How do you keep Single-Stage paint (non clearcoat) from fading??

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
My V6 had been re-painted back in 2004 due to an unfortunate accident.Well,that and the original clearcoat was peeling all over the place.The paint that was used,I found is single-stage.That is,they mix basecoat and clear urethane instead of basecoat then clearcoat.

My problem is this.My V6 is Ultra White.That's the factory color.This paint constantly fades.I once thought it was light primer overspray but it's the paint fading to a dirty darker/yellow white.I buff it out with compound and apply wax.A couple weeks later it looks like sh** again.

Is there something I can use to slow this down so I'm not buffing it constantly? This removes a lot of paint and cant keep repeating before I get to primer.

• Sponsors (?)

I shoulda known on this one.It's like asking for a wax that keeps your clearcoat finish protected for a year straight.The paint still fades even with wax applied.

Another problem I've noticed with single stage paint...Dirt..grease and you name it...sticks to this paint like glue and it doesn't come off all too well without scrubbing the livin **** out of it....or using a little rubbing compound....again...more paint removal.

I've done detailing for years.Just looking to see if anyone knows something I havn't tried yet.

naw theres not much here but a new paint job. was i cars every day and sometimes the same ones within weeks and theres this one ive seen with your problem, it was an old guys blazer and it shines up really nice with the right wax but after a few weeks its back to day 1 with it ( it had noooo clearcoat)so its either new paint job or carpal tunnel lol.

you should take it back to the shop that painted it and tell them you want the factory 2 stage paint job like it was when the car was brought to them. there is no reason for them to paint the car any different then the factory did.

you should take it back to the shop that painted it and tell them you want the factory 2 stage paint job like it was when the car was brought to them. there is no reason for them to paint the car any different then the factory did.

Actually there is.This was repainted in 04.It got messed up on the front bumper and drivers side fender from an accident.Insurance company paid for it.I just paid a few extra for a repaint of the rest of the car.Was done at a dealership and I knew half the people there.So actually the coulple hundred I paid for the rest of the car paint wasn't all that bad.It looked horrible before.The paint was peeling and bare metal exposed on the roof.

You get what you pay for.Especially if its insurance work.I really didn't expect it to last this long.It still has shine .Just fades out faster.Not extremely like a paint that had the clear come off.Julight chalky fading in a couple weeks.

Posted via Mobile Device

Not a bad idea.But Nason is a pro brand that collision shops use (like PPG) and I would also have to buy the paint equipment.My driveway is the only place i'd be able to do this..I'll probably just go out and buy a few cans of Duplicolor clear and do a little at a time.I also still have about a quarter of a gallon of the paint they used on my car.He gave me the leftover paint with the hardener in a separate can (Nason) but of course...the shiτ in the can hardened into a rock.

Thanks for all the tips.I was mostly looking for alternative waxes/sealant's that may actually last a few months, aside of having to top a finish of paint over it.