How Do I Remove Oil Control Valve Solenoid Grommet

Hi everyone, I'm trying to replace my oil control solenoids on my 174,000 mile 2005 Mustang GT purchased in Feb of 2005. The shop manual says simply to remove the grommet around the oil control solenoid, but I've bent the metal tabs up on the grommet and clamped a vise grip on each tab, then pulled as hard as I can and it doesn't move a bit. Short of putting a screw driver into the sides of the grommet and bending it up, I can't see how to get it out. Simple problem but I'm stymied.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Owner1

• Sponsors (?)

First off I would not remove the solenoids unless you plan to replace them or swap from one side to the other cause your car will not run and if it does say goodbye. To get the solenoids out you must remove the valve cover and remove a little screw that holds them in. I do not think it is possible to remove them through the seal. They are pressed in just like any other seal so you may want to buy new ones before you take them out because you will most likley ruin them unless you take the valve cover off and press/smack them out from the back. It may be possible with a chisel and hammer, if your familiar with that technique. Hope this helped

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I'm replacing the oil control solenoids. The service manual states that you remove the grommet without removing the valve cover, then remove the single screw holding the oil control solenoid at the bottom. I agree with you however that it can't be done with the valve cover on the engine, despite what Ford's shop manual says. I should have time to work on it after the 4th of July and will pull the valve covers off then. Thanks again for the answer.

Owner1