How much can i sell my 98 cobra for???

I have a 98 cobra with almost 95,000 miles. It runs great, and never had any problems. I kept it hand washed every week and it has a very good and clean interior and i always keep the engine clean. The oil was always synthetic and changed every 3-5 thousand miles. It has a few small dints and scratches, but that happens to all cars over the years. It has never been wrecked it still runs perfect. It has factory cobra R rims and a stock engine. Only have high performance spark plugs and a K&N air filter in the engine. Nearly brand new tires with 235 size in front and 275 radials on the rear. I have bassani catted X-pipes and bassani cat-back, which costed over $1000. I am selling it because, i want to buy my uncles 99 convertabe cobra. He is giving it to me for a cheaper price. The Blue Book value for my car is $12,100 and i am only asking for $12,000. Is that a reasonable price? Should i go up because of the exhaust or down. Most important of all, do any of you know who might want to buy one? If so please tell me..........thanks for all the help.

• Sponsors (?)

i personally hate kbb because it goes off the "national" average of car sales i think, but where i live i saw a 98 cobra with 90k miles on it for 14k last week. and normally aftermarket parts dont add into the price but who cares. I would add about 400 or 500 to the additional price. Just wait till they start the thing up, they will be hooked.

I know that bolt bolt ons and wheels don't make any difference but, i was just stating what i had.....don't forget that even though it has 95 k miles, the engine was not built by ford and it is more reliable than most other ford engines. It was hand built, and there is no way i will let it go for under 12, its not the miles on the engine, its the type of engine in it. Not every mustang you see on the street is hand built by svt. I would definately keep the car but, why should i when i could get a 99 vert cobra for 2k more with 77k miles on it. My snake might be 6yrs old and have 95 k miles but it will still beat any 99-04 Gt and it will give any new Z-28 or SS a good run. Its not the age, its the quality. The Finest wines are the oldest ones.

THats true about wine. We're talking about a mechanical entity here though. KBB values for your car in my area, in excellent shape with 95k:

Private Party = $9,635

Retail = $11,700

You're kind of in a funky position here. Nobody that is gonna be interested in your car is gonna let you get away with charging a retail price for it. Where's your buisness liscence for your auto sales company?

Personally I would never, ever even consider buying a cobra with over 40K on the ticker. Mods even turn me off more. I would be looking for a clean, unmolested, low mileage stocker.

I really think the price that car would sell at would be in the 9-10k range. Good luck to ya in selling it. Maybe you should just keep it cause I dont see it selling for a dime over 10k

Viteza 98Cobra said:
I know that bolt bolt ons and wheels don't make any difference but, i was just stating what i had.....don't forget that even though it has 95 k miles, the engine was not built by ford and it is more reliable than most other ford engines. It was hand built, and there is no way i will let it go for under 12, its not the miles on the engine, its the type of engine in it. Not every mustang you see on the street is hand built by svt. I would definately keep the car but, why should i when i could get a 99 vert cobra for 2k more with 77k miles on it. My snake might be 6yrs old and have 95 k miles but it will still beat any 99-04 Gt and it will give any new Z-28 or SS a good run. Its not the age, its the quality. The Finest wines are the oldest ones.

You're dreaming here. If I look in the local Auto Trader I can get a 35,000 mile 96-98 Cobra for $11,500. I paid 12,500 for mine 3 years ago with 30,000 miles. The reality of this is that late-model cars depreciate as they get older and more miles. NADA retail value for your car is $10,100. I, personally, wouldn't consider paying over $8,000 for one with that kind of miles. BTW, being built on the Niche assembly line doesn't make your engine a bulletproof miracle. It is still a mechanical assembly that suffers from wear and tear like any other. 95,000 miles is still 95,000 miles. This ain't a bottle of Chateau LaFitte Rothchild Bordeaux 1928 here, it's a freakin' car. Get over it. If "there is no way i will let it go for under 12" then it's going to be a long time until you're driving Unc's 99.

10K....it'll sell to someone. I SERIOUSLY don't think you can get much more. I wouldn't take 8k if I were you, but I'm not. You'll have to make it show REALLY well, with those miles, but someone who knows and wants a DOHC Cobra will ignore the miles at 10k if it's in really great shape otherwise.

OK, at least here in SoCal.

I think what will make this harder is with the 05 body style coming out its just going to drop the value of most body styles, except for classics and all. Good Luck, I would say try advertising online for more than you expect to get this way you can negotiate down some. Im not saying to start if off at like 15k but find a price a little above what blue book is then work down. Maybe try advertising near where SmithCobra95 is.

94_302 said:
I think what will make this harder is with the 05 body style coming out its just going to drop the value of most body styles, except for classics and all. Good Luck, I would say try advertising online for more than you expect to get this way you can negotiate down some. Im not saying to start if off at like 15k but find a price a little above what blue book is then work down. Maybe try advertising near where SmithCobra95 is.

Especially seeing that the stock engine in the '05 GT is rated at 300hp, not too shy of the 98 Snake.

Viteza 98Cobra, if you look at my sig, you will see I own a Snake. If you don't think this engine is built by Ford, you are dreaming.

I won't go into the rest of the comments on how fast it is, I know because I own one, exactly what it will do and what it can beat.

Just giving you the realities of trying to sell a car fast approaching the 100K mile mark.

If you don't appreciate the answers given by some of us, you should not have asked. I have bought and sold 30 cars the past 2 years as a hobby and profit maker, and I only give you my best educated judgment.

Yea, I would bet that REDGTVERT and I represent the two ends of your price range.

There are a LOT of nice Cobras out there with a lot better mileage on the odometer.

Redgtvert is a bargain hunter/trader while I'm a 'want a Cobra, get a Cobra' kind of guy, but with a budget fit for only a 98 or 99.

I bought a high mileage car myself, but only after researching and finding that the car had been DEALER serviced all it's life and showed NO signs of engine wear. The bottom of the car looked like it had never been driven in the rain (figuratively).

I gave 10,500 after negotiation from 11,500, knowing that the car would need to be brought back up to snuff. But I am retired, get an allowance, and don't really mind replacing everything. It's the car I wanted.

Be patient, and someone will come along like me...but they WON'T want to give you 12 large for it! Hell, you already said the car needs paint, and nobody wants to pay 12k for a motor, when it only costs 5k to rebuild one.