How many of you are running modded motors wit HIGH Miles?

Lynx331

Jan 5, 2004
Chicago IL
Hey guys.. im just curious how many of you are running mods on your 5.0
s with alot of miles. Mine has 140,000 on it, it doesnt burn oil. Only uses alittle bit. I have a HCI on the car now, but im considering upgrading to a bigger head and a bigger intake for some more power. My question to u guys is.. should i just pull it out and re ring/bearing it? Or do u think it will be ok for a while?

• Sponsors (?)

I have about 160k on mine. Just a guess cause the odometer is broken and stuck at 136k. Uses a little bit of oil maybe a quart every oil change but other than that no probs.

I compression checked it and leak down tested it and it came out really good, better than I thought that it would. Gettin ready to start running a 100 shot on it and we'll see how it handles that.

If it has good compression, good oil pressure, doesn't use excessive amounts of oil then I would leave it be and mod it as you wish.

If you are doing the H/I there's no better time to go for the rebuilt. If not you should be good as long as she's tight and holding good compression. These engines are famous for being able to take a beating. I just pulled my stock heads off after 99k. The cylinder walls and valvetrain looked great. The only reason I just changed my rear main seal is because I was doing the clutch. It wasn't even leaking enough to form drops, just a little damp. :flag:

depends on ur motor....i know of some with 200k+ and goin strong, no smoke... i call these factory freaks....

yesterday i through a rod or something through the side of the oil pan with about 60k..... havent torn it apart and prolly wont, throw it in the scrap pile and use another short block layin around :nice:

either way it depends on how u and the previous owner drove the motor, just dont run a stock bottom end past 5800 or so, take it from me......

123k + and supercharged.... I dont really care though because Im currently putting together a new Mexican 331... :rolleyes: Its all in the maintenance of your engine.. if its been taken good care of it will take care of you. I, myself, like to beat on my car like a red-headed step child.. hence, the need for a new engine :D

My 93 GT has all the normal bolt-ons, everything but heads. It only has 86k miles so I don't even consider it high milage.

My 91 GT has 175k and is bone stock. Engine is tight and strong. I wouldn't think twice about dropping a H/C/I and/or power adder on it, if I was keeping it.

Cliff :)