How good of a 64-66 Mustang can you get for $20k?

DudeStang

Nuts fell off while driving
5 Year Member
Apr 30, 2017
I have a close friend who is looking for an classic Mustang (64-66, prefers the coupe over the fastback). It doesn't need to be perfect but needs to run - something that could be driven for a short commute to work an occasional short city drives. Manual is preferred, doesn't really matter if it is fast/powerful, but needs to be somewhat reliable. Budget is $20k (could maybe justify $22-23k for the right car). How good of quality 64-66 Mustang could one expect to buy for $20k?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on a reputable classics dealer in the mid-Atlantic region, preferably somewhere one could drive from DC area to actually see the car in person and drive it before purchasing).

I own two Mustangs (one Fox and one S197) and am not super familiar with the classics so any advice on what to look out for such as where to keep an eye out for rusting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

There are very few 64-66 coupes that are worth more than 20k. For 20k you should be able to get a very good example....fastbacks and convertibles are something else...but its a very special coupe that sells for more than 20k, maybe an A-code would sell for more than 20k(and of course a K-code) but a standard C-code or T-code is going to be less unless its very low mileage.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to get a really nice coupe for that budget. I would check FB market place, and just a basic online search for your area to start with. As far as what to look for. Check the cowl closely. It's very hard to keep that area clean. Over time dirt and leaves and other stuff gets down in there and causes rust issue. Not impossible to fix, but not easy and it can be expensive. Besides that id say the normal areas. Get under the car and check the floor pans, rocker panels, wheel wells, trunk. Oh in the trunk at the very back of the car there is an area that you can look/feel down into that is pron to rusting out. One pocket on the left and one on the right.

These cars were never meant to last this long, so they have issues. Check the classic car dealers, but those cars are usually your nicer examples and they tend to want a fortune for them.

Good Luck!

My friend ended up buying a 1966 I believe...and took it to a shop that in retrospect he shouldn't have. The shop gave him a list of $16k worth of stuff that allegedly needs to be fixed. It seemed pretty bogus but he still wants to take it to a different shop to get another opinion on whether any of the stuff actually needs to be fixed/replaced/upgraded. Any members on here have recommendations on reputable Mustangs/classic car shops in the mid-Atlantic? My friend is in the DC area but would likely be open to shops a little further out, with strong referrals - somewhat close to the DMV area. Thanks.

I'm telling him to get an account on here himself so hopefully he'll be joining soon.

Last edited:
My friend ended up buying a 1966 I believe...and took it to a shop that in retrospect he shouldn't have. The shop gave him a list of $16k worth of stuff that allegedly needs to be fixed. It seemed pretty bogus but he still wants to take it to a different shop to get another opinion on whether any of the stuff actually needs to be fixed/replaced/upgraded. Any members on here have recommendations on reputable Mustangs/classic car shops in the mid-Atlantic? My friend is in the DC area but would likely be open to shops a little further out, with strong referrals - somewhat close to the DMV area. Thanks.

I'm telling him to get an account on here himself so hopefully he'll be joining soon.
I'm the friend! Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Can't give any shop reccomendations, but what are they saying needs to be replaced? Some things like the cowl as an example rot out on these cars fairly easily and its a lot of work to replace one:

20190705_162716_zpscfpxhuct.jpg

A common cowl condition(mine before I replaced it)

20190706_120440_zpsmdvs6xf8.jpg

20190706_143832_zpsdl7wqnqp.jpg

20190724_172801_zpsqmztq8hd.jpg

Took me about 25 hours to replace it(maybe $300 in parts and supplies, would be more if I didnt keep the original upper cowl)...a shop will charge $3000-$4000 to do this(maybe more) but will likely be faster for them. its a common problem on vintage mustangs and a sure sign is that the floor pans need to be replaced...or have been replaced in the past...the cowl will rot and drip water onto the floor boards, rotting them as well.

I am not saying you have a rotted cowl, just saying that when it comes to shops, the bill can add up quickly if you cant do the work yourself or know someone who can....this type of repair is fairly common.

When your friend finally find’s one, He needs to go over it very well I bought my 65 Mustang for 5K and ended up putting another 25K in parts and labor and still have a few minor issues

Attachments

• 8B5ED482-FCF0-40F7-B627-7CAE39BEED05.jpeg
    8B5ED482-FCF0-40F7-B627-7CAE39BEED05.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 69
  • B8D6C7AF-170A-49CD-A6BC-9CE6961C42C4.jpeg
    B8D6C7AF-170A-49CD-A6BC-9CE6961C42C4.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 78
  • A048F589-A7F9-46C3-9CB0-CE9B70DA4F04.jpeg
    A048F589-A7F9-46C3-9CB0-CE9B70DA4F04.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 63