How much backpressure needed?

Schlitz-420

Apr 25, 2006
Michigan
I removed my mufflers and am happy with the sound albeit raspy but sometimes at low RPM it feels a little like my dirtbike after I pulled the baffle: less low RPM power but able to go from 2K-6K much faster. Does anyone know if a lack of backpressure with this setup could be a problem? Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

When I cut the mufflers off my '02 I lost a crap load of low end trq!!
I then installed BBK long tubes in an attempt to get it back, no go :notnice:

Bought some MAC mafflers, and oh my lord, it was an instant major major difference! I then got all my power back, PLUS the added power from the long tubes! Amazing!

In short, put your mufflers back on! :nice:

You need a tune to compensate for it. I have an o/r x pipe and straight thru mufflers. Really, I have have no backpressure besides the few bends that are in the exhaust system. Without a proper tune, you will have power loss. With a proper tune, you'll gain power. Besides, with these cars, the stock tune sucks. Just a tune with no other mods can raise your horsepower 15-20. Get a tune.

Anderson Ford has a website that shows the dyno of several aftermarket exhausts including removing the mufflers entirely. You can see actual dyno numbers there. I posted a link a week or so ago on this site.

dont run no mufflers, it sounds like **** and its obnoxious. most free flowing aftermarket mufflers flow so good that they arent a restriction. your engine needs some backpressure for low end torque. theres no way to quantify how much though.

seattlegt said:
Anderson Ford has a website that shows the dyno of several aftermarket exhausts including removing the mufflers entirely. You can see actual dyno numbers there. I posted a link a week or so ago on this site.

how so? can you explain this? or show why you need low backpressure? can you explain what backpressure is?