How loud is your PS pump?

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
My power steering pump is extremely loud. I want to get a new one, but I was wondering if it will be just as loud. It's really annoying when I pull in somewhere and all you can hear in my PS pump, it sounds like a friggen backhoe maybe even louder! :rlaugh:
Thanks guys,
Jesse

• Sponsors (?)

Mine is very quiet, my old one made a some noise but I replaced it because it began leaking fluid everywhere. My beater makes a lot of noise because of the P/S pump.

A P/S pump like many other components have berrings, and when they go bad, it's going to make a lot of noise. The vanes of the pump will make noise if they are not aligned, which would be a berring problem. What's worse, metal material will get in the fluid and destroy the rest of the system. I suggest replacing the pump ASAP and flushing the system by capping off the return line and having one person turn the wheel while the other pour in P/S fluid, make shure you put several quarts in a large jug because it sucks it down fast.

One way to take care of the P/S noise would be a manual rack conversion. :nice:

The pepboys around here are very bad about that warranty policy. I had a friend who got an alternator with a lifetime warranty and he had to go get it replaced they were very stubburn about and said they would only warranty it 1 more time. What a 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'ty lifetime warranty.

FiveOhhStang said:
My friend has the same problem...He blew his up when I raced him...get a new one the lounder they get the worse they are, also is there enough fluid in it?
-Nick
yes that was my p/s pump. It was like my redneck supercharger (worth -15hp) :D
i finnaly put the new pump on and it sounds great, very quiet, only took and hour to install :nice:

My brand new one is much louder than the 60,000+ mile one I took off after I accidentally broke the resevoir. Those of you looking to change a pump to quiet the noise -- you may be disappointed. People ask me what kind of supercharger I'm running....

Mine screams horribly since the dipstick snapped off and got sucked in (my theory, anyway). I'm attempting to rebuild a JY unit at the moment, we'll see if I can do that okay. If not, I'll just get an Autozone one and use the JY one as a core. It never used to be this loud, it really sucks.

Ash