How do I tune a carb?

• Sponsors (?)

tuning help

mustangfreak_2001 said:
its a Edelbrock 600cfm

The Edelbrock carb is very easy to tune. You will need what they call a calibration kit($40). The calibration kit comes with jets and metering rods. If you look at the top of the carb you will see two screws each holding down a little plate smaller than the size of a dime. Back off the screws just enough to swing the plates aside. When you do, a little piston will pop up, pull the pistons out gently and you will notice a small brass rod hanging off of it. That is a metering rod. Stamped on the rod will be a number which tells you what size it is, if you try the next rod size larger, it will decrease your fuel, use the next size smaller, it will increase your fuel. If you need greater change in fuel flow you will have to change the jets. The jets are located in the same hole that your rod came out of(sounds kinda sexual doesn't it?). Man, this is taking longer to explain than I thought. Go to Edelbrocks web site, it will tell you everything you need to know. I just did it on my 83 GT, very easy. The web site is http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html.

Hope this is helpful, don't worry about it, it's just a little trial and error.