How hard would it be to change from automatic to manual?

dannydmc

May 17, 2010
I have a 88 mustang gt the transmission has gone out on it and a rebuild is pretty expensive. So I was thinking if i was going to spend the money to get it rebuilt I could just get a new one specifically a t56 would be what I would put in their if I can. How hard would that be, and what are some prices I'm looking at because I've had a few prices on rebuilds and they are around $2000 and a little over. Anything wold help thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

do it and don't look back

you can do a swap for a little or a lot depending on how 'new' you want the parts and how much labor you want to do yourself.

DD performance has a T56 swap kit with all new parts. I put a T5Z in mine with mostly new parts, except for a used crossmember (with new bushings), pedal assembly, and wiring harness.

I wish I did it before I put $2500 in my AOD. I had to buy a 74 bronco so I would have a home for my AOD:lol::lol::lol:

Make sure you have the hp to push a t -56. The gear ratios aren't ideal for a stockfish 5.0 and gaining the extra .80 overdrive isn't worth it. A tko or even a t5 might be a better swap.

It was fairly easy. Hardest part of my swap was installing the pedals. I did it for about 800 rebuilding the t5 myself and buying a new clutch and al driveshaft.

I have a 88 mustang gt the transmission has gone out on it and a rebuild is pretty expensive. So I was thinking if i was going to spend the money to get it rebuilt I could just get a new one specifically a t56 would be what I would put in their if I can. How hard would that be, and what are some prices I'm looking at because I've had a few prices on rebuilds and they are around $2000 and a little over. Anything wold help thanks.

When the OD went out on our 87GT (with 75k miles) we were quoted an insane number for a rebuild by the dealer. Local mechanic got a low mileage complete AOD from his local used source and it worked fine!! $800 installed/serviced. These units are normally guaranteed to work (free exchange) but you have to eat the labor to put them in and take them out!!

If you'd rather have a stick then go for it as not that big a deal using used components from a wrecked stick car.

I bought a donar car for $600, swaped over all the parts and spent another $400-500 in new parts. So far I've made a couple hondred bucks selling parts off the donar that I don't need. I still have the 5.0 left to sell and the body. So I plan on getting my original $600 back, maybe a little more. Meaning I did my swap for around $400-500.

The job itself is not hard or complicated at all and no special tools are needed. It's just time consuming.