how do you powershift????i never done it??

• Sponsors (?)

SLOW98GT said:
That is it! Just hold the gas pedal to the floor and rip it into the next gear.

along with ripping the trannie out... let off the gas a little just so next week we don't see a "my trannie is it peices" thread. the idea would be to let off the gas just enough so that your rpms match the speed your drivetrain is spinning when your clutch engages.

my older brother chirps all the time in his cobra due to powershifting... he hasnt had any problems yet with the tranny though. I never tried it cuz im too scared to mess up my car...... does powershifting make you any faster?????

powershifting , helpful hint on how to do it right , old school style , when you start to take off in first , do this , grab the shifter while you have the pedal floored , if you have a decent clutch it shouldnt come out of gear as long as you are HARD on the throttle , pull back like you are trying to rip it out of the floor , when you get the revs about 200 to 500 rpms from where you wanna shift , stomp on the clutch pedal has hard and as fast as you can without letting off the gas , keep the gas DOWN , snap the clutch in and out bam bam , dont hesitate with it or you will MISS , your pulling back will pull it into second without even thinking about it , if none of you have been doing this try it tomorrow and let me know how it works for you , some people can do it some cant , seems to be a thing that just comes to you . Do third gear the same way but be very very careful , if you arent sure about your skills dont do it , ive seen to many people that thought they could drive a car slam one back into first , done it myself when i was mad at my girl , isnt good on the car , just push up and over to third while you are accelerating thru second gear , same process , 200 to 500 rpms shy of shift point , BAM in and out with the clutch pedal as fast as you can smack it down with your foot let off , some people side step it sometimes called , they kick it down and slide their foot off the left side of the pedal to make it even quicker , dont do this until you got the basics down of proper power shifting , alot of the older guys wont tell the younger guys how to do this properly because it does give you an edge if the other guy granny shifts or just shifts fast . do fourth the same way , hopefully by then you are smoking the other guy . and DONT LET OFF THE GAS

Good luck

Im not going to say that its fine to do it, because i dont want to be blamed for someone blowing a trans. however my bullitt has hundreds of powershifts in it. Like posted above, that description is pretty well done on how to powershift. i also "preload" the stick like posted above. Also, if you want you can sliiiiiiightly let off the gas if you are uncomfortable with a full throttle shift. either way it is more effective and faster then granny shifting or speed shifting. (as for how much faster, i have read that powershifting can make a difference of .2 in the quarter mile) IMO powershifting puts more stress on the clutch rather then the trans, as the clutch is being hammered pretty hard.
With all that said, i powershift everytime i race. its faster and more fun. :)
Mike

Shift HARD!

Powershifting is definitely faster. Any time spent shifting is time not spent accelerating.

There are two different types of shifting used in order to enhance shifting performance. They are "powershifting" and "speed shifting", and both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Powershifting is where you do not lift off of the gas during the shift. This is the absolute fastest way to shift the trans, but it's downfall is that it is very hard on the powertrain. This begins with the clutch linkage/cable and continues all the way back to the tires. Synchros and gears in the trans can be damaged, u-joints may fail, axles could break and the tires get worn. This can be amplified by using slicks on a higher powered car. Another less common but just as important flaw is that a missed shift can result in damage being done to the engine from overrevving it. If used in moderation, this technique is very good and will definitely cut your e/t. I powershift 95% of the time at the track and have noticed at least 2 tenths drop in e/t.

The other method is speed shifting, which is much less detrimental to the drivetrain, yet still very quick. To speed shift, you let off of the accelerator momentarily while shifting, and immediately reapply full throttle as you are releasing the clutch. This allows the "slack" in the drivetrain to take some of the jolt from the shift, and full power is not being applied when the clutch is released. I've noticed about a tenth reduction in e/t. When I am messing around on the street, I always speed shift instead of powershift...Unless I hear a ricer blowoff valve on whatever I'm racing... :rlaugh:

Sorry for the long post, but I like to be specific.

J.P.

2002BLGT said:
powershifting , helpful hint on how to do it right , old school style , when you start to take off in first , do this , grab the shifter while you have the pedal floored , if you have a decent clutch it shouldnt come out of gear as long as you are HARD on the throttle , pull back like you are trying to rip it out of the floor , when you get the revs about 200 to 500 rpms from where you wanna shift , stomp on the clutch pedal has hard and as fast as you can without letting off the gas , keep the gas DOWN , snap the clutch in and out bam bam , dont hesitate with it or you will MISS , your pulling back will pull it into second without even thinking about it , if none of you have been doing this try it tomorrow and let me know how it works for you , some people can do it some cant , seems to be a thing that just comes to you . Do third gear the same way but be very very careful , if you arent sure about your skills dont do it , ive seen to many people that thought they could drive a car slam one back into first , done it myself when i was mad at my girl , isnt good on the car , just push up and over to third while you are accelerating thru second gear , same process , 200 to 500 rpms shy of shift point , BAM in and out with the clutch pedal as fast as you can smack it down with your foot let off , some people side step it sometimes called , they kick it down and slide their foot off the left side of the pedal to make it even quicker , dont do this until you got the basics down of proper power shifting , alot of the older guys wont tell the younger guys how to do this properly because it does give you an edge if the other guy granny shifts or just shifts fast . do fourth the same way , hopefully by then you are smoking the other guy . and DONT LET OFF THE GAS

Good luck

Are you power shifting? I diid when my car was stock but these transmissions are not rated to withstand the power of a blown motor.

I don't power shift anymore. if you do it enough you will eventually break something. most likely you clutch. then again I am not one of those I would rather break my car and win vs lose kind of people. there is always someone faster so I just speedshift.

it is directly functional to your power level and drivetrain strength. I have had all the springs pop out of my clutch disc and stuff like that before. not a very expensive mod but still work. now I am lazy. like upgrading but not replacing broken parts. when I was yonger I liked breaking things so I could upgrade them.

There's some great posts on this thread!

I generally shift w/o preloading the trans.
*I suggest an aftermarket shifter first (mine is a pro 5.0 and handle from www.konaracing.com :nice: ).
*If you do it right you should't drop but about 500rpm between shifts.
*If you shift it like you hate it your doing it right.
*Might I also suggest a drive shaft safety loop first?

Not for everyone and not everyday but it sure is fun and probably the only way you'll get a third gear scratch (atleast in factory trim).

P.S. ...sooner or later you WILL break something.

Do these powershifting instructions go for shifting a dog gearbox also? I have a Liberty gear modified dog box (i.e. supposedly clutchless shifts, no synros, wicked looking dog rings welded on gears and modified gearset) which doesnt seem to want to come out of gear under full throttle. What do I do? Just pull harder or blip the clutch or what? Anyone use a dog box out there who can help me?