How do you guys decide where to buy parts from?

Rick 91GT

Mustang Master
Nov 29, 1999
PA
As I look to expand my business with more parts sales I was just wondering where everyone looks to for parts? Is it website ads? Forums Ads? Magazine Ads? Google? Based on Location?

• Sponsors (?)

I usually buy from summit, they price match, shipping is less than 15 bucks for just about anything, the part is at my door within 3 days and everytime ive had a problem, they send me a shipping label to get a part back, and if its there error they will overnight a part if needed.

They've always treated me good, so thats why i keep going back

depends what it is... for resto stuff i pretty much just use CJPP since they are pretty local and steve and bill have always treated me good!
for motor stuff i try and use local shops as much as i can but it still comes down to price since im a doin this on such a small budget since i just bought a house. but i use summit over jegs based of the ease of use of the website.
for the local stuff i base it a lot off customer service if they can all get things for around the same price. if you answer the phone like a dick im not going to order it from you. over the weekend we had an issue at the track and needed to replace the trans yoke on the coupe... one place we called had it in stock. great how late are you open (its around 2pm at this point) "not sure sure think i might be leaving in the next few minutes" ok what time do you open in the morning? "meah... not sure call me" needless to say bob didnt bother calling him back... he called Rhodes and Ron had one in the shop. but if your going to deal with customers over the phone like that you better have one hell of a product because your customer service BLOWS!

As I look to expand my business with more parts sales I was just wondering where everyone looks to for parts? Is it website ads? Forums Ads? Magazine Ads? Google? Based on Location?

I think your reputation on this forum would go hand in hand w/ advertising on it.

I don't have to tell you that you have price as the biggest obstacle to offering your business as an alternative to Summit/Jegs. There is no trade off to customer service w/ these guys either, as I have been more than happy w/ the service provided by Summit, and they have went above and beyond on more than a few occasions to ensure my satisfaction.
(also probably helps my case that I have spent tens of thousands w/ them over the last 20+ years)

For me, with certain parts it's cost. I'll google the part number, click shopping and see who offers what for pricing.

99% of my purchases have been nothing more than order and receive the parts...never really needed to use customer service so I stopped being so concerned with that.

price and reputation. right now im doing most with CJPP cause they are close on the price with everyone else but free shipping seals the deal.

I don't and won't shop at Summit, Jegs, etc. I look to deal with one or two people personally. Hopefully they can get all that I need. The web is powerful in a way that you never have deal with anyone on the phone, can order parts online, track orders, to the point that its almost too convenient. At that it comes down to price and availability.

Rick's prices are good and he's a good guy to deal with. I'll be purchasing things from him in the future.

Price is a big factor, sometimes I get summit to price match but like to deal with jegs more. I buy a lot of lightly used or bought but never installed parts to keep cost down also. There are no local good performance shops for me to order from otherwise I'd do that.

I deal with jegs for alot of stuff and they have always done right by me. I also read reviews and also see if someone had a problem and how they where treated, etc. I take some stuff with a grain of salt but you will some trends of poor service and people have the same type of problem..mustangs unlimited, blue oval ind. come to mind. I have used NPD, 50resto, jegs, cjpony, fox resto to name a few with great results and they have a high rating of good service majority if the time on just about all the forums I have been on.

The answer to your question is not where I shop, it's why I shop there? I mainly find the parts I need online, I never order from a magazine even though that might be where I get the idea to buy from. I don't ever pay attention to web ads or mag ads. I choose the company based on customer reviews and forum reviews. Once I find a company that has only a few complaints (every company has complaints, that's the only type of review people write these days) then I go by cost for the part/shipping and ship time and availability. Ads might work, but word of mouth is the best ad.

When I began looking for parts I searched google and eventually figured that the advertisers in the mags were worth a look. I've purchased from the big ones but do you want to know what makes a difference to me, shipping. I like to know that when I look at prices and the vendor is offering free shipping, the prices will not change (unless it's a large item that needs additional shipping). And obviously competitive pricing. I have a vendor that I can drive to that won't budge or price match so I order online instead of buying from them. Sad actually.

What matters to me is price and especially shipping costs b/c that ads up over time. I'm not usually looking to buy a bulk of stuff at one time either. Usually I'll need one thing here and another thing there and if it's a good price I'm going to go with the guy who has free shipping hands down. I do whatever I can to avoid that $14.99 shipping fee :) But that's just me.

I think Rick is looking for what attracts people to the website. Good customer service, fast cheap shipping, and low priced parts are a given, even though not all companies have this.

Ad's may help but I personally dont pay much attention to ads. Word of mouth is probably the biggest way to get your company out there. Its hard to find new company's on Google because its hard to sort out all the garbage. I personally dont read magazines, so the ad's in there dont really do it for me either. I mostly rely on what other people say on forums. The names of the companies and the experience they had. Its a good way to get your name out there just have to make sure you stay consistent so no one goes around giving you any bad reviews.

Another thing I look at once I reach the site is page layout, I use 50resto a lot because I like the page layout, with big pictures. Also detailed descriptions are important. Even though I find Summits website a little harder to navigate through I still use them a lot especially when I already know the part number for exactly what I am looking for, I also like how summit gives very detailed information like sizes, what does and does not come with the part, etc. If your really looking for some notoriety maybe some local television commercials haha, maybe even local newspaper (if anyone even reads those things anymore) or craigslist.

Hope that helps.

Shipping is usually the biggest thing to me. Most places tend to have almost the same price so thats not a biggie to me. If somebody is answering a phone taking orders then as said above they better have some customer service skills.

look for the part u want, best price wins in my book, gotta watch for shady looking/sounding/feeling companies on the web. there are alot of companies that sell products but look for the 1"s with a good reputation. look out for knock off's too. but there are always deals out there.

BTW Rick who makes your aluminum wings they look good especially on that green feature car

I designed and make the wings, I've done the struted wings as well and a few custom pieces. I actually have a new style for the fox that adds support with out top visable supports or struts, but I would like to make one and try it out before I sell the...

One reason I ask is advertising on the forums is actually pretty expensive, even though it can be written off at tax time it has to make sense to do it...

I get price matched against Summit and Jegs a lot, somethings I can sell cheaper but if your looking at ARP bolts and gaskets, its hard to compete against them even with my commerical account ;)