how fast are lt1's

svttech76 said:
yeah I have a freind with a 2.73 auto ls-1 at the time he had just a lid/k+n and cat back and I would hang with him until 60 and then he would put me away hard after that.
Really didn't you used to have a 98 Z28 with bolt on's Mike?
If so, what times did you get out of your car?
I agree it is amazing what a few bolt on's will do for a LS1.
I wish that was the same for us 2V guys. :D

• Sponsors (?)

BurningRubber said:
I gotta disagree, a 6 speed LT1 will be very even with a 99+ GT 5 speed. And the autos arent far behind... Unfortunatly for us aswell, they still take better to mods than our 4.6's, but not as much as the LS1's.

Drivers race stock for stock.

:stupid:
My A/T TransAm with LT-1 can easily kept up with my GT befor the header. And thats with sissy 2.73.
My Old A/T Z28 with 3.23 would be nothing to be takin lighty with, especially if your bonestock or near bone stock.

And those are A/T! stock LT-1 with 6 speed driven to perfection will eaily whop 4.6SOHC.

thats if LT-1 don't blow rearend out befor it gets out of 1st gear tho, as mine did:nonono: :(
WTF with those GM with its croppy 7.5? this is 2nd one i killed!

I love my LT1 (not LT-1 which is an earlier and completly different motor) There was a complaint about the opti which is relivant, but it has gotten better. Msd just released a rebuild kit for it. Its a PITA but at least it got a lot cheaper not like you would really have to do it more than once really. I think the biggest selling point is that the sucker is bulletproof. I read that in there stock form they can handle a 150 shot no problem. We drove my buddys LT1 caprice with 350,000 miles on it down to florida and back from minnesota no problems that is original motor no rebuild. Having an iron block has its advantages too when building a motor. If there are any GM Tech readers here they had an article about which motor LT1 or LS1 builds up the best and there was no clear winner both motors have huge capabilities outside of there stock forms. Not as aplicable to the F-bodys but the LT1 is a very easy motor to work on. In my caprice me and a couple of my good buddies can crawl under the hood set up our tent and still have room to move around and work on the motor.

I've raced against many LT1 powered TA's and Camaros over the years and yip, they scoot pretty good, stock vs stock it's a drivers race with 99'-up GT's. I picked up a 94' Z28 a couple of years ago that I found at the insurance auction [hail write-off] and turned it into my 1/4 mile car. With a few mods and some weight reduction it did rather well. I just sold it this spring after making a deal I couldn't refuse, and ended up buying an LS1 in very nice shape. The LT1's in the Camaros and TA's are a b**** to work on but still not as knuckle bashing as the LS1's. The Opti-spark is the biggest cause of poor performance on the earlier LT1 and although they did improve they still caused a lot of grief.

I always heard that the LT1's were kind of inconsistant as far as power output.
I dont know that just what I've heard. One thing I like about LT1 f-bods
nowadays is that you can pick one up for cheap, buy the LT1-LT4 conversion
kit and be putting down some serious numbers. In fact there was a 97 Z28 for
sale down the street from me not too long ago...the price was right (the owner
was going to prison, isnt that a stereotypical f-bod owner :rlaugh: ). I was
thinking hard about selling my GT and picking it up...but I just couldn't bring
myself to go back to a pushrod engine. It just seems so barbaric. Plus I love
how easy it is to work on my 4.6.

I've raced a few in my GT I wouldnt call them a joke. Id like to say I always
walked them...but I didnt. I've got respect for the car/engine.

I dunno, im kind of a Pushrod person... but not when it comes to working on an F-body...:nono: :nonono:

They are more simple than OHC in terms of working on them, internally anyway. But I agree, our 4.6's are layed out awesome under the hood and there is PLENTLY of space to work in, except for LT's.

Hotrod got a bone stock 96 SS LT1 6 speed to run 13.5's. Yeah the optispark can be a pita, but these cars can run with the right mods. However I like the LS1 for some reason :rlaugh:

My parts guy at work(good friends) has a 97 LT1 A4 with just a catback and cold air and runs consistent 13.6's.

In reality now days, 99-04 stock GTs are a joke...93-97 LT1s are a joke...SRT-4s are a joke...anything with under 300HP is a joke. Who cares, im not going to tip toe around everyone.

But thats just a general statement.....considering each cars time period, and price, they arent a joke at all.
I think penny was meaning that they werent something to really fear, like an LS1 car.
You guys jump on people too hard, jeeze.

Guy took a beating and remained nice throughout...I would have been mad as heck with some of the rather rude statements made....

hotmustang331 said:
In reality now days, 99-04 stock GTs are a joke...93-97 LT1s are a joke...SRT-4s are a joke...anything with under 300HP is a joke. Who cares, im not going to tip toe around everyone.

But thats just a general statement.....considering each cars time period, and price, they arent a joke at all.
I think penny was meaning that they werent something to really fear, like an LS1 car.
You guys jump on people too hard, jeeze.

Guy took a beating and remained nice throughout...I would have been mad as heck with some of the rather rude statements made....
Thanks. :nice:
That was my exact point.All I was trying to say is that the
LS1/LS2 powerplant has alot more potential than the LT1.
Mods seem to also be more effective with the LS1/LS2.
I give respect where respect is due.After driving both the
LS1 is quite impressive and a complete blast to drive even stock.
I know what you are saying some people on this forum usually take
every chance and opportunity to slander and be rude to me.I personaly
could kind less though.All that tells me is what kind people they really are.
I try to be kind and respectfull to people here.

Pennywise2 said:
Thanks. :nice:
That was my exact point.All I was trying to say is that the
LS1/LS2 powerplant has alot more potential than the LT1.
Mods seem to also be more effective with the LS1/LS2.
I give respect where respect is due.After driving both the
LS1 is quite impressive and a complete blast to drive even stock.
I know what you are saying some people on this forum usually take
every chance and opportunity to slander and be rude to me.I personaly
could kind less though.All that tells me is what kind people they really are.
I try to be kind and respectfull to people here.

point taken, your original post led me to believe you were just saying "haha, LT1 = crap, and that's all there is to it." After a ride in a stock LS1 Z28 w/ the 3.42 rear, I was completely blown away by the power band of that car... and I really don't think you can use it as a bench mark for other cars, it just seems to be in a league of its own. Well my friend is building up his 94 Z28, doing a H/C/I swap, so I'll see how that pulls once its back together. (It's been apart for over a year, stupid optispark :rolleyes:)