How long to install shorties and h pipe?

I just ordered BBK shorty headers and a BBK o/r H pipe from Summit for the '94 Cobra. I'm wondering how long I should expect to spend installing them. Since I got the off-road midpipe, I have to do it myself (probably would have anyways to save $$), but I have plenty of help, although this is the first Stang we've worked on. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as well as a prediction of how long I'll be out of commission. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The hardest part is going to be the egr bung bolt and bending the tube to go back onto the intake. Everything else should go smoothly. Spray down all of your nuts and bolts with some lubricant like wd-40 so they won't be that hard to break loose if this is the first time you took it all loose. :nice:

1.5 hours? That seems a little short, especially since some of those header bolts are hard to get at and you might need to pull other stuff to get at it.

I would say plan on spending all day. Then you might likely be pleasantly surprised when you get done sooner. And I also like the idea of doing projects on Saturday, so you have some over run time on Sunday if you need it.

BTW, shoot the exhaust hangers with PB Blaster, and the hangers will come right out.

Good luck.

94TURBO5 O said:
The hardest part is going to be the egr bung bolt and bending the tube to go back onto the intake. Everything else should go smoothly. Spray down all of your nuts and bolts with some lubricant like wd-40 so they won't be that hard to break loose if this is the first time you took it all loose. :nice:
i don't even mess around with that, just undo the egr valve from the intake with the tube attached and yank the header with everything still on it since there is soooooo much room on the pass side. then take the tube off the header in a vice or somethin. do you have a vert? getting the drivers side header around the x-brace is somewhat tricky, but drop the drivers side out the bottom and the pass out the top. all i'm sayin is that i just swapped over header/midpipe combos thursday night and had both cars running and leak free in 2 hours, and that was even stopping to put a battery in a different car.

The only tough part is gonna be the bolts. Mine were a HUGE pain to get off. Aside from the stock bolts its cake. I could prolly put my long tubes and X pipe on it now in 30 minutes. I would have an impact and definitely a torch on hand when you do it.