how much difference... 3:55's to 3:27's or 3:08's??

noslow5_0

Nov 7, 2003
dallas tx.
just wanted to know how much of a performance loss im about to take when i change my gears out to either 3:08's or 3:27's?? While im at it i might as well ask what gears came in the stock 8.8" rear ends in say a 90 lx?? Dont know if they changed the gears throughout the years or not, but i new that the 3:08's were an option from the factory (or so ive heard). My rents are forcing me to take out the 3:55's from an accident i had in the rain (either sell the car or change the gears for now)....

• Sponsors (?)

well you will gain some top-end be a little quicker on the highway and gain a couple of gallons to a tank maybe. but as for performance your gonna loose alot of low end accel and you wont be going tru the gears as quick either.

Tell you’re parents they’re high!!! The gears have very little to do with the cars performance in the rain. The problem lies in a crappy weight displacement (all on the front and none in the back) and likely your inability to keep your foot out of the oil pan when you’re driving. Changing the gears won’t keep you from stuffing the front end into a ditch while driving on the wet pavement, but it will make you lose a lot more races. Just tell them you’ll adjust your driving style…other than that….grow a pair and quit being such a momma’s boy! ;)

noslow5_0 said:
I got your pair right here gear banger!!!
Guess you missed the sarcastic wink at the end, huh junior. Either way, my mommy’s not telling me to take the gears out of my car. Seriously though, if you're really having that much of a problem keeping the car strait in the rain, you should either consider spending the money of a gear swap on a set of Aqua Treads, Keep your foot off the floor, or sell it and buy a 4-banger. That's the stupidest parent argument I’ve ever heard!!! :rolleyes"

I have to agree the only thing that should be replaced is that loose nut behind the wheel!! I drive my stang very easy in the rain cause of two problems. One, loose rear end under hard acceleration in the wet and two, premature lock up of my right front tire during extreme braking aggravated in the wet!! I am really not sure how replacing your ring and pinion is going to make U more safe in the rain!!!

just tell them that your going to change to a lower gear.. then throw a set of 3.73's or 4.10's in there :) And I agree it's not the gears fault. I've driven my 550 hp car in the rain with 3:73's in the rear and never had an issue, and that was with drag radials. And I'm sure there are a lot of others who have done the same thing.

ponyboy19 said:
just tell them that your going to change to a lower gear.. then throw a set of 3.73's or 4.10's in there :) And I agree it's not the gears fault. I've driven my 550 hp car in the rain with 3:73's in the rear and never had an issue, and that was with drag radials. And I'm sure there are a lot of others who have done the same thing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice:

there not gonna do anything about it.... The only reason my dad said that i was gonna have to change out the gears was becuase my cousin just got killed in a car accident in the rain. He was only 16 an was hit by a drunk driver. He was ejected out of a car an now my moms goin ape ****. Guys gotta remember i just turned 17.... :shrug:

noslow5_0 said:
there not gonna do anything about it.... The only reason my dad said that i was gonna have to change out the gears was becuase my cousin just got killed in a car accident in the rain. He was only 16 an was hit by a drunk driver. He was ejected out of a car an now my moms goin ape ****. Guys gotta remember i just turned 17.... :shrug:
aLL DUE RESPECT TO YOUR COUSIN,BUT THINKING THERE GEARS ARE THE CULPRETT IS JUST PLAIN SILLY.IT SOUNDS LIKE BOOZE,WAS THE PROBLEM.I KNOW WE ALL JOKE AROUND IN THIS THREAD BUT,THE TRUTH IS YOUR PARENTS ARE WORRIED TO DEATH ABOUT YOU.THEYED LIKE TO SEE YOU SELL THE CAR ALL TOGETHER! I GOT AN 8 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER,I CAN RELATE! HEY,MAYBE YOU CAN CLEAR UP THE SAFTY ISSUE BY INSTALLING A ROLL BAR!!! :nice: P.S.-KEEP THE GEARS