How does a engine stand hold an engine?

• Sponsors(?)

12sec67

Oct 6, 2003
San Diego, Ca
the 4 brackets adjust, to hold the engine from the back side-using the holes that are also used to hold the bellhousing. you can use the same bolts that are taken off from the bellhousing to the engine.

none67

Oct 19, 2003
yup, 12sec. has said it perfect.

the engine (When completely together) is a little "shakey", but when the cyl. heads are off its pretty stable.

hindle

Jan 9, 2004
Flemington, NJ
Make sure you buy one with 4 wheels, not 3. A lot of the cheaper ones only have 1 wheel in the front and they get a little tipsy sometimes with a longblock on it.

-John

GaPonyFarm

Jan 2, 2004
Columbus, GA
Visit site
I've seen alot of them lately that need longer bolts than the tranny bolts... the spacers on the stand seem to be getting longer. Might be a good idea to check before trying to mount the engine to the stand, so you have time to head off to Home Depot for longer bolts.

D.Hearne

Sep 29, 2000
south louisiana
Visit site
I would avoid using the grade 5 bolts that Home Depot stocks, you'd be much safer with a good set of grade 8 or 9 bolts for this purpose. Your motor and your feet are worth more than the dubious strength of a grade 5 bolt.

none67

Oct 19, 2003
well, personaly, when it comes to something like holding the main part of your car up, and your own hands and feet. I try not skip out on it. I mean why not spend the extra 1 buck for the best bolts. I bought mine for 4 bucks(1 buck a bolt) (cdn) at UAP, i got harded long bolts, best they had. Its just not worth the 2 dollar risk to ruin you feet, hands, and you eninge, but thats just me.

rbohm

SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
tucson,az
you can also use the maincap bolts to hold the engine to the stand. they are designed for a heavy load. and you are replacing the main cap bolts wheny ou rebuild the engine arent you?

GaPonyFarm

Jan 2, 2004
Columbus, GA
Visit site
D.Hearne said:
I would avoid using the grade 5 bolts that Home Depot stocks, you'd be much safer with a good set of grade 8 or 9 bolts for this purpose. Your motor and your feet are worth more than the dubious strength of a grade 5 bolt.
Home Depot, Lowe's, etc...do sell grade 8 bolts. Maybe I should have stated the desired grade... However, grade 5 bolts are more than 20x times the required strength to hold an engine on a stand... How much do you guys think an engine weighs, anyway??? Let's see... 500 lbs over 4 bolts= 125lbs. An aluminum bolt would be strong enough.

If you want dubious quality, just keep using those stretched and often stressed out main bolts.. my feet are definitely worth too much to trust brittle bolts.

D.Hearne

Sep 29, 2000
south louisiana
Visit site
Well, I've seen a fullly dressed 302 and a 390 sitting on a stand and it bending, but I'd still trust a used main bolt before using a grade 5 bolt that was probably made in China. Never had a main bolt break, but have seen lots of grade 5's come apart, with very little effort.

rbohm

SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
tucson,az
and even though the main cap bolts are stressed, they will handle the load much better than a cheap grade 5 bolt will. also remember that just holding an engine on the stand is far less stressfull than holding a spinning crank in the engine. mine are holding just fine thank you.

speedy66

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2000
glendale,arizona,usa
hometown.aol.com
I have seen grade 5s snap with a 6 cyclinder on the stand.. Why be cheap and risk it.. main bolts are a good idea.. grade 8 or 9 are my choice.. i believe mine are grade 8.. dont have a problem with the bolts bending.. but my ending stand bends..???

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
www.edbert.net
D.Hearne said:
I never thought of using the main bolts, that's a good idea. I've got a couple dozen extras, I'll try them. :nice:
For a small block I used the shorter of the head bolts, they fit perfectly on my motor/stand. Of course not all stands have the exact same mouting flanges so YMMV.

72grande

Founding Member
May 27, 2002
Sunny D
1320stang said:
gp001 said:
Bolts? The stand uses magic to hold the engine.QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought it was magic pixie dust too. :D
The problem with the PDH'd (Pixie dust holders) is you have to keep thinking happy thoughts. Usualy this isnt a problem when daydreaming about your how your refreshed engine is going to run, but smash you finger and let out a good f-bomb and its likey to fall on your foot and make things worse.

gp001

Founding Member
Jun 30, 2001
So. Cal.
72grande said:
The problem with the PDH'd (Pixie dust holders) is you have to keep thinking happy thoughts. Usualy this isnt a problem when daydreaming about your how your refreshed engine is going to run, but smash you finger and let out a good f-bomb and its likey to fall on your foot and make things worse.
That's why I put up baloons, pictures of puppies, and pre-purchased tickets to Disneyland while I use it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
67_Ellie My engine is too big for the a/c does anyone know a solution? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 3
PDOGG74 How Strong And How Long Does The Engines Last For Mach1 SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
krazedstang How Does This Engine Combo Sound?? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 22
The_Grayt_1 My 01 Gt Has A Service Engine Soon Light Come On, Pulled Code P0153, What Does It Mean? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
R Getting My First Mustang Tomorrow, Which Engine Does It Have? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
BillyT903 What does this cold start engine ticking sound like to you? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
J Does check engine light normally come on when you turn ignition to accessory position Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
T Does this mean big engine trouble Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
4.6andSlicks Does my 2001 engine have the cheap plastic intake? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
oz Why does my starter continue to turn the engine even after I remove the key? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
P 01 engine turns but does not fire! help?? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
M Engine does not crank and instrument panel is off SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
D what does it take to upgrade a stock engine for serious boost 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
G Blown engine....does this explanation sound feasible? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 43
SadbutTrue In a 66, does a set of 65 motor mounts drop the engine at all? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 18
H How long does a new engine run a little warmer? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 17
P mystery engine 351w what does it make? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
W Does Glyptal coating really help oil flow in engines? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 10
T My engine does not sit right (pics inclued) 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 33
Seraphitia102 Does anyone have a link to some nice looking engine dress up kits? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
Cannoball888 How does an engine make a car unstreetable? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 38
1FatPony New engine in!!! Where does this wire go??? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
reenmachine Heidt's MII suspension DOES NOT change engine position: PROOF Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
fox racer painting engine accessories, does paint matter? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
E (Xcal2) Which one of these is my engine Code? What does my Code look like? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
281pony Cleaning engine bay, who does it? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 27
BigChiefSmokem What does and engine misfire sound like? need help SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
Detector What does this tag tell about my engine? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
BlueOvalStangGT What oil does everyone use and what oil to use for engine break-ins?? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
V Does anyone know anything about engines? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
h0oligan Check engine code, what does it mean? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
O Does my 2000 GT have a "PI" Engine??? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
IMPORTSMOKER does fuel pressure hold with the engine off?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
C how does oil get into the engine combustion chambers? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
L Engine mounts - what does it take? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
Venom351R How does this sound for a new Engine? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
stock88 Does engine need to be grounded? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
R What does the cobra engine go for new? SVT Tech Forum 8
A Check Engine Code, what does it mean? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
syberjunkie What type of engine does the '96 Cobra have? SVT Tech Forum 2
1993 2.3LX Why does my Engine bog so bad? 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 33
S What does an engine rebuild cost and what does it involve? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
6 How does this intake sound with my engine combo? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
S Does anyone run an Allen Engines Supercharger??? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
88GTMustang Does Boring an Engine Add any HP? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 29
Legendary Does my motor need an engine oil cooler? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
red ink Kinda a dumb question..does this engine come with the cam? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 6
stangboy What exactly does detonation hurt in an engine? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
K How does this look in terms of a list of mods for my '04 3.9L v6 SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 9
silverlx50 Engine Does anyone have a picture of the O2 sensor harness orange ground wire? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5