How long have you had your tremmic?

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Well, I have decided that instead of buying a newer car I am going to keep my stang and start work on it. The t-5 I have now is shot. i was going to replace it with another or a turbo coupe tranny but since have decided that I am going to spend the money well and go with a tremmic tranny. D&D wants 1199 for thier 3550 and 1349 for thier tko. Brotehrs wants 1399 for the 3550 and 1549 for the tko. i will probably go with the tko since it is the better deal from D&D. I will also get a good clutch and other stuff I need. What I want to know is how do you guys/gals like your trannys and how long have u had them without needing a rebuild? thanx alot. I am tried of going through 4 t-5's the past 4 years

• Sponsors (?)

Four years, one rebuild due to the fact I had a worn yoke that allowed the oil to leak out. Even with only 1 quart of oil, there wasn't much wear and no real damage. If you keep them filled with the GM Syncromesh that it calls for, they are almost indestructible in a street stang.

Allow 500 easy miles for a break in and it will shift smooth and easy. I have no complaints in that area.

my 3550 WAS 7yrs old, may it RIP i broke third gear about a month back. I took it to Bob Hanlon, he says im better off buying a new one as the case is craking(tremecs are bad for this) the input shaft is starting to twist and by time he finished with it id have near as much in this one as new one, I was very happy with trans, It broke due to my bone head driving and held well to my abuse over the years. Im just gonna go with a 3550 again. I would go with a TKO but my Spec stage3 has hardly any miles on it and i feel the 3550 is plenty strong enough as i dont run on slicks. I say go for the TKO youll be pretty happy.

Scott

Scott

I will throw up another post to decide whether I want the 3550 or the tko...Im thinking tko since its only 250 more, but I also want to throw in a set of long tubes as well when I have it all apart I think.

93steeda said:
I just installed my tko, put a ram clutch in and topped it off with a pro-50 shifter. LOVE IT! There is no way I would go back to a t-5. I broke two of them in a year. Definately get the pro-50 shifter with it.

yup....I will get a pro 5.0 shifter for it as I have one for the t-5 now. I am also going ot get a SPEC stage 3 clutch...do you need a speical driveshaft for the tko?

BlownStangGT said:
do you need a speical driveshaft for the tko?

You do not need a special driveshaft for a TKO. It does require a different yoke due to output shaft being 31 spline, but a new yoke will come with your new TKO anyways.

I have run my TKO for 2 years now and love it, very smooth, can't miss a shift, zero problems with it. I am going to put a TKO in my cobra also when the T45 goes out.

I've had mine for about 5k behind a 303rwhp 302. Now I'm asking it to live behind my 600/600 hp/tq stroker :bang: I'm thinking that I'll be calling x2c motorsports for a tranny from them before the summers out. FWIW, like the 3550 that I have now :nice:

I just got a TKO tranny from Central Florida Motorsports for 1299 .. it was a monthly deal/january and it's over but maybe if you call them and make up some BS about their website didnt work for you they might hook you up especially if you buy a few more things because theyre not making anything on that price. I also have a spec stage 3 clutch and spec/star aluminum flywheel on the way. I got a steeda tri-ax shifter to put on it, based on what i read comparing the steeda vs the pro5.0 i thought the steeda would fit me better. haven't gotten it installed yet but should have in runnin in a week or so and i'll definitely be testing it out. oh and tremec is putting out 3 new versions of the tko with different gear sets and that handle more tq. they have one thats got a higher/longer 2.87 first gear for less wheel spin plus a lower .82 fifth gear that a lot of the racers like because it doesn't drop down so much if you redline 4th, i almsot wish i'd've waited a few weeks but i bet these new ones are gonna be way more $$$.
http://www.tremectransmissions.com/English/news/20news.asp

RaSMG said:
I just got a TKO tranny from Central Florida Motorsports for 1299 .. it was a monthly deal/january and it's over but maybe if you call them and make up some BS about their website didnt work for you they might hook you up especially if you buy a few more things because theyre not making anything on that price. I also have a spec stage 3 clutch and spec/star aluminum flywheel on the way. I got a steeda tri-ax shifter to put on it, based on what i read comparing the steeda vs the pro5.0 i thought the steeda would fit me better. haven't gotten it installed yet but should have in runnin in a week or so and i'll definitely be testing it out. oh and tremec is putting out 3 new versions of the tko with different gear sets and that handle more tq. they have one thats got a higher/longer 2.87 first gear for less wheel spin plus a lower .82 fifth gear that a lot of the racers like because it doesn't drop down so much if you redline 4th, i almsot wish i'd've waited a few weeks but i bet these new ones are gonna be way more $$$.
http://www.tremectransmissions.com/English/news/20news.asp

thanx for the info, yeah I bet they will be more, ill probbaly just go with the tko for 1349 from d&d in May, unless i find a deal somewhere else. I also want a lower 5th gear for high way cruising with 3.73s onthe highway. I dont have to worry about going into 5th in the 1/4