how fast are lt1's

• Sponsors (?)

Pennywise2 said:
Bone stock or mildly modified LT1's are a joke. :rlaugh:
Your car could beat one if you know how to drive.
Add boost or H/C/I they are actualy pretty quick.

I gotta disagree, a 6 speed LT1 will be very even with a 99+ GT 5 speed. And the autos arent far behind... Unfortunatly for us aswell, they still take better to mods than our 4.6's, but not as much as the LS1's.

Drivers race stock for stock.

my friend has a 6spd lt1 and its not even close when i race him at the track and he still pulls a better 60' than me his best run was a 9.5 at like 76 and i run 9.2 at 79.8 to 80.3 i do have a little bit more mods than him but not a whole lot basically just mid pipe and catback when i raced him and he had a catback oh and its a 95 i think

Pennywise2 said:

:rolleyes: they were a high 13 second car built in the early to mid 90's mustang gt's of that era were running 15's So if they were such a joke what does that make stock 15 second cars like the WRX and the mid 90's gt's

I can not think of any other affordable 13 second cars built durring that time period. If you go back a few years the buick GN's were probally the closest thing. I don't know how old you are but high 13's low 14's from the factory was not common at all in those days.

My buddy's light modded auto 95 lt1 and my conv. 5 spd mustang with said mods below are right now DEAD even... can't tell who wins when we do digs (with both having a good launch) and 60 rolls...

lt1's are great.cheap, easy to build and nearly indestructable. too bad the gm platforms are so heavy. still short of a 5.0 fox, I cant think of a better platform for a budget racer.

Pennywise2 said:

:rolleyes: If you find one that is in good shape and still stock (rare), then it will be a drivers race with a 99+ GT. Factor in the huge aftermarket for the SBC, and a N/A potential of a 350ci engine, and suddenly the LT1 doesn't look like such a joke. The main problem plaguing the performance of those cars is the stupid Optispark distributor... not only is it a POS but it's a royal pain to replace. Frankly, I like the LT1; ever since the LS1 came about, the LT1 has been treated much like the NPI 4.6 has... except this engine actually has potential and can be built to eat LS1s for breakfast. Good ol' underdog coming back to have the last laugh

Buddies stock LT1 T/A went 13.5 in the 1/4...ONCE...had a freaky low 60'ft, total fluke lmao... Consistant 13.8's all night long though. Another buddy has a LT1 camaro with some spray (100 shot I think) and runs 13.0's. Basically they are as fast as PI GT's :shrug:

It's like any other race. Line'em up kick'em off.

I've raced several, beaten a few been beaten a few times. lt1 Vs PI gt is really a drivers race.
The lt1 is a great platform but they brought out the ls1 which is a better platform. If it wasn't for the fact that I can't stand the looks of the 4th gen fbodies I'd prolly pick up an lt1 car.

Hmmmmmm I do have that SCAT 383 crank for an lt1 sitting in my garage....

BennyBlown2v said:
Buddies stock LT1 T/A went 13.5 in the 1/4...ONCE...had a freaky low 60'ft, total fluke lmao... Consistant 13.8's all night long though. Another buddy has a LT1 camaro with some spray (100 shot I think) and runs 13.0's. Basically they are as fast as PI GT's :shrug:

stock for stock, yes they are basically the same as PI GTs. But as svttech said, at the time, the LT1 was king of the streets. In 93 when it was introduced in the new 4th gen F-body, the fastest stock mustang could hit 14s at best, while the camaro could delve into the 13s. So its not really apples to apples, of course Ford will come up with something to compete with it eventually, but it took them until 1999 to make a car that could run with an LT1 in stock trim. But by that time it was too late, and GM had the LS1 to spank mustangs once again. It's like since the late 80s Ford has constantly been trying to play catch up in the power dept :shrug:

Gotta agree....while LT1's may not be touched by "god"....they are certainly no joke! Yeah, a modded GT can beat one, but back when they were new, they were one of the quickest platforms available for the mass market. Year for year, camaro's have always been a step ahead....even when Ford tried to outdo the camaro by introducing a special version of a mustang, chevy would just outdo them with an SS or something. SS camaro's FTW!

stangGT97 said:
stock for stock, yes they are basically the same as PI GTs. But as svttech said, at the time, the LT1 was king of the streets. In 93 when it was introduced in the new 4th gen F-body, the fastest stock mustang could hit 14s at best, while the camaro could delve into the 13s. So its not really apples to apples, of course Ford will come up with something to compete with it eventually, but it took them until 1999 to make a car that could run with an LT1 in stock trim. But by that time it was too late, and GM had the LS1 to spank mustangs once again. It's like since the late 80s Ford has constantly been trying to play catch up in the power dept :shrug:

The LT-1 came out the same year I got a license, so I remember them fairly well. One guy in my town got one in 94 and put a spanking on much of the local 5.0 crowd and his car was bone stock, man those 5.0 guys got pissy about that. In fact some of them got fighting mad over it and it got ugly between the ford crowd and gm crowd at this local car hangout back then. At the time I had a 87 turbo-t regal with light mods ( chip, 36 # injectors, adjustable wastegate, homemade cold air, gutted cat and catback running 17 # or so on 94 octane) I raced a LT-1 z28 with a cold air cat back and a programmer and I put a hurting on him up untill 70 or so then he reeled me in and got me by his bumper.. needless to say I was shocked. Those cars were hardly a joke.

svttech76 said:
:rolleyes: they were a high 13 second car built in the early to mid 90's mustang gt's of that era were running 15's So if they were such a joke what does that make stock 15 second cars like the WRX and the mid 90's gt's

I can not think of any other affordable 13 second cars built durring that time period. If you go back a few years the buick GN's were probally the closest thing. I don't know how old you are but high 13's low 14's from the factory was not common at all in those days.
You have a point Mike.Your average driver will run low 14's with stock
LT1's with alot of practice I am sure high 13's are possible.Since driving
a 95 Z28 LT1 six speed it seemed like it died off at the end of third gear.
LT1 compaired to the LS1/LS2 powerplant they are a joke in my opnion.
I have hit high 14's with both my old WRX and my Mustang but, they were
both pretty much stock.Since we are compairing cars the Subaru STI
will not only beat a LT1 but,will give a LS1 a run for the money all things
being equal.

Pennywise2 said:
You have a point Mike.Your average driver will run low 14's with stock
LT1's with alot of practice I am sure high 13's are possible.Since driving
a 95 Z28 LT1 six speed it seemed like it died off at the end of third gear.
LT1 compaired to the LS1/LS2 powerplant they are a joke in my opnion.
I have hit high 14's with both my old WRX and my Mustang but, they were
both pretty much stock.Since we are compairing cars the Subaru STI
will not only beat a LT1 but,will give a LS1 a run for the money all things
being equal.

you don't own a sti.. you own a 96 z28 and a regular WRX and you were calling a much faster car a joke. no car faster than what you have is a joke, think about it for a second if that car is a joke then what is yours.

sure if you compare the lt-1 to the ls-1 it will feel like it dies off at the end of third but think about it how many cars compare to the pull of a ls-1 up top, you can even take a sti stock and a ls-1 stock and the ls-1 will pull the crap out of it up top.

So now I guess we have a measuring stick for what is a joke, it's anything that does not pull as hard as a ls-1 up top stock or close to stock. So I guess that means unless we have a terminator or a gt-500 we are all jokes.

svttech76 said:
you don't own a sti.. you own a 96 z28 and a regular WRX and you were calling a much faster car a joke. no car faster than what you have is a joke, think about it for a second if that car is a joke then what is yours.

sure if you compare the lt-1 to the ls-1 it will feel like it dies off at the end of third but think about it how many cars compare to the pull of a ls-1 up top, you can even take a sti stock and a ls-1 stock and the ls-1 will pull the crap out of it up top.

So now I guess we have a measuring stick for what is a joke, it's anything that does not pull as hard as a ls-1 up top stock or close to stock. So I guess that means unless we have a terminator or a gt-500 we are all jokes.
Actualy Mike I only own a 96 Ford Mustang GT now. :D
I sold my 04 WRX because the price was right.
A STI mite not have the pull of a LS1 up top but,it all makes up for
itself through 1st,2nd,3rd gear.STI vs. LS1 would be a good
race in the 1/4 mile.

Pennywise2 said:
Actualy Mike I only own a 96 Ford Mustang GT now. :D
I sold my 04 WRX because the price was right.
A STI mite not have the pull of a LS1 up top but,it all makes up for
itself through 1st,2nd,3rd gear.STI vs. LS1 would be a good
race in the 1/4 mile.

I agree with you about the sti and the ls-1 being a good race in the 1/4 but I thought we were talking about top end pull.