How low should I go?

pw91lx

Feb 1, 2011
Emerald State
I'm new the Mustang world and trying to decide between a set of lowering springs i saw on latemodelretorations.com and coil-overs. I have a 91 LX hatch and want to put 17x9 2003 cobras if i do a 5 lug conversion or the 4 lug replicas. The springs on the site are supposedly a 1 inch drop and are $99 I'm sure you've all seen them. I'm curious to know how low and how your guys lowered your cars. My main concern isnt' money but i dont want the crap ride of coil-overs if I can find the right springs to get a nice stance for the car. Also dont judge but i com from the import world and you never wanted to put aftermarket shock in the back because it was to stiff and made the car bounce alot is this true for mustangs aswell?

• Sponsors (?)

My granatelli coilovers didnt make it ride like crap. They have different spring rates dependind on your application(street, drag, road course). that can take care of the front end. For the rear, Granatelli also makes lower control arms that are adjustable from 2" raise to 1" lower. No need to change springs that way. If you go with something like a 50/50 drag shock in the rear, yes it will be a lot stiffer than stock ride. not sure what you are trying to set the car up for but, hope that helps

Thanks. I'm going for a streetable drag set up. I'll have to check those out. The car is just a fun project to keep me busy. I dont see myself going past 4 ro 500 HP so the suspension dosen't have to be Perfectly tuned. A big concern of min is not havign the car look like a roller skate

For a streetable drag setup, do a search for adjustable upper control arms too. I will post the ones I use when I get home. dont remember the name of the company off the top of my head. They will help you plot your suspension geometry once you are a customer. that helped my 60' times drop from 2.2 to a best so far of 1.88. the control arms wherent responsable for all the improvement but they did help I think. You could also go with adjustable shocks front and rear. that way you can set them one way for the street & another for the track.

Use the eibach lowering kit, then buy adjustable shocks.
Gives you a little of both worlds, you can have good handling and decent traction with the shocks on soft. I've had a few shocks, and find koni reds to be the best of the fair priced adjustable shocks.
To prevent the poor ride, use energy suspension isolators on all the new springs.

5 lug for sure, 4 lug cobra's look terrible (sorry guys the symmetrics of 5 spokes and 4 lugs is just wrong). Replicas of a 5 lug rim with 4 lugs, will always look like a replica.

If anything, coil overs, when selected correctly offer a better ride than the stock spring style.

Def go with an adjustabr shock, but choose your spring rates to match. I would strongly suggest h&r springs and adjustable shocks vs a set of $99 springs. You get what you pay for and it's very easy to make these cars ride stiff.

Use the eibach lowering kit, then buy adjustable shocks.
Gives you a little of both worlds, you can have good handling and decent traction with the shocks on soft. I've had a few shocks, and find koni reds to be the best of the fair priced adjustable shocks.
To prevent the poor ride, use energy suspension isolators on all the new springs.

5 lug for sure, 4 lug cobra's look terrible (sorry guys the symmetrics of 5 spokes and 4 lugs is just wrong). Replicas of a 5 lug rim with 4 lugs, will always look like a replica.

I do like the 5 lugs better but to mount them I'll need the 94-95 front spindles right? Or can i go with the kits available for the 91?

Here is the web site I got my upper control arms from. http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/

there is a lot of AWESOME info on that site. as for the 5 lug conversion, there is a write up on that on here that will tell ya what year vehicles you can get the parts from. You can do the swap cheap with salvage yard parts but, If you are planing to build more power you might want to upgrade to 31 spline axels and diff. parts.

I do like the 5 lugs better but to mount them I'll need the 94-95 front spindles right? Or can i go with the kits available for the 91?

I don't know the specifics of cobra wheels.
But lincoln rotors in the front and ranger axles usually can be done dirt cheap.
Just make sure this method works with those wheels.

As for the coil overs, if you use good ones, it gets costly, way the hell more than just buying a decent set of coil springs.