How do u use a torque wrench?

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
I've never used one befor, but i just came up on a brand new husky 39103, retails for 68 bucks!! neways i got it for free and it didnt have no directions. Im clueless on how to use one.

051655391036_4.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

select the torque you are going for and use it like a normal socket wrench when you are at the last tightening go slow and wait to hear a click, thats when you have hit your desired torque

they are the increments in ft-lbs, or NM (newton meters for people who care) you should have a scale going up the tool directly above the handle, and probably in 10's, since you said the handle is 0-9. say for example you want 65 ft-lbs, twist the handle up until you get to "5" on the handle just above the "60" on the stem of the torque wrench...

make sense? when it "clicks", that means you've acheived your preset torq value.

Also, when not in use, be sure to store it on it's lowest setting-NOT BELOW. If your lowest setting is 20, set it at 20, if it's 10 set it at 10...this helps keep the spring inside from being stretched over time and giving false readings.

I like that torque wrench. Mine is a 1/4" drive and only goes to about 25 ft/lbs. Your desired torque setting will never change unintentionally because of the spring loaded lock collar. Also, it doesn't really click like most others, it just gives and swings a pretty big arc. Good luck with it and don't drop it. Store it in the case when not in use.

btw - when you hear the click - stop turning! The wrench will continue to tighten the bolt if you keep turning it. The click just indicates you have reached the desired torque setting. It doesn't mean that you can't torque tighter if you keep turning the wrench. Some wrenches have better clicks than others - you want one that has a nice obvious click to it so there is no confusion.

jimbowy- that's what txstang was talking about, but some wrenches don't go to zero.

and be sure to NEVER turn counter clockwise, as this will ruin the torque wrench. good advise here people, A+

And remember ... if you use any kind of adapters or extensions ... your torque spec will no longer be valid. You must use a formula to figure out what to set your torque wrench to.

EDIT: Here is the formula.

A = Length of Torque Wrench

B = Length of Adapter

C = Torque Wrench Setting

D = Desired Torque @ End of Extension

Use this formula: C = D(A/A+B)

Usually, with deep well sockets or very short extensions, there's no need to worry about it, though. Only a couple ft. lbs. of difference or so.

SeventyMach1 said:
And remember ... if you use any kind of adapters or extensions ... your torque spec will no longer be valid. You must use a formula to figure out what to set your torque wrench to.

B = Length of Adapter

Usually, with deep well sockets or very short extensions, there's no need to worry about it, though. Only a couple ft. lbs. of difference or so.

I've seen u post that before but i was thinking about it...if u come up perpendicular to the top of the bolt, your lever arm is not changing which is what causes the torque when u turn it. Obviously a longer arm gives a higher torque and vice versa. But how does turning the wrench one inch above the bolt, or 8 inches above it change the torque that the bolt sees?

Just trying to imagine the mechanics of it....

SeventyMach1 said:

B = Length of Adapter

You might want to check your math on that..

Torque = Distance to center x force - doesn't matter how long the extension on the end of the wrench is, so long as its kept perpendicular to the bolt - once that changes, then your torque values will be off.

If you end up at an angle to the bolt that's being torqued, (say you are using a universal adapter to reach a bolt, then the torque is as follows..

Torque = (Distance to center x force) x Sin8 where 8 = theta or the angle between the force being applied and axis of the bolt. Ideally you want the angle to be 90* (sine 90 ~1). If your force rotates to a point where the torque wrench is parallel to the bolt, then the angle is 0*, and sine0*=0.

hmmm... 87gtsnake i just went and looked at mine. it also ratchets backwards and forwards.

when my dad gave it to me for my birthday he told me not to turn it backwards.... maybe he meant not to try and break bolts loose with it?

where it meters the torque it has an arrow pointing in the clockwise direction (indicating tightening motion)

SeventyMach1 said:

B = Length of Adapter

You need to be much more clear when you give this information. You must not be talking about adding a 6" extension to the socket. This length does NOT matter when measuring torque. Torque is a measure of the perpendicular distance between the force your applying and the pivot point.

Your information is only useful if you are somehow making the torque-wrench "arm" longer. Example: If you put a hollow steel tube on the end of your torque wrench, then you would be obviously applying more torque.

SeventyMach1 said:

B = Length of Adapter

Even if your logic about torque wrenches and extensions wasn't incorrect, your formula doesnt make sense anyway. Since A/A=1 then what your saying is that the desired torque at the end of the extension multiplied by the lenght of the extension equals the actual torque wrench setting?

This makes absolutely no sense.

87GTSnake said:
Even if your logic about torque wrenches and extensions wasn't incorrect, your formula doesnt make sense anyway. Since A/A=1 then what your saying is that the desired torque at the end of the extension multiplied by the lenght of the extension equals the actual torque wrench setting?

This makes absolutely no sense.

I Dont think he's saying a/a....its a/(a+b).