How Hard To Install Off Road H-Pipe???

DFG 5OH

Aug 28, 2004
Louisville, KY
I'm getting my new mufflers welded in tomrrow morning, and i'm going to install the off road h pipe with my dad saturday morning. I've got the stock exhaust right now. Any tips or pointers, i'm going to spray with penatrating oil, jack the front of the car up, probably take an impact wrench to the header to h pipe bolts, drop it, and hopefully i wont have any problems installing the new one.

• Sponsors (?)

techniacally it is very easy but unless you have a lift i would just have the muffler shop do it. since they are already doing the mufflers it probably wont cost that much extra. I had mine put in for like $40. and just so you know the stock h-pipe is pretty heavy (about three times as heavy as the aftermarket one) so don't drop it on yourself if you do the job yourself. good luck with your new sounds

Make sure you have a good jack, not that POS $19.99 2-ton one like mine (I use my friends). Make sure you have large socket extentions. You may have to loosen and re-tighten the bolts untill you get it right. Don't forget to get some beer.

It's a pain in the ass.

Good luck getting to the header to midpipe bolts with an impact wrench- there is no clearance.

I had to cut mine off with a dremel, then drill through the bolts in the header flange. Major pain in the ass.

Its not that hard. I can do mine in the drive way in about an hour with an extra set of hands. Start with the front (header side) and make sure its aligned properly and tight. The biggest PITA is getting the rubber hangers on the pipe and the egr pipe connected. After installed drive it around then retighten all the bolts again.

Dude, it's real simple. I have an o/r h and my friend and I took about 45 minutes to do it between beer breaks. I doubt the exhaust shop will do it for you like someone suggested because it doens't have cats. Just unbolt the headers, the mufflers and finagle your egr off and you're money. If you bust the bolts you can always roll out to home depot or something and get similiar bolts to put back up there... not a big deal. Good luck, and enjoy the sound... OH yah, and when you drop the stocker keep in mind that it's a little heavier than it looks, don't want a bloody nose so make sure you've got a good grip on it...

matthiasj said:
i'm gonna try to do it tomrrow evening
do yourself a favor and pick up this stuff called PB Blaster. It is by far the best thing for getting rusted bolts broken free. Dont even waste your time with WD-40. You'll probably need it getting thoes bolts and nuts off.

1105 said:
do yourself a favor and pick up this stuff called PB Blaster. It is by far the best thing for getting rusted bolts broken free. Dont even waste your time with WD-40. You'll probably need it getting thoes bolts and nuts off.

i second the pb blaster, and like i said earlier spray it a day or two in advance to give time to eat up the rust.

I have had the H-pipe on my last 2 Mustangs, they are simple to install, have great power gains, and sound great...one problem though, once you put it on most muffler shops won't even touch your car. One shop here in my town said they would not do my brakes for me because they are a Brake AND Exhaust shop, and if they got my car on the lift and saw an off road pipe they would report me to the EPA and call the local police department to inpound my car.