How does my stock shift knob come off?

• Sponsors (?)

SteedaGT9150 said:
i recently got a new shift knob and im not sure how to take my stock one off. thanks for the help

brendan

It's a pretty easy job for 2 people, but you could probably do it yourself if you are skilled. It does require quite a few tools though. You'll need a hammer, phillips head, flat head, hex wrenches, a flashlight, and a 2x4 about 2 feet long. Take your hammer and put it in your tool box, once that's completed, do the same with the wrenches and screwdrivers. Change the batteries in your flashlight so it's good next time you need it, I hate it when the batteries are dead, GOD! Next put the 2x4 under your back wheels so the car doesn't move. Then sit in the front seat and grab a hold of that thing and give'er'hell. I think it's been said once but, righty tighty, lefty loosey. :bang:

To install, simply reverse the process, take all of your tools out, turn your flashlight on, and righty tighty that stinker on there.

Aaron'S'tang said:
It's a pretty easy job for 2 people, but you could probably do it yourself if you are skilled. It does require quite a few tools though. You'll need a hammer, phillips head, flat head, hex wrenches, a flashlight, and a 2x4 about 2 feet long. Take your hammer and put it in your tool box, once that's completed, do the same with the wrenches and screwdrivers. Change the batteries in your flashlight so it's good next time you need it, I hate it when the batteries are dead, GOD! Next put the 2x4 under your back wheels so the car doesn't move. Then sit in the front seat and grab a hold of that thing and give'er'hell. I think it's been said once but, righty tighty, lefty loosey. :bang:

To install, simply reverse the process, take all of your tools out, turn your flashlight on, and righty tighty that stinker on there.

:bs: :rlaugh:

I got 1 up on Aaron my new book has a chapter on tightening and loosening. Other chapters include gas cap removal, fuel replacement, and door opening.
In Steedas' defense I didnt know if it had a clip, set screw or other mechanism to ensure it stayed in place.