How do you take a 1996 Front bumper Absorber off?

JickiMajix

Sep 25, 2006
Hello all I have a couple questions.

First off I am trying to repair my sisters 1996 V-6 Mustang coupe.

She rearended a crown vic (keep'n it in the ford family) and it knocked off the bumper cover, broke all lights and assembilies, bent the bumper support and the two crumple zone absorbers that connect to the frame and core support, it also popped both bags :(

Here is my question I got the most of the parts off and ready to start reassembling but I cannot figure out how to get the absorbers and the bumper support off?????

Looks like there is foam in the core in the center of it and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the doG damn thing off.

Does anyone have a diagram or can you explain how to get it off???

Thanks in Advance Jick

• Sponsors (?)

1. Detach the plastic clips that secure the lower edge of the bumper cover.
  2. Detach the retaining screws that secure the bumper cover to the inner fenderwell splash shield (you have to be working in the wheel opening)
  3. Pry out the lower edge of the splash shield and reach up behind the bumper cover and remove the retaining nuts (hooks the bumper cover to the fender)
  4. Remove the 2 retaining rivets the secure the bumper cover (upper portion) and pull the bumper cover out. They will probably have to be drilled out.
Hopes this helps (a summary of the manual). I assume your air bags have already deployed... if not disconnect the negative battery terminal before working.