how do you manually clear codes

notch351

Jul 30, 2010
I have a 94 mustang gt and i recently put a egr eliminator sensor in place of the egr. I know it is still throwing the engine light and this can majorly affect the way the car is running. I lost my paper work and need to know what the process is to manually clear code from computer. I know it has some thing to do with cycling the key but not sure please help.
thanks
car giving me major idle surge at cold start up

• Sponsors (?)

Unhook battery

That's one way but that also erases the learned settings stored in KAM as well. The correct way to clear just the codes is to start the test and when the codes start to display remove the jumper wire from the Diagnostic Connector. Disconnecting the battery erases the KAM which will cause the engine to run rough for a period of time while the PCM relearns the information.

thanks. I also found the way the manufacture of the egr delete selinoid recommended. it says if you don't have the scanner to disconnect the battery for 20min but also to turn the headlight switch to the on position durring that time then reconnect and go. well i'll see if it works. must be some simple ford factory secret or something funny like that who knows. anyway thanks for your imputs

what egr eliminator did you buy? i Got a adaptive performance one and it doesnt work...cel cimes on 2m in of driving...Ill try resetting the ecu....I would of left my egr crap in but the previous owner deleted it all.....

this gray plug is under the passenger side glove box?
I can't remember what bypass solenoid I got I will look. still not sure if mine works I cleared the trouble code but need to hook it back up to obd1 again just to check because my smog being removed also kicks off the cel. I am in the same boat the previous owner deleted the stuff

Yea, If I would ever leave my lights on and kill the battery, the Air Bag light would stay on after I jumped it. I had ford reset it with their plug in a few times, but they don't really like doing stuff for free. They told me to unhook the battery for 30 sec. News flash, lack of power is what caused the code, needless to say that never worked. Found somewhere online, they said there was that gray plug under the glove box, worked perfect. If I find it I'll post it. But it's there......

Found this on a mustangworks forum.......

I have received a few private emails asking me how to reset the Air Bag light after switching steering wheels, and wanted to post it for all. The procedure is simple, and goes like this:

1) Locate the connector below the glovebox, with a Black wire and a Tan wire with a Red tracer.
2) Turn the ignition on, and watch for a Code 52 to be flashed out.
3) After it has flashed out once, connect the two wires in the connector with a jumper (a paperclip works well) for 5 seconds.
4) The Air Bag Controller will then beep 5 times.
5) The code is now cleared out of the system.

This code will appear anytime the Air Bag fuse is blown or removed, or if the battery voltage falls below 8vdc.

Take care,
-Chris

So maybe it only works for the airbag light. IDK, try it and find out

this gray plug is under the passenger side glove box?
I can't remember what bypass solenoid I got I will look. still not sure if mine works I cleared the trouble code but need to hook it back up to obd1 again just to check because my smog being removed also kicks off the cel. I am in the same boat the previous owner deleted the stuff

yeah I would of left the crap in personally...no gains from remoiving an egr oh welll.lemme know how yours turns out!