How does a engine stand hold an engine?

vdubsta

Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
Something like this...How does the engine hold on to this
647513.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

the 4 brackets adjust, to hold the engine from the back side-using the holes that are also used to hold the bellhousing. you can use the same bolts that are taken off from the bellhousing to the engine.

I've seen alot of them lately that need longer bolts than the tranny bolts... the spacers on the stand seem to be getting longer. Might be a good idea to check before trying to mount the engine to the stand, so you have time to head off to Home Depot for longer bolts.

I would avoid using the grade 5 bolts that Home Depot stocks, you'd be much safer with a good set of grade 8 or 9 bolts for this purpose. Your motor and your feet are worth more than the dubious strength of a grade 5 bolt.

well, personaly, when it comes to something like holding the main part of your car up, and your own hands and feet. I try not skip out on it. I mean why not spend the extra 1 buck for the best bolts. I bought mine for 4 bucks(1 buck a bolt) (cdn) at UAP, i got harded long bolts, best they had. Its just not worth the 2 dollar risk to ruin you feet, hands, and you eninge, but thats just me.

you can also use the maincap bolts to hold the engine to the stand. they are designed for a heavy load. and you are replacing the main cap bolts wheny ou rebuild the engine arent you?

D.Hearne said:
I would avoid using the grade 5 bolts that Home Depot stocks, you'd be much safer with a good set of grade 8 or 9 bolts for this purpose. Your motor and your feet are worth more than the dubious strength of a grade 5 bolt.

Home Depot, Lowe's, etc...do sell grade 8 bolts. Maybe I should have stated the desired grade... However, grade 5 bolts are more than 20x times the required strength to hold an engine on a stand... How much do you guys think an engine weighs, anyway??? Let's see... 500 lbs over 4 bolts= 125lbs. An aluminum bolt would be strong enough.

If you want dubious quality, just keep using those stretched and often stressed out main bolts.. my feet are definitely worth too much to trust brittle bolts.

Well, I've seen a fullly dressed 302 and a 390 sitting on a stand and it bending, but I'd still trust a used main bolt before using a grade 5 bolt that was probably made in China. Never had a main bolt break, but have seen lots of grade 5's come apart, with very little effort.

and even though the main cap bolts are stressed, they will handle the load much better than a cheap grade 5 bolt will. also remember that just holding an engine on the stand is far less stressfull than holding a spinning crank in the engine. mine are holding just fine thank you.

I have seen grade 5s snap with a 6 cyclinder on the stand.. Why be cheap and risk it.. main bolts are a good idea.. grade 8 or 9 are my choice.. i believe mine are grade 8.. dont have a problem with the bolts bending.. but my ending stand bends..???

D.Hearne said:
I never thought of using the main bolts, that's a good idea. I've got a couple dozen extras, I'll try them. :nice:
For a small block I used the shorter of the head bolts, they fit perfectly on my motor/stand. Of course not all stands have the exact same mouting flanges so YMMV.

1320stang said:
gp001 said:
Bolts? The stand uses magic to hold the engine.QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought it was magic pixie dust too. :D

The problem with the PDH'd (Pixie dust holders) is you have to keep thinking happy thoughts. Usualy this isnt a problem when daydreaming about your how your refreshed engine is going to run, but smash you finger and let out a good f-bomb and its likey to fall on your foot and make things worse.

72grande said:
The problem with the PDH'd (Pixie dust holders) is you have to keep thinking happy thoughts. Usualy this isnt a problem when daydreaming about your how your refreshed engine is going to run, but smash you finger and let out a good f-bomb and its likey to fall on your foot and make things worse.

That's why I put up baloons, pictures of puppies, and pre-purchased tickets to Disneyland while I use it.