how much can my 289 crank handle?

• Sponsors (?)

Ive never heard of anyone breaking one. I would not worry about it unless you are endurance racing or seriosly driving a blower off the snout. The rotating assembly is not very heavy and the stroke is short.

Only small block cranks I've seen break were two early 80's 50/oz/in units, both in stock 5.0 engines. One was in a Crown Vic, the other in an F150 pickup. 289 cranks should handle 7000 rpms, or better if properly prep'd. The Hi-po crank was designed for 7500+.

when the first engine in my mustang broke, it was due to a spun main bearing which threw two rods. the crank was unfazed. i have not heard of a 289 crank break, and very few 302/5.0 cranks breaking. as far as i know the only factory crank tougher than the 289 crank is the 351c crank(also cast, and i have never heard of one of those cranks breaking despite being turned 10k rpm in pro stock racing).

rbohm said:
when the first engine in my mustang broke, it was due to a spun main bearing which threw two rods. the crank was unfazed. i have not heard of a 289 crank break, and very few 302/5.0 cranks breaking. as far as i know the only factory crank tougher than the 289 crank is the 351c crank(also cast, and i have never heard of one of those cranks breaking despite being turned 10k rpm in pro stock racing).

i agree. i did this to a cleveland(see pic) the machinist polished the crank it and gave it back to me, said it was fine. this was on an engine i got out of a junk yard on the test run the throttle return spring came off

attachment.php