How long does a new engine run a little warmer?

Harndog

May 28, 2007
Just took my 67 out for her first highway run and she got a little warm about 225 or so the electric fan was working and when I slowed down to come into work ( about 2 miles of 1000 to 1500 rpm driving) she cooled back down to 190. I know a new motor can run a little warmer just wondered how long.

• Sponsors (?)

I also hate 210

I`ve been thinking mine is running hot, but if 210 to 225 is normal maybe its fine....

I`ve had motors run around 200 steady, and up to 210 under a load, but not normally that ever.

FYI, my motor has maybe 200 miles on it, and it still gets hot, though I thought it was another problem making it do it.

Thanks this one only has break in time and maybe 20 miles before todays 15 mile jaunt to work down the freeway in 90+ degree temps. I was just wondering how long it might jump up to that temp. D says I have a ways to go lol :nice: thanks D

Same here, mine ran 160 the day I fired it off and runs 160 today.

Actually it ran 160 till I put that high stall converter and the biggest trans cooler I could find. I now runs about 170-175 in 95 degree heat here.

160 is too cold. You're burning more fuel and you're causing more engine wear at that temp. Heat is your friend!!!

I'd prefer a motor to run closer to 180 too, but 190-230 won't hurt anything. The roller 5.0 in my 89 Ranger runs in that range in the summer, ditto for the 331 in the Comet. I always seem to have the same problem.........too much motor and not enough radiator.:rlaugh:
My "running hot" problems are oppsite of what they used to be.Now, when driving it will climb to about 205-215 and then at idle or a stop it will cool down.I have a 28" raditor,Taurus fan and Meizere electric pump and the t-stat is opened up permanently.

Only thing that is still not changed is the temp sensor.

shop guys put a 160* t-stat for my 289 stroked 347. car has a FLUIDYNE 3-row alum radiator + Flex-a-Lite all steel 6-blade fan.

is this good for the South Florida heat?
will it wear the engine out faster and waste more fuel as mentioned by Fast63?

shop guys put a 160* t-stat for my 289 stroked 347. car has a FLUIDYNE 3-row alum radiator + Flex-a-Lite all steel 6-blade fan.

is this good for the South Florida heat?
will it wear the engine out faster and waste more fuel as mentioned by Fast63?

It depends on the actual running temps. Just because it's got a 160* T-stat, doesn't guarantee it'll stay at 160* at operating temps. My Ranger's got a 160* in it but it runs at 190-220 most times. With a 180* it ran 20* hotter. You want it to run at least 180* in operation to avoid block wear. The block iron is tempered at that temperature.