how much brake fluid to flush the system?

• Sponsors (?)

depends on how hard core you want to get. when i did mine i used about a gallon of brake fluid(it was free so i was very liberal) and about 1 quart of alcohol.

it took me about 4 hours using a vacula, but now my fluid looks brand spankin new.

just for arguments sake, motul is a bit overrated.

valvoline high perf synpower is just as good and a tad easier on the pocket book.

i use just regular old bmw dot 4 and have not had an issue. the key is to flush the living **** out of it so all the moisture is gone. wet boiling temps are what you really pay for in expensive fluids as dry boiling is about the same in each category--ie motul dot 5 will have same dry boiling as about any other dot 5.

now motul racing.......

thanks for the tips :nice: ill have to look into the valvoline and flush it after i do my gears.

i flushed it a little alst year when i did the cobra brakes. went around all 4 corners but only filled up a water bottle. not to mention i used cheap fluid :notnice: and now the pedal dosent feel as firm as it used to be

When I did the cobras I went through jsut over a quart of fluid, but my system was almost empty as I had a rear caliper poop out on me so this drained the master all the way through to the rear and we changed all 4 brakes. We put in 2 quarts FWIW.

Did all 4 wheels when I put the Cobra brakes on mine, and only went through about 1.5-2 quarts of fluid. It was coming-out clear at all 4 corners after that so I didn't bother to over-do it. Pedal is nice and firm, even when heating the brakes up during open-track racing.

I use ate blue/gold. It costs a bit more than the valvoline and is a bit better. I think its worth the money, and when you switch between the blue and gold for flushings it lets you know when your done. Usually it takes about 1.2-1.5L to flush the whole thing so get two cans and you wil be fine. BTW I open track the car and this is one of the few things I havent had problems with. Ive cracked rotors and set pads on fire, but never had the fluid boil on me. :D I recommend this stuff to anyone and everyone cuz its great for street cars too.