How much did you pay to have your automatic trans rebuilt?

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
How much did you pay to have a C4 rebuilt? I am going to have mine built with the spare cash I have, and was wondering about how much it is. I just want it rebuilt to stock with only a Performance Automatic shift kit installed. I already have the shift kit, it only needs installed after the rebuild.

I know it probably won't cost exactly the same around here, but I want a close estimate of how much I might be getting into. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I had mine done for 350, plus 80 for the new convertor. I live in a small town though. The big neihboring cities usually will add a couple of hundred to that. My valve body was shot too. I paid 120 for a racing valve body for them to install also. Don't know anything about your location. The small town mechanics are usaully cheaper. Just be sure to get some references and don't get ripped.

I forgot to say, like foghorn said, I took the trans to them. Saved a $Benjamin.

where u at the is a small trans shop in sc that only does race trans he will do a stock part shift kit prepped c4 for 165 exchanged and mine has lasted for 2 years so far
but u got to pull it and drain it of he wont touch it :)

Shameless plug:

I have a rebuilt C4 on ebay right now with 5000 miles on it. Converter, extra valve body with shift kit, bellhousing, neutral safety switch, kickdown cable. Its listed at $100 with no reserve. I can ship it anywhere for about $75-$100. IM in GA

Paid $475 for rebuild, includes shift kit,new converter - stock, remove and replace. This is the only way this shop will do them so they can test and warranty. Paid $250 on my other C4 for rebuiold and shift kit with the trans out of the car. As soon as my car will make it back to the shop, i'm going to have them check it since the shifts are way too soft.

I probably should have mentioned this is a 1970s transmission and it's not currently in the car. So that will make it cheaper, since they won't have to take a transmission out of a car. :)
I am also not having them do the torque conveter, it seems to be in good condition.
My guess is still $250-300. I just can't wait to get a transmission that has crisp shifts and doesn't slip into 3rd. :bang:
Next is a fresh new engine, but I'm getting ahead of myself. lol

Find a shop that will let you supply the parts yourself. You can save yourself some serious money by providing all the working parts. The labor it the most costly part of the rebuilt so anything you can do to help bring the time down will save you money. I would not pay more than 450-500 bucks for a c4-c6 rebuild. I just had my GM 4L80E rebuilt for 700 bucks and its a late model 4 speed od tranny. Shop around for the better deal. Me personally I always try to stear clear of chain shops, I prefer a local, well known rebuilder. Check the with your local BBB and see if the shop you choose has a good record with them as well. For some reason tranny shops seem to be the Shady characters of the automotive world.

I would, but have no clue on how to rebuild one. I was going to take this evening class in college that teaches how to rebuild automatic transmissions, but it got cancelled because not enough people signed up. So, I will try to take it again in the spring when they offer it again.