Member
Sep 11, 2002
Monkey paw
I drove a really clean low miles 97 cobra that im falling in love with and im wondering how dependable they are as a daily driver? Does anyone here have a high miles 97-98 cobra that theyve had for a while who could give me some insight?
Thanks in advance,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Daniel said:
I drove a really clean low miles 97 cobra that im falling in love with and im wondering how dependable they are as a daily driver? Does anyone here have a high miles 97-98 cobra that theyve had for a while who could give me some insight?
Thanks in advance,
Dan
As long as it's been taken care of, it will have no less dependability than most any other car. The only thing you have to worry about with it as a daily driver is gas mileage, but most people who drive mustangs don't give a **** about gas mileage. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems. Mine has 50k and the only problems I've had so far was a bad belt tensioner ($100) and every other problem was related to the aftermarket parts I've put on. If you don't know how to fix cars, you should learn. In case something does go wrong, you won't get ass-raped at a dealer b/c some areas of these cars can require an extra hour or two's worth of work, compared to your average four door sedan. But I guess that's kind of expected, too. You won't regret your purchase. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and thanks for the insight O.D. Showtime, I do most all my own work on both my vehicles in my sig now so thats not a problem, in fact I enjoy doing it.:nice: Im still contemplating trading my truck for it. This snake has 12,000 original miles, perfect black leather, showroom condition inside and out, its friggin beautiful and still has that new car smell. Its been driving me nuts all day today. The only thing is it would almost be a shame to drive it daily in the elements like a normal car, its almost too nice for that being so clean and all. I guess I'll have to make a decision this weekend. :crazy:

My friend has a mildly modified '96 Cobra, it served him well as a warm weather daily driver. As long the routine maintenance is being kept up, it should serve you well as a daily driver... I'm not sure if you are gonna drive it in snow because you live in New York City area, driving in snow is more than handful for me in my 1994 GT. I ended up buying a set of real snow tire for wintertime driving. Try www.tirerack.com for tire/rim combo set. And lastly, it may break your heart to see plenty of road pebble damage to your paintjob... I was been driving my GT for more than five years and I'm in college... it's showing some age now...

NJ is my primary residance now so yea there would be snow driving but I cant see how it could be worse than my 2WD truck, its pretty flat here so I think it would be doable.
And lastly, it may break your heart to see plenty of road pebble damage to your paintjob... I was been driving my GT for more than five years and I'm in college... it's showing some age now...
Yea thats the thing, my trucks nose and bumper looks almost like its been sandblasted from road debris, it would hurt to see that happen to a cobra over a short time not to mention knowing salt from the roads are slowly eating it alive, still it can be washed frequently in the winter and repainted in 5-7 years or so I guess.

Daniel said:
NJ is my primary residance now so yea there would be snow driving but I cant see how it could be worse than my 2WD truck, its pretty flat here so I think it would be doable. Yea thats the thing, my trucks nose and bumper looks almost like its been sandblasted from road debris, it would hurt to see that happen to a cobra over a short time not to mention knowing salt from the roads are slowly eating it alive, still it can be washed frequently in the winter and repainted in 5-7 years or so I guess.
If road debree is that bad you could always put a bumper bra on it.

96 cobra daily driver

i have a 96 cobra i purchased used in 2000 with 58K miles on it. The owner had taken very good care of the car and said he used Mobile 1 with every oil change at 3K-4K miles. I now have 157,000 miles on my Cobra and drive it 320 miles a week minimum. I have had 2 problems. 1) my IAC (idle air control valve) was gummed up. (caused intermittent sporatic idle on starting) replaced it myself. 2) replaced passenger side rear caliper i over torqued the piston when installing new rear brake pads and damaged the seal. so do i love my Cobra? yes! i get 280-320 miles on 12.5 -13.5 gallons depending on how i drive it. :nice:

Well guys, I must be one sick bastard because im getting married tomorrow, I have wedding rehearsal today and all I can think about is this fricken Cobra!!!! :rlaugh:

01TrueBlueCobra,
Yea the previous owner kept a bra on it even though he never drove it, its in the trunk. :nice:

SVTCobra97 and Stangme,
Its funny I had the IAC act up in my 98 f-150 too lol, but thats it. Its great to know these Cobra's and the amazing 32 valve motors last like the standard modular's and the pushrod 302's when taken care of!

Ok, well its off to the wedding rehearsal for me, after that Im gonna take another look at the Cobra with a couple family members. :D

Dude, I don't know the asking price for that 97, but I say, GET IT.

My 98 is a daily driver with 111000 miles showing...it still zooms to 7000rpm with NO complaints or hiccups. EVERYTHING works flawlessly!

It would be like having a new one to
start with.

If this 4.6 mod with 100k+ on it can stand up to my driving....you gotta' get it!

I went back today and it was sold.:nonono:
Thanks for all the reply's, I just might look around for another
but the chances of finding one localy like new with 12,000 miles for 16,000 bucks (probably less after hagling) might be kinda slim.:nonono:

too bad it was sold...

I have had my 97 for a little over a year and have put almost 25k miles on it (now has 88k total). I have had to do some minor repairs but nothing that was unexpected. It is my daily driver and now my only car. runs Real strong. I would not hesitate to buy another one (if needed) even if it had higher milage and was taken care and the price was right.

keep looking. you will find something.