How much have have you endured?

I hate to rain on anyones "Problem Parade" but I have not had one problem at all wit my 05 since Dec 26 04 when I brought her home. NOT ONE!!!! Nothing but' Hey is that an 05"? yeah,,,," wow they really got this one right" sure did,,,,,, " Hey guys theres an 05 Mustangs in the parking lot", yeah that would be mine I think... and so it goes. Sorry no complaints just 19.3 mpg on regular gas with 300 ponies thrown in the deal. I dont see how you can beat this car for a perfect daily driver.

• Sponsors (?)

topless beach said:
I've been monitoring this website for only 6 weeks, but the recurring ills of the 05 stang seem to be mounting up, and I'd like to hear from those that are experiencing problems. I realize that owners that are having a positive experience are less likely to post than those that are pissed off, but I'm considering waiting for an 06 model if it will mean fewer problems.

Here are a few common problems that I have seen discussed repeatedly:
1 fuel tank
2 Shaker skipping
3 front end suspension noises
4 water leaking in
5 hood vibration above 75 mph
6 computer engine mgt

I'd like to hear about other common problems as well as happy drivers. I know this is a great car-I have one on order-but I'd like to know if ford is using the 05 buyers to shake out their stang mule.

Anyone who would purchase a first year platform and not expect problems is dillusional. Mine has the tank issue as well as the Shaker issue (and a small body panel issue) and I still love the car. You just have to realize that manufacturers just can't foresee every issue. Did Ford make the Shakers?, the tanks?
Whatever the case, Ford did not set out to sell cars with flaws, it just happens (especially with union labor).

I've had mine since the beginning of February and I've only noticed that the Shaker 500 has only skipped twice. I have had no other problems with the 05 GT. I enjoy every chance I get to drive her (whenever it's not raining)!! In my opinion Ford did a great job on the redesign. Hopefully for the 06 model quality will pick up a little more so there are less issues leaving the factory....

Runfox said:
I hate to rain on anyones "Problem Parade" but I have not had one problem at all wit my 05 since Dec 26 04 when I brought her home. NOT ONE!!!! Nothing but' Hey is that an 05"? yeah,,,," wow they really got this one right" sure did,,,,,, " Hey guys theres an 05 Mustangs in the parking lot", yeah that would be mine I think... and so it goes. Sorry no complaints just 19.3 mpg on regular gas with 300 ponies thrown in the deal. I dont see how you can beat this car for a perfect daily driver.
Thanks Runfox-I'm not trying to run down the car-I just want to know what to expect. And sometimes bad news gets talked about more than good news. I'm sure that owners w/ problems vent more than those w/ no problems.

Maybe a better question would be how well has the service dept taken care of the problems?

My GT has been into the dealer (twice) for the following:

1. Shaker 500 replacement.
2. TSB on 5-speed bellhousing bolts missing.
3. Front upper strut bearing clunks (no TSB fix yet).
4. Howl/vibration from clutch release bearing (not fixed yet).

Annoying? Sure. Do I still love it? HELL YES! :D

Here's the skinny on mine:
Here are a few common problems that I have seen discussed repeatedly:
1 fuel tank - No problems.
2 Shaker skipping - Yup, got me there.
3 front end suspension noises - Nope.
4 water leaking in - Absolutely not.
5 hood vibration above 75 mph - Mine shakes above 90.
6 computer engine mgt - Nope.

Interior and exterior quality is excellent. No squeeks, body panels aligned great, fantastic paint with no blemishes or orange peel, throttle response is fine, interior has not defects. I avg. 19.4 mpg in town (mostly) and some highway mixed in. No regrets on getting an 05 and I have had her since 1/21/05 - 2300 miles.

Wasnt it just last year that the Mustang had like 4 issues per hundred cars as compared to Japan's best which averaged like 10?

Of course this doesnt describe the 2005 Mustang's place in the reports but it is an idea that Ford is not bad in build quality. Its awesome to see a car that is known to be driven very hard with such little problems.

I feel sorry for those who have had to shop their cars for a length of time for warranty repairs but I havent been sorry yet. I've only replaced the fuel tank due to the filling issue, I only did it because I was going to be out of the country for a week.

The only other issues with my car are the propping front end noises and the Shaker 1000 skipping now and then. No big deals there for me.

-Dan

So far my shaker has not skipped. But it did pop out a burned MP3 CD while it was playing "Babe" by Styx. Said it was a bad CD. I just reloaded it an no problem after that. Maybe my car hates Styx.

Filled the Gas tank once. No problems there.

I have heard the strut popping on hard banking. So waiting for fix for that. But I can deal with the noise. If it breaks and someone gets hurt. Ford will owe me some $$.

Still treating car like a baby, so I have not gone past 80 in it. But no hood shakes for me.

I absolutly love my car.

Got my car on 3/12.

I have the fuel tank issue from time to time. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. It's a crapshoot, and it isn't something I want to waste time replacing and having to take the car into the dealer for. If it shuts off after a few gallons, I just hold it manually and it's fine. And it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it will go even 8 or 9 gallons before it shuts off.

My Shaker skipped once, on one certain CD, and it's probably because I've played the heck out of that track for years....Van Halen's, "Unchained." :) So I'm pretty sure it's my "Fair Warning" CD that's got some scratches.

Never had the suspension noises and definitely no water leakage anywhere, and it's been rather rainy in So Cal since i got the car. So it has definitely been in the rain.

Dean Gamburd said:
As my friendly Sevice Mgr explained it to me "It's a new model, built by a new assembly company coming down a new production line, made in a union plant. If you want perfection buy a Toyota or Lexus. Ford never claimed it's built quality was ever near, let alone equal to any of the oversea's MFG's. If you can't live with that, don't buy a Ford."

That's a sad, pathetic excuse. A growing number of "Japanese" cars are assembled, manufactured, or both right here in the US. First year, all new model, new assembly plant, etc., but Ford can do better. Every year, more and more "foreign" cars are being built here in the US, which allows those manufacturers to lower their prices because they're paying less import taxes and shipping costs. What's more, those "foreign" cars are being produced at the same quality level as they had been overseas. Now, those companies are poised to outsell anything the big 3 produce if Ford, GM, and Chrysler (regardless of their Mercedes partnership) don't get their act together over the next decade or so.

bigaloz said:
What I find funny is the people who try to compare a 25,000 car to a corvette, or bmw.
If you love those other cars so much, don't buy a mustang.

If I'm taking what you're saying out of context, sorry, but from what you're saying I'm assuming that you think all these problems are totally acceptable. However, IMO, when people spend money on a new car, whether it's $15k, $25k, or $100k, they should have some level of expectation that it not spend a significant part of its life with the mechanic.

When it comes down to it, people will always buy what the American big 3 make and there will be niche vehicles like the Mustang that will always attract people, but the Japanese and Germans (more so the Japanese) are catching up.

Problems or not, though, I still want one :D ... it's just that if it's going to be in the shop all the time and I can't drive it on a daily basis as my only means of transportation, then it's not for me.

Good post Tex 81--I think people are too sensitive about their baby being criticized. I can still love the car and not accept Ford's quality level.

One lame excuse I've seen is blaming union labor. I don't believe the line workers repeatedly left off the bolts to the 5 speed's transmission housing. I would bet the bolts were unavailable and mgt had to get the cars out so they said let service fix them. How else do 2 bolts get left off of so many transmissions? They didn't fall off; they were left off.

Florida Bob said:
True. But Ford had to be aware of the gas tank, suspension noise and hood shaking problems before they released the Mustangs for production. Those defects should have been addressed before production began.

How would they be aware? They get parts, assemble cars, sell cars. They don't test drive ech one

Tex81 said:
That's a sad, pathetic excuse. A growing number of "Japanese" cars are assembled, manufactured, or both right here in the US. First year, all new model, new assembly plant, etc., but Ford can do better. Every year, more and more "foreign" cars are being built here in the US, which allows those manufacturers to lower their prices because they're paying less import taxes and shipping costs. What's more, those "foreign" cars are being produced at the same quality level as they had been overseas. Now, those companies are poised to outsell anything the big 3 produce if Ford, GM, and Chrysler (regardless of their Mercedes partnership) don't get their act together over the next decade or so.

Keep in mind those foreign cars made here are with NON union labor. Makes a hell of a difference on job performance and quality control.

topless beach said:
Good post Tex 81--I think people are too sensitive about their baby being criticized. I can still love the car and not accept Ford's quality level.

One lame excuse I've seen is blaming union labor. I don't believe the line workers repeatedly left off the bolts to the 5 speed's transmission housing. I would bet the bolts were unavailable and mgt had to get the cars out so they said let service fix them. How else do 2 bolts get left off of so many transmissions? They didn't fall off; they were left off.

So the anti-lame excuse is to blame the non union management for poor quality control. Ya......that's it

66 BLAKE 96 said:
There's an awful lot of whining going on in here. Anyone that thinks a brand new car design is supposed to be trouble free is misguided.

Here's a good example. Check out the recalls and TSBs on the "quality Japanese" 350Z.
http://www.350zmotoring.com/modules.php?s=&mop=modload&file=index&name=TSB

I don't blame people for being hacked about having problems, but to throw Ford under the bus for it, or blame it on "American car quality" is short sighted, IMO.

Agreed! I have an '03 Mach I with zero problems after 10,000 miles. It's the process of getting the kinks worked out in a brand new design. There's also something to be said for the high demand of these cars. Whenever demand exceeds capacity, there is the chance that production quality can take a temporary hit...not an excuse, just reality. We already know they were slow to ramp up production to meet the demand. I doubt they accurately planned for the popularity of this car.

the reason for blaming union labour

topless beach said:

the reason people are blaming union labour is because it has crippled gm and ford. their costs are through the roof and their health care costs as a result of union labour have completed killed these companies... they cant compete against companies with mostly non union labour forces..... just look at what walmart is doing to the rest of the retail landscape. why do you think walmart spends so much money on fighting unions? Unions are business killers in todays society.