How fast/powerful before back half?

Hi yall, new to the forums here at stangnet.

Looking for some experience. My main question is how much horsepower can be used with the factory rear setup before requiring a back half installation? Is it out of the question to run be available to run 8s 1/4 miles in a 3400lb car (approx 1200hp)?

I currently have a 1969 mustang. I'd like to run a 10pt cage, 4 link, 9 inch, and tubs with good coilovers, but I want to know if I should change my build up to include a back half or even a full chassis. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

if you want to run 8s in the quarter mile, then you best be building a full chassis car. 8s is way too quick for a stock chassis or even a back halfed car. the stock chassis, depending on year, is generally good to about the high 11s, and a back halfed car is good to about mid to high 10s. quicker than that and you need a full chassis car.

now since you want to run a ten point cage, you may as well build a full chassis to go along with it. the amount of work involved isnt that much more really.

Reactions: 1 user
if you want to run 8s in the quarter mile, then you best be building a full chassis car. 8s is way too quick for a stock chassis or even a back halfed car. the stock chassis, depending on year, is generally good to about the high 11s, and a back halfed car is good to about mid to high 10s. quicker than that and you need a full chassis car.

now since you want to run a ten point cage, you may as well build a full chassis to go along with it. the amount of work involved isnt that much more really.

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for.

Of the full chassis options, what would you recommend as far as a fairly regular street driven car that would see hard strip and drag use. I see roadster shop and competitors offer the full 2x4 frame but that would also require a cage. S&W offers the full tube chassis which is what I was leaning toward. Ultimately I'm not sure what would save me time, money, and weight.

Before it sounds like I'm talking purely hypothetically: the whole goal behind this is to build a big bore, TT sbf on 93 pump gas, possibly (definitely) with meth to keep timing reasonable and det down at 1200hp boost levels but still able to turn it down for the morning commute. If a dodge demon with a boating license can break into the 9s, I feel that a pro touring 69 should have the capability to run high 8s. Hence the 4-link, greatest adjust-ability in anti-squat/dive whether hitting the track, strip, or street.

If this goal is a little extreme or overzealous, let me know, I'm always willing to learn.

Last edited: