How much boost can a stock intake withstand?

i am currently putting some vt cams in my car and since i have to have the car retuned i am thinking about changing the blower pulley to a 2.9 richard racing pulley, but i dont want to blow my intake apart. does anybody know how much boost you can run with a stock pi intake that is plastic? Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

98GTVortech said:
10psi for stock bottom end MAX.
He's talking about the intake, not the bottom end.

I'd suggest ditching that intake for the C&L. It's much stronger and I'm sure you'll pick up hp with the better flow.

I'd get the C&L intake before getting cams or whatever it was you were planning to get. With your combo it'll be the best bang for the buck- period.

Here's a dyno test of a similar vehicle w/ the C&L and a throttlebody.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/plenum07.html

am I the only one around here that understands what BOOST is.

It can handle more power than what you think. Boost is the amount of pressure being put into the manifold. Boost doesnt produce power, its a measurement. Now, the intake is actually better than what people think and there have been a few that I have heard of supporting 600 horse power with a good set of Stage 2 heads and some cams. The Heads will be the major factor in how much boost you will see. If you get those heads flowing over 220 CFM, you will see a drop in the amount of boost but a lot more power.

If you want to spend the cash now get the bullitt but I would suggest looking into the new p51 intake from Fox Lake. I saw the new look of it and holy **** that thing looks great.

Get those heads done first. That is what will hold back the motor.
Nick

mogs01gt said:
am I the only one around here that understands what BOOST is.

It can handle more power than what you think. Boost is the amount of pressure being put into the manifold. Boost doesnt produce power, its a measurement. Now, the intake is actually better than what people think and there have been a few that I have heard of supporting 600 horse power with a good set of Stage 2 heads and some cams. The Heads will be the major factor in how much boost you will see. If you get those heads flowing over 220 CFM, you will see a drop in the amount of boost but a lot more power.

If you want to spend the cash now get the bullitt but I would suggest looking into the new p51 intake from Fox Lake. I saw the new look of it and holy **** that thing looks great.

Get those heads done first. That is what will hold back the motor.
Nick
If he gets the C&L intake he'll get more power with less (or the same amount) of boost. That's a good thing.

I'm not saying that the stock intake will blow up. I am saying the his stock intake is a restriction. It just seems to me that the $/hp ratio is excellent with the C&L and a blown GT.

The intake (not the intake elbow, which is what a c&l is) will not break under boost. I don't know why people think this. The only time you have to worry is if you're spraying a wet shot of nitrous. Like someone already said, there are cars out there making 600hp with the stock intake. Thats gotta be in the 17-20# range. Think of it this way, 14.7# is roughly double the atmospheric pressure being exerted on you right now. Thats not enough to blow the plastic apart.

Bullit#3441 said:
If he gets the C&L intake he'll get more power with less (or the same amount) of boost. That's a good thing.

I'm not saying that the stock intake will blow up. I am saying the his stock intake is a restriction. It just seems to me that the $/hp ratio is excellent with the C&L and a blown GT.

C&L DOES NOT MAKE AN INTAKE. They make an induction and a plenum, not an intake. our intake is the black plastic device on the top of the motor, not the induction, 2 very different things.

I am seeing 12 lbs with a 3.125 pulley and i am now putting on the cams a ported Trick flow plenum, 75mm throttle body ,vt cams, comp springs, 2.9 pulley focus fuel pumps and a kenny belle bap. I was only wondering if the stock plastic intake would hold together because i keep hearing about people cracking them with N/a motors? Thanks for the info though, and the reason i have not changed it yet is i am not at all impressed by the power gains and LOSSES that the aftermarket is offering. In almost every article i read it talks about the intake losing power untill 5500 rpms and the you gain 15-20 for $1500, no thanks. just my .02

orangestang2000 said:
I am seeing 12 lbs with a 3.125 pulley and i am now putting on the cams a ported Trick flow plenum, 75mm throttle body ,vt cams, comp springs, 2.9 pulley focus fuel pumps and a kenny belle bap. I was only wondering if the stock plastic intake would hold together because i keep hearing about people cracking them with N/a motors? Thanks for the info though, and the reason i have not changed it yet is i am not at all impressed by the power gains and LOSSES that the aftermarket is offering. In almost every article i read it talks about the intake losing power untill 5500 rpms and the you gain 15-20 for $1500, no thanks. just my .02

one thing that the articles arent telling you is that those cars with the aftermarket Intakes are race motors that shift at 7 grand. Of course they wont make any power below the power band.

i suggest you spend the money and get the new fox lake intake available early May... I spoke with Ron at fox lake on thursday and they will be available early may. he is giving a 100.00 discount and possible free shipping if you order now for the wait...
im putting a procharger and stage 2 heads and cams on mine and asked ablout the intake... he has a customer in St Louis with the same setup on pump gas with the prototype manifold of theirs and its making 617rwhp on pump gas.... with a tune and high octane gas he's guesstimating another 40-50hp gain... i ordered mine thursday,,, im sold on it...

orangestang2000 said:

the vast majority of plastic intakes that have cracked on N/A cars were from the 96-98 GT's. Ford recalled them because of the cracking problem. the 99+'s do not have any problems.

btw, the Bullit intake would gain you power across the entire power range. about 20+ft/lbs down low and 40+hp peak up top.