Fox How much boost is safe to run. Stock engine

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
I have a 2.1 Kenne Bell just installed, up and running. With the stock pulley I'm making 11# and it's a blast to drive. With the underdrive I'm making 6#. My engine is completely stock so would 11# be safe if I'm not laying into it every 2 minutes?

• Sponsors (?)

Safe is a relative term . One guys safe isn’t another . Stock head gaskets ? Stock head bolts ? What’s the rest of the combo .
Your combo makes less with an underdrive because the smaller Crank pulley spins the blower slower.
You need to give the engine what it likes . Read the plugs for timing and fuel . Keep an eye on afr etc .

You’re asking about boost id love to know what the afr and timing is at ?

@a91what What ya think ?

Safe is a relative term . One guys safe isn’t another . Stock head gaskets ? Stock head bolts ? What’s the rest of the combo .
Your combo makes less with an underdrive because the smaller Crank pulley spins the blower slower.
You need to give the engine what it likes . Read the plugs for timing and fuel . Keep an eye on afr etc .

You’re asking about boost id love to know what the afr and timing is at ?

@a91what What ya think ?

The engine is all stock. Head gaskets stock. I have shorties and full exhaust only. My cousin set the timing, I'll have to ask exactly what he set it at. And I still need to get an afr gauge. I've only driven it around the block.

The engine is all stock. Head gaskets stock. I have shorties and full exhaust only. My cousin set the timing, I'll have to ask exactly what he set it at. And I still need to get an afr gauge. I've only driven it around the block.
Set it at ? That’s one thing . It needs to be pulling timing in boost . If it keeps adding the engine will not last longer then a few more times around the block .

i wouldn’t push it much further then 11 psi with everything bone stock

Last edited:
Set it at ? That’s one thing . It needs to be pilling timing in boost . If it keeps adding the engine will not last longer then a few more times around the block .

i wouldn’t push it much further then 11 psi with everything bone stock

I'm still learning how everything works. How can I tell if its pilling timing?

What injectors are you running ? Is it chipped or stand alone ? What kind of fuel management do you have ?

The hard parts should be fine at 11lbs. The head gaskets may not hold up. Keep the timing conservative in the tune, and the head gaskets might be fine too. There are all kinds of variables that could cause the engine to fail prematurely, but standard case scenario, there is no reason it should fail because it's a stock engine. Keep in mind that Kenne-Bell designs that kit to be bolted onto a stock engine. The market is driven to accommodate the bolt on customer. The tune is the most important part.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t go on and keep getting on it with no tune or BTM to pull timing . Or without the fuel pump .

Reactions: 1 user