How Important is draining the oil onlevel surface in fox body?

DanB93

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Hello, I know there are two ports on the 5.0's. I have ramps but don't know if draining it at an angle would be good enough. I would prefer to do that for convenience but won't if its really bad. I also have a friend that has a fluid extractor maybe I could do a combo with that. How about, drain at an angle, close oil ports, then use the extractor through the dipstick for extra removal? What do you guys do? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That sounds like a lot of work to just drain your oil. I just reach under and undo the plugs without raising the car up. But my Fox isn't lowered.

Personally I say drain it on a level surface, even on a level surface you dont get ALL of the oil out; I found a few ounces of oil still in the pan when I pulled my engine. If I was a really meticulous person I'd jack the car up from the back so I can get that extra bit of oil out from the front plug.

Extractor method may get messy. I wouldn't use ramps because im sure the oil will puddle a little in the back. I use a jack because my car is too low to get under. I dont bring it up too high, I don't even put it on jack stands, just enough to get under. I probably shouldn't recommend that though because its not safe to work under a car without jack stands. Best thing to do would be to jack up the front, put it on jack stands, jack up the back and put it on jack stands. Then you got it level, and easy to work under. Thats too much work for me for just an oil change but it sounds like less work than extracting it from the dipstick.

Its not going to "hurt" anything by putting the front on ramps, you probably just wont get all the oil out.

It's not important to be level, since the majority of oil is going to come out of the rear plug anyway. You might get another 1/4 to 1/2 quart out of the front either way. The only time I've ever changed the oil with the car level, it was because I was under there for something else already that required the rear to be lifted, too.

you'll never get it all out just change it more often or run a quart though it after you drain it for a little flush action. If it leaks like my first one did "85 stang" you just keep adding new oil its always clean lol.

I have always just pulled my GT up on ramps. I know you don't get every last drop of oil out this way, but if you change your oil at regular 3K intervals I don't see this as a major problem. It has worked fine on my GT for the almost 10 years I have had it.

I don't think there is a huge difference for draining the oil You may get half a quart of old oil but there are a lot of cavities in the motor itself that will hold the oil anyways. The fact that the new oil will mix with the old and replenish the additives is piece of mind for me.
Kevin

Since my car is slammed I put up jack stands in the front not high, just enough for me to get under. I then raise the back to have it higher than the front.

ALWAYS USE JACK STANGS!!! Dont be stupid, its not worth your life. I had a friend pass away cuz he was to lazy to put some on.

Since my car is slammed I put up jack stands in the front not high, just enough for me to get under. I then raise the back to have it higher than the front.

ALWAYS USE JACK STANGS!!! Dont be stupid, its not worth your life. I had a friend pass away cuz he was to lazy to put some on.

I know this is OT but there is a new show on the Speed Channel about KIT Cars, they had the car on 4 Jack Stands and it fell off. The Dumbass Anouncer says "Never" work on a car supported by Jackstands, I was in complete disbelief when he said that!!!

Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be ok to just use ramps. I have a VW Passat and everything on that seems so particular. I have started to check everything. Good bless American cars....while they last.

I don't see jackstands being bad UNLESS only one axle is up on jackstands and the other 2 wheels are not chocked, in park/gear, parking brake on, or somehow locked...for example I had a grand marquis jacked up with stands under the rear axle tubes and the front wheels weren't chucked and the car was bumped a little and it was about to fall forward off the stands....wouldn't have been good...

As far as oil, the jack up take out plugs, drop down and let oil drain and jack back up method seems like the best....I jack it up high enough to get under there and throw some stands under there. If I'm too lazy to get out the jack I just do it without jacking it up....and I pour a good 1/2 quart to help flush out the old oil in the pan.

I think i found a way to satify my purist and lazy sides all at the same time. My driveway has a sight up hill incline going out from the garage, so I'll park the rear wheels going up the incline on ramps and should be able to get fairly level with out all the fuss. I will be using wheel choke as well.