How di I remove hubs from front drums?

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
I'm replacing the drums on the front of my 1970 (i know I should swap to disk) not sure how to get hub off drum - soaked with WD 40 and beat the center area with a rubber mallet and no luck - did a search and seen suggestion of usng hammer and beating out. Not sure if you strike lugs or center area. Any suggestions would be appreaciated - thanks

• Sponsors (?)

removing studs

First of all do not I repeat do not drive out with hammer this will damage or destroy hubs. The studs are pressed into hubthen swedged(mushroomed) over drum to hold it in place. You should take to a machine shop where they will use a special cutter that goes over stud and cut off the swedged part of stud.then you press out the studs. you will need new studs as they will be pressed thru hub/drum and then another special tool to reswedge the studs back over the drum to hold it firmley in place. After this you will need to have drums turned. expect to pay $30-50 per drum for this operation

I've been told that you can buy the drum and hub as a unit from NAPA, need to visit the store, it's not listed on line. Saves the hassle of removing the hub and having a new drum resurfaced. Check it out.