David Elswick

May 3, 2016
So i have gotton the cable to come off the spring but there is like this hoop that is on the caliper. Well the emergency brake cable goes thru that hoop how do i get it out of there? I am trying to replace the caliper it will be awesome if someone could tell me how to do this. Does anyone know how to get the old banjo bolt and washer off i could not figure it out so i just put the car back together and now my brakes work worse then they did before.

• Sponsors (?)

I have gotton the cable off of the spring already. There is a hoop that is on the caliper that holds the emergency brake cable to the caliper then the cable goes thru that hoop onto the spring hook. I have already been able to remove it from the spring hook but i can not get it out of that hoop

There should be a retainer clip on the side towards the spring. It clips on the e brake cable part that goes through that hoop. Sometimes the cable end will get stuck in the hoop....in that case a little pb blaster and a pair of pliers, usually does the trick. Just grab the metal cable end and twist it back and forth while pulling it out the hoop. A lot of these cars didn't ever get the retaining clip installed after replacement ( kinda useless c- clip ). Hope this helps.

The cable is held to the caliper by an E-clip retainter on the backside. You just need a small screwdriver to pry it off. Don't lose it, but if you don't it's a pretty standard size. Just get a kit with assorted sizes.

you can see the clip here
pic12_med.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So i figured out how to do it. After removing the C Clip take a 10MM socket and put it on the end of the cable that connect to the spring then put a flat head thru the 10MM and beat like mad until it comes out of the hoop. It worked for me :D

The cable is held to the caliper by an E-clip retainter on the backside. You just need a small screwdriver to pry it off. Don't lose it, but if you don't it's a pretty standard size. Just get a kit with assorted sizes.

you can see the clip here
pic12_med.jpg
I know this is an old thread but I'm just doing the rear brakes on my 2004 GT and don't see the relevance of removing the "c" clip. Still having trouble getting the cable off the caliper. If you're still out there, how about some help!!

I know this is an old thread but I'm just doing the rear brakes on my 2004 GT and don't see the relevance of removing the "c" clip. Still having trouble getting the cable off the caliper. If you're still out there, how about some help!!

I don't understand the question. If you don't remove the clip, how do you expect to pull the csble through the eye to separate it from the caliper? The clip secures the cable in place.

If you are doing rear pads only, no need to remove the cable. But if you are replacing the entire caliper, you must remove the cable

I don't understand the question. If you don't remove the clip, how do you expect to pull the csble through the eye to separate it from the caliper? The clip secures the cable in place.

If you are doing rear pads only, no need to remove the cable. But if you are replacing the entire caliper, you must remove the cable
I'm doing calipers, they are rusted bad and the pins are frozen. Removed the clip but cable isn't moving, will work on it again today. Soaked everything in Blaster, maybe that will help. Thanks for reply.

FYI, just solved my problem. The spring was keeping the cable to come off the caliper, too close to the cable to come off. Took the bolt out that holds the spring, the spring and bolt flew off, fortunately away from me, pretty strong spring, but did the trick. Now I know what the "C" clip is for!! Ready to put it back together, shocks, calipers, rotors and pads. Thanks again.