How Livable Is Mustang? Winter? Please Help :(

Tianlong93

Jun 1, 2015
Hi guys,

So I have been loving the new mustang GT for a very long time, and always wanted to get one; however, as I live in Pennyslvania, the winter or I should say the snow really holds me back from owning one. So I would like to hear from you guys. the mustang will be my only car (no SUV or truck for winter); it's ok to not drive if the snow gets really bad; I personally think the ground clearance is not a sports car problem, more of an all-none-SUV&TRUCK problem; I will invest in a set of good winter tires; I live in philly (center city), so we actually don't get crazy amount of snow as the city will clean it up right away will the road is covered (will protect the car from salt); will put some sand bags in the truck for winter as it is a rear wheel drive;

So, what do you guys think...how livable is the mustang? Specifically on the east coast? In the city?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know anything about Pennsylvania.

I do know about Michigan, Indiana, Chicago and Detroit.

It sucks balls.

I drove RWD cars for 10 years in the winter (RX7, 350Z, 240Sx and Mustang GT).

Yes. Winter tires are a must.

Yes. You will survive and even have fun some days.

However it sucks. Salt and grim take a toll on your precious cars paint and body. Ground clearance is always and issue and it seems like every day you have a "oh :poo:" moment.

I bought a 4Runner 5 years ago for $4k and it changed my life forever. I quickly sold it, sold my 350Z and bought a Tacoma.

Never again will I subject myself to the bull:poo: of winter, ice storms and unplowed roads and driveways again.

I still own the sports cars and now they only come out when it's nice.

If you get snow, find away to own a 4x4.

Reactions: 1 user
You need a winter beater. Don't buy the car till you get one.

Eastern PA, you can probably get away with it. Western... There will be days where you are either A) stuck as chit or B) not driving at all.

In a Western PA Mustang, you are at the mercy of the snow plows and your own ability to clear your driveway.

I live in North Jersey, I grew up in long Island when their was snow on the ground from Nov to March back in the 70's.

I learned to drive in a 1970 mustang, owned a 72 challenger and drove all year. now in Jersey, I have had a 2001 Mustang a 2008 BMW 128 and now the new 2015. I drove this winter. Height is not an issue. My car came with All Season tires, not the best. but I did not miss a day of work, except for the days when the state issued a snow emergency.

Also, if I know a big storm is coming, I can always rent a car for $25/day

I plan on buying a good summer tire and use the All season in the winter. The key is keep your distance, don't take turns on snow fast. other than that you will be fine. Some people put bags of salt or sand in the back. I didn't find the need too.

I did do undercarriage car wash about every 2 to 3 weeks as needed to get the salt off

The most important thing I can say is have a shovel. As long as you have a shovel you will never be stuck

I'm in South Jersey 20 minutes outside of Philly... I've driven Mustangs in the winter for the last 13 or so years and never missed a beat. Other than the fact that I don't like to have to clean the car the winter isn't a deal breaker for me. The snow/wet driving mode works awesome in the 2015. Washington DC back to South Jersey was a 3 hour drive in the snow and ice back in February and I had zero issues.
IMG_20150222_122256.jpg

IMG_20150114_080402264_HDR.jpg

I drive mustangs here in Maryland all year round. Through our horrible blizzards and all. Car drove very well . I'd suggest a stick shift though. In snow you need to be able to pedal the gas and feather the clutch. The stick is great for summer weather too.lol

I don't know anything about Pennsylvania.

I do know about Michigan, Indiana, Chicago and Detroit.

It sucks balls.

I drove RWD cars for 10 years in the winter (RX7, 350Z, 240Sx and Mustang GT).

Yes. Winter tires are a must.

Yes. You will survive and even have fun some days.

However it sucks. Salt and grim take a toll on your precious cars paint and body. Ground clearance is always and issue and it seems like every day you have a "oh ****" moment.

I bought a 4Runner 5 years ago for $4k and it changed my life forever. I quickly sold it, sold my 350Z and bought a Tacoma.

Never again will I subject myself to the bull**** of winter, ice storms and unplowed roads and driveways again.

I still own the sports cars and now they only come out when it's nice.

If you get snow, find away to own a 4x4.

Thanks for your reply bro. As much as I would like to have a winter beater, living in the city means limited parking space and I live in an apartment where I only get 1 parking spot. So I guess no winter beater for me. I'm sure that any SUV or Truck will out perform any other kind of vehicle on the snow. But my current situation won't allowed me to do that. With your comment, I guess is "ok" to drive just not as good as a 4x4.

You need a winter beater. Don't buy the car till you get one.

Eastern PA, you can probably get away with it. Western... There will be days where you are either A) stuck as chit or B) not driving at all.

In a Western PA Mustang, you are at the mercy of the snow plows and your own ability to clear your driveway.

Thanks for your reply, I live in philly, so I guess that's east PA...and with your comment..I guess that's a NO unless I have a winter beater? Gotcha

Thank you so much for all of you guys' replies. As my friends and family are trying to convince to get a Subaru WRX, you guys are the only support for me on getting my mustang. Thank you so much for all of your time and help!

I live in North Jersey, I grew up in long Island when their was snow on the ground from Nov to March back in the 70's.

I learned to drive in a 1970 mustang, owned a 72 challenger and drove all year. now in Jersey, I have had a 2001 Mustang a 2008 BMW 128 and now the new 2015. I drove this winter. Height is not an issue. My car came with All Season tires, not the best. but I did not miss a day of work, except for the days when the state issued a snow emergency.

Also, if I know a big storm is coming, I can always rent a car for $25/day

I plan on buying a good summer tire and use the All season in the winter. The key is keep your distance, don't take turns on snow fast. other than that you will be fine. Some people put bags of salt or sand in the back. I didn't find the need too.

I did do undercarriage car wash about every 2 to 3 weeks as needed to get the salt off

The most important thing I can say is have a shovel. As long as you have a shovel you will never be stuck
Thank you so much for your reply, if I decided to get a mustang, we should hang out!! My only concern is that I have very little winter/snow driving experience I can't say I'm a not careful driver, but I dunno if there are any other skills that is required or needed to drive on the snow. Is my only experience happens to be driving a Jetta on light snow in the last winter. May I ask to what engine do you have for your 2015 mustang? As for the car wash, do you have any recommended products that I should use for the salt? Maybe a clean bra on the car?

My last question is, when you come to philly or in the city, how do you feel about the size of the mustang? Especially on getting a parking spot on the street? Larger than average? Visibility?

Last edited:
I'm in South Jersey 20 minutes outside of Philly... I've driven Mustangs in the winter for the last 13 or so years and never missed a beat. Other than the fact that I don't like to have to clean the car the winter isn't a deal breaker for me. The snow/wet driving mode works awesome in the 2015. Washington DC back to South Jersey was a 3 hour drive in the snow and ice back in February and I had zero issues.
IMG_20150222_122256.jpg

IMG_20150114_080402264_HDR.jpg
Damn looking at your mustang just makes me wanna get mine soon! I should have the money right after this summer and is really just comes down to getting a mustang and worry about the winter or I should just chicken out the get a Subaru WRX as family and friends suggested. I'm really not a big fan or Japanese turbo fan, but I guess the awd does come in handy. As a technician, what's your opinion on this? I have very limited winter driving experience, I have only drove a Jetta in the winter before and it wasn't too bad. But never had experience on RWD in the winter. And if possible, if I ever decided to get a mustang, all the mustang fans in the area should come hang out sometimes and exchange tips on driving on the snow...desperately need someone who has experiences to share some tips. So far, I think I know all the basic tools that I need, but technics thooooo

I drive mustangs here in Maryland all year round. Through our horrible blizzards and all. Car drove very well . I'd suggest a stick shift though. In snow you need to be able to pedal the gas and feather the clutch. The stick is great for summer weather too.lol
As much as I love to have a stick, the city traffic and frequent travel to NYC prevents me from getting one, so I guess I will have to get an automatic this time :(

Damn looking at your mustang just makes me wanna get mine soon! I should have the money right after this summer and is really just comes down to getting a mustang and worry about the winter or I should just chicken out the get a Subaru WRX as family and friends suggested. I'm really not a big fan or Japanese turbo fan, but I guess the awd does come in handy. As a technician, what's your opinion on this? I have very limited winter driving experience, I have only drove a Jetta in the winter before and it wasn't too bad. But never had experience on RWD in the winter. And if possible, if I ever decided to get a mustang, all the mustang fans in the area should come hang out sometimes and exchange tips on driving on the snow...desperately need someone who has experiences to share some tips. So far, I think I know all the basic tools that I need, but technics thooooo
I had taken a trip Saturday night down to South St to grab some pizza from Lorenzo's:nice:. The mustang is easy to parallel park and drive through the city. For comparison, my younger brother has a 2014 WRX and really likes his car as well. It is a bit smaller physically and has more leg room in the back seat. The mustang in my opinion is far more comfortable to drive and handles a lot better, both cars get comparable fuel economy. Either car is a good option, Mustang wins in my opinion obviously:D As for the snow, I wouldn't let this determine the choice you make on a car... It snows a few days a year and only a day here and there will give you a hard time. For that matter, if it's snowing that bad they typically issue a state of emergency of which you are not permitted to drive anyway.

What part of the city do you live in? I know some back roads and one ways take a few extra days to clear in the city, is this your concern? Do you work in the city or outside of the city? If the roads are impassible is public transportation an option for a day here and there?

Thank you so much for your reply, if I decided to get a mustang, we should hang out!! My only concern is that I have very little winter/snow driving experience I can't say I'm a not careful driver, but I dunno if there are any other skills that is required or needed to drive on the snow. Is my only experience happens to be driving a Jetta on light snow in the last winter. May I ask to what engine do you have for your 2015 mustang? As for the car wash, do you have any recommended products that I should use for the salt? Maybe a clean bra on the car?

My last question is, when you come to philly or in the city, how do you feel about the size of the mustang? Especially on getting a parking spot on the street? Larger than average? Visibility?

I have the GT with a Cat Back exhaust and SCT Tune. The only other advice about winter driving is, easy on the gas, you don't want to spin your wheels, also when you are stuck - rock the car reverse/ forward nice and easy till you get moving. When on the highway don't change lanes fast, nice and easy. I have no problem parking. the car has good visibility except for the I beam between the back and front seat. the only other thing I have to say is experience is the real teacher...

Thanks for your reply, I live in philly, so I guess that's east PA...and with your comment..I guess that's a NO unless I have a winter beater? Gotcha
I drove my 98 v6 non posi rear for through 3 winters in NJ. I work in Philly and had to take my gf's car 1 time to work. I plan on getting a beater come Autumn this year because I have the space and to keep the stang out of the elements. I think you'd be fine. Get the car now so you can get comfortable with it. I would suggest getting the premium since it has the wet/snow mode.

I had taken a trip Saturday night down to South St to grab some pizza from Lorenzo's:nice:. The mustang is easy to parallel park and drive through the city. For comparison, my younger brother has a 2014 WRX and really likes his car as well. It is a bit smaller physically and has more leg room in the back seat. The mustang in my opinion is far more comfortable to drive and handles a lot better, both cars get comparable fuel economy. Either car is a good option, Mustang wins in my opinion obviously:D As for the snow, I wouldn't let this determine the choice you make on a car... It snows a few days a year and only a day here and there will give you a hard time. For that matter, if it's snowing that bad they typically issue a state of emergency of which you are not permitted to drive anyway.

What part of the city do you live in? I know some back roads and one ways take a few extra days to clear in the city, is this your concern? Do you work in the city or outside of the city? If the roads are impassible is public transportation an option for a day here and there?

Thanks for the info, I go to school at Penn but I live in center city. And I drive about 5-10 mins to classes almost everyday. And sometimes go up to NYC or Boston for meetings. So my concern is really how capable is the mustang. If I still live in Cali, I know for sure that mustang will be perfect. But here on the east coast, things like "parking on the street"; "winter road trips to NYC or Boston"; occasionally trips to suburbs concerns me. Let's just say that I don't have as much confidence as I will have in a SUV/Truck or AWD...while I know a RWD won't be as good as them for sure, I just wanted to know how capable it is. With all the correct technics, equipments and cautions, how capable will it be compare to Winter beaters. Is it like 70%(mustang) vs. 100%(winter beater) or like 45% vs. 100%. I hope I'm making sense.

As for the terrible days, yes, I can take public transit and stuff. And take Amtrak to NYC or Boston.

Last question, any fun mountain roads near us??

Last edited:
I have the GT with a Cat Back exhaust and SCT Tune. The only other advice about winter driving is, easy on the gas, you don't want to spin your wheels, also when you are stuck - rock the car reverse/ forward nice and easy till you get moving. When on the highway don't change lanes fast, nice and easy. I have no problem parking. the car has good visibility except for the I beam between the back and front seat. the only other thing I have to say is experience is the real teacher...

*taking down notes*

I'm actually thinking about finding an empty parking lot and feel it when there is snow, so I know how much throttle will make the tires start spinning and stuff. But really appreciate for those tips tho. Will do for sure.

I beam between back and from seats...what exactly are you referring to..?

I drove my 98 v6 non posi rear for through 3 winters in NJ. I work in Philly and had to take my gf's car 1 time to work. I plan on getting a beater come Autumn this year because I have the space and to keep the stang out of the elements. I think you'd be fine. Get the car now so you can get comfortable with it. I would suggest getting the premium since it has the wet/snow mode.

I guess maybe I should find a girlfriend with a winter beater huh hahaha. jk.

Thanks for the encourgment. And yes, once I decided to get it, which very likely, I will definitely shoot for an ecoboost premium or GT premium...which I m still deciding, but more towards the GT thooooo

*taking down notes*

I'm actually thinking about finding an empty parking lot and feel it when there is snow, so I know how much throttle will make the tires start spinning and stuff. But really appreciate for those tips tho. Will do for sure.

I beam between back and from seats...what exactly are you referring to..?

When you look to the right when making a turn the beam between the back side window and front side window is about 4" wide.

Yoo also mentioned about good drives. not being from PA but knowing its about 70% open land, you should have no problem finding or exploring places to use your car to its ability. as far as scenic, I can highly recommend the Hawks nest in north eastern PA on the NY border. Its so famous they shoot car commercials there. just go early.....