How much for the 2006 Cobra

skywarp... it doesnt' work that way...all cars get more expensive as time goes on... combination of more expensive manufacturing and inflation... tis inevitable. And all those options would make the manufacturing process even more expensive, driving up the costs even more. In addition, a Mustang, a Cobra especially, is an identity statement for Ford. It might hurt the image to have some Cobras weaker than others.

If the Cobra is 500 hp from factory, then it will be around 45k... and still be a bargain (think the z06, with 400, is a bargain now at 55k?). The new Vette will start in the 50s, not the mid 40s. It is said to have a base engine at 400 hp and a 500 hp z06 the same time the new Cobra comes out (in 06). Everything will move up some, and it is magnified at the upper echelons of performance. There will be a model in between the GT and Cobra that will be semi-affordable to the masses, like the mach 1 is now. It will probably be only a few grand more than the Cobra. 300 hp in the GT, with the newly mentioned weight at 3400, will beat up on some LS1 fbodies to be sure. Don't worry about it.

I'm also sure, with the massive anticipation of the new car, that the aftermarket will follow it with vigor. To not do so would be a major business error.

• Sponsors (?)

I still plan to buy an '06 Cobra even if it is around the 40k mark... 500hp from the factory + the new look= on the mark price wise in my book. Yes, I would love to see it stay in the 30k range...But, I seriously doubt it!

Anything over $36K-$37K for a 2006 Cobra is waaaay overpriced. Ford will be selling them for less money after the first year or at least after the 2nd year of production. A good example is to look at the sales prices for a brand new Cobra in 2002 and 2003. Ford dealers were giving good deals on them. And now with the new 2005 GT coming out they are even giving good deals on the 2004 Cobras. I will wait 1 or 2 years after the 2006 Cobra comes out to buy one. I don't want to overpay for any car that I buy. If Ford doesn't put a realistic price on their Cobra I will end up buying a GT.

It all deoends on what you get in the 06 Cobra. If you listen to therumors of 500hp and a more upscale image. Then more than $37k may be reasonable. especially if you look at what you are getting in the new car. I'm almost willing to bet with the heavier IRS in the cobra. The car will have 50/50 weight distribution. Which is damn impressive for a stang.

I don't really care for 500HP in the new Cobra. I'm hoping that it gets 400HP-450HP Max. This will allow the price to stay stable. If I wanted to spend $40,000+ for a 500HP car I would buy a used Viper or another used exotic car and not a Cobra. Like I said before, Ford should not overprice the Cobra because it will not sell well. And that's from looking at other vehicles which were manufactured that were overpriced and then discontinued.

Retail price is not what you're gonna eventually pay. Wait 3-6 months after the cars are on the showroom floor and those high prices will come down really fast. Cars on lots for a long time are not profitable to dealers. They will make their money on the people who want the first Mustang on their block. I for one would prefer to wait until the prices are reasonable. Cobras in Tampa were priced at $34,000.00 when they first came out with no mark down. You see the price tag....you pay the price tag. I can get one now for about $29,000.00 (coupe). People......bite the damn bullet and WAIT!!!!! :D

That may be true for you but up here in Seattle. The dealers still have adjusted market values added on to the price. one dealer has an extra $7995 tacked on to the price. But they are willing to give me all the rebates.

SVTdriver said:
That may be true for you but up here in Seattle. The dealers still have adjusted market values added on to the price. one dealer has an extra $7995 tacked on to the price. But they are willing to give me all the rebates.

Spend $200 on a plane ticket and purchase one of many Cobras here in Kansas CIty at sticker plus all the rebates. The road trip on the way home would be exciting.

If the mustang isn't to compete with the Corvette... then what? Maybe it can compete with the 95 trans ams and camaros??? The Mustang IS a performance car, it is THE muscle car, since when are muscle cars supposed to be cheap. The whole point in having a muscle car is "ooo look at me, im fast and im bad, im rich but i spend my money on gas, not on that heated leather interior and automatic climate control"

The reason i bring up the 95 trans am thing? Well my cousin took his near-stock 95 trans am to the track, and raced pretty much the whole day. An acura put up a better race then a 95 Mustang cobra (was that not the camaros competition??) The cobra got beaten by 2 car lengths, the acura beaten by one. A slightly modified 1986 IROC was beaten by about a door. I want to know why Fords top of the line "performance" car is getting beaten by chevy's near the top semi-performance cars that are 5 years or more older. My Lumina Z34 FWD, made in 1991 is completely stock, and it KILLS 79-93 5.0's, and im not talking about stock 5.0's. It weighs 300lbs more, is front wheel drive, and has a lil 3.4 dohc engine. Is it not sad when a LUMINA is eating up MUSTANGS 4-5 years newer then it at the track??? Look at the Mustang name, that name should carry some pride. Rename the cheaper/slower cars to pinto or capris or something.

I say make the mustang compete with the corvettes, it needs some reasonable competition. I dont think ford can put out a commercial saying "Eats up the competition like no other, those Neons and Tercels dont' stand a chance!, but watch out for those caravans..." I think a nice "Neck to neck with the corvette in performance and styling" would be alot better way to sell the car, although it would be bending the truth, it would still work better.

Im sorry but if you want a cheaper car, buy a cheaper car. The mustang isn't exactly a very economical vehicle, go buy a Honda Civic (yes i brought those bastards into this).

PS: By the looks of the Mustangs specs, my 1991 V6 Lumina will still be eating 2005 Mustang V6's at the track.

If the Mustang were to be compared to the Corvetter, it would cost $20,000 more and be the same price as the Corvette. Let me ask you a serious question here. Do you really think that people will want to spend $45,000-$50,000 for a Mustang GT that has Corvette performance? I think that if this ever happened that VERY FEW people would be buying the Mustang GT. Spending $45k-$50K for a Mustang GT is unreasonable. If Ford turns the Mustang GT into an overly expensive musclecar then sales will decrease dramatically for the Mustang. If the car becomes unprofitable Ford will have to discontinue it. Right now the Mustang GT and the V6 Mustang sell well and Ford sells over 150,000+ units of both combined each year. This has allowed Ford to continue production going for all Mustang vehicles.

I guess that if you want a car like the Corvette with Corvette performance then buy the Corvette. You CANNOT compare the Mustang with the Corvette. The Corvette is a car in a different category. It's like you comparing apples to oranges.

If the Mustang were to be compared to the Corvetter, it would cost $20,000 more and be the same price as the Corvette. Let me ask you a serious question here. Do you really think that people will want to spend $45,000-$50,000 for a Mustang GT that has Corvette performance? I think that if this ever happened that VERY FEW people would be buying the Mustang GT. Spending $45k-$50K for a Mustang GT is unreasonable. If Ford turns the Mustang GT into an overly expensive musclecar then sales will decrease dramatically for the Mustang. If the car becomes unprofitable Ford will have to discontinue it. Right now the Mustang GT and the V6 Mustang sell well and Ford sells over 150,000+ units of both combined each year. This has allowed Ford to continue production going for all Mustang vehicles. If the Mustang had the Corvette's price then very few will be produced.

I guess that if you want a car like the Corvette with Corvette performance then buy the Corvette. You CANNOT compare the Mustang with the Corvette. The Corvette is a car in a different category. It's like you comparing apples to oranges.

Ron Jeremy said:
I guess that if you want a car like the Corvette with Corvette performance then buy the Corvette. You CANNOT compare the Mustang with the Corvette. The Corvette is a car in a different category. It's like you comparing apples to oranges.[/QUOTE]

Kind of like comparing the new GTO to the GT, right? :p

Being serious for a moment.......Although the SVT Cobra is not built to compete directly with the Corvette, I doubt very strongly that SVT will introduce a new generation Cobra that won't edge out a new C6 in straight line performance, just like today's cobra will show it's taillights to a C5.

That is nuts. I'll make you a deal. Give me half the $7995. I'll get you a Cobra at invoice (there is a dealer 2 hours from me that has 9 '03s on the lot, plus 4 roush and 2 saleens) minus the rebates. I'll pay for the gas to deliver it to you and buy my own ticket home. Tell that dealer he is crazy. He is going to eat those Cobras at those prices.

PlatinumDevil said:
If the mustang isn't to compete with the Corvette... then what? Maybe it can compete with the 95 trans ams and camaros??? The Mustang IS a performance car, it is THE muscle car, since when are muscle cars supposed to be cheap. The whole point in having a muscle car is "ooo look at me, im fast and im bad, im rich but i spend my money on gas, not on that heated leather interior and automatic climate control"

The reason i bring up the 95 trans am thing? Well my cousin took his near-stock 95 trans am to the track, and raced pretty much the whole day. An acura put up a better race then a 95 Mustang cobra (was that not the camaros competition??) The cobra got beaten by 2 car lengths, the acura beaten by one. A slightly modified 1986 IROC was beaten by about a door. I want to know why Fords top of the line "performance" car is getting beaten by chevy's near the top semi-performance cars that are 5 years or more older. My Lumina Z34 FWD, made in 1991 is completely stock, and it KILLS 79-93 5.0's, and im not talking about stock 5.0's. It weighs 300lbs more, is front wheel drive, and has a lil 3.4 dohc engine. Is it not sad when a LUMINA is eating up MUSTANGS 4-5 years newer then it at the track??? Look at the Mustang name, that name should carry some pride. Rename the cheaper/slower cars to pinto or capris or something.

I say make the mustang compete with the corvettes, it needs some reasonable competition. I dont think ford can put out a commercial saying "Eats up the competition like no other, those Neons and Tercels dont' stand a chance!, but watch out for those caravans..." I think a nice "Neck to neck with the corvette in performance and styling" would be alot better way to sell the car, although it would be bending the truth, it would still work better.

Im sorry but if you want a cheaper car, buy a cheaper car. The mustang isn't exactly a very economical vehicle, go buy a Honda Civic (yes i brought those bastards into this).

PS: By the looks of the Mustangs specs, my 1991 V6 Lumina will still be eating 2005 Mustang V6's at the track.

Muscle cars are not meant to be exepensive. You are thinking sports car. No one that I have ever known thinks that a muscle car makes them look rich. You could even argue that the mustang is not truly a muscle car. But a pony car. Which is kind of a mutt in between sportscar and muscle car. The mustangs competition was always the camaro/firebird. It was never meant to be the corvette. The corvette is a 2 seat sportscar. The mustang is not. It is also not supposed to be the top of the line performance car. Until the current ford gt ( not mustang). Ford had not considered making a 2 seat performance car in decades. It was competition for the camaro. That was it's selling price. The mustang name does carry pride. It is the only pony car left. 40 years old and still going. How many other cars are out there that started near the same time as the mustang? But let me ask you this. If they built the car to compete with the vette. But it was $45k to buy one would you? Not used not after a couple of years but brand new order from the assembly line. I doubt it ( not to be rude but...) since your profile says your car wasn't even built in the 90's. Far more people would not.
As for your at the track exp. There are soo many reasons the cobra could be sower it's not worth discussing. Both my friend and I have beaten the 454 trans ams in geo metros!!! it's just a case of your results may vary.

Ford's best bet would be to offer Corvette level acceleration with industry leading interior refinement at about 75-80% of the cost of a base Vette to maximize their selling potential on the car. If they made it cost the same as a Vette and have Vette killing performance I don't doubt it would sell but I don't think they'd sell near as well as the 03 Cobras are selling. Meh...as long as Ford gives us a Mach/Boss midlevel performance Mustang that will run very low 13s to high 12s in the quarter mile stock for about 28 grand I'll be happy.

Yeah cause it's always had corvette level acceleration. And industry leading refinement. Those have always been it's biggest selling points. You can't always do that and keep the prices low. It just doesn't happen.