Engine How Much Hp Can The 5.0 Block Handle?

Building Hp and getting to run those times will take alot of cash...Im into my turbo /motor build close to 11k so far ..I still need to weld in the sub frames,Roll cage,suspension,i have to install my catch can..which i have didnt do yet..lol...Paint the car and a new convertible top...Oh and if i get tired of the red interior change that out...It gets costly really fast!!!! sure the car is really Fast..dont know times yet...And with a good tune i think it will hold together..Im close to 500 rwhp...also....

• Sponsors (?)

Suspension isn't really that expensive. I mean it CAN be. But I spent a little over $500 on new 10 way adjustable struts, 10 way adjustable rear shocks, and tubular upper and lower control arms. And then it's gonna be about another $200 for coil over kit for the front. So you can put together a good suspension set up for under a grand.

The engine and transmission is where you'll be sinking a lot of money. You definitely need to set a goal, a REACHABLE goal, and build toward there. Match your parts up to work in correlation with one another. Don't go to YouTube, find a cam that "sounds nice" and build a whole set up around that cam (I say this because I've seen many people do this)

Actually completely ignore the first portion of this post. I wasn't thinking when I typed it. A 9 second drag car's suspension is gonna be ridiculously expensive.

Just go 351 windsor if you're worried about breaking the 5.0 block. I've seen 351's handle almost 700 HP

My questions were directed towards someone who had done it. I really want to hear fresh why this is better than an aftermarket block if I already have the parts for the small block. My real point was - How cost effective is this route and how much hassle is it??? (And I know - there is no replacement for displacement.)

To Gearbanger Hulk, sir, replys to "use the search engine" are not very helpful. If it is that easy to answer the three specific questions, posting links and just answering the year would have been helpful. BTW- I feel what block to use in my build up is almost as basic as what car I am using. You can make almost any engine fit most anywhere - with enough work. How much work and is it worth it and are important questions. If you have done it, I'd love to hear details or get your links!

The best advice I can give you regarding this reply is use the search function. Do multiple searches on this forum. You're all over the place with questions that have been asked and answered 100-times.

It's tough to send you in the right direction on a 9 or 10 second build when you don't even have the basics nailed down yet. :shrug:
Not to mention, he should start his own thread with all of these questions when he wants particular answers that fit his situation instead of hijacking the OP's thread.

If I could see 9-10 seconds all said and done that'd be awesome! Its always been a dream to own a 9-10 second car. (still doing research)

have you ever been in a bottom 10 second or faster car? im pretty sure i already know the answer to this. maybe you should take the car to the track stock first and work from there.

$30k will build you a nice, reliable vehicle capabable of a 9.XX pass.
I guess that depends on your definitions of "nice and reliable". Personally....I would want a car that I didn't have to wrench on every weekend, that didn't have to sacrifice creature comforts for the sake of ET's, that knocked down reasonable gas mileage, emmisions levels and maintained excellent street manners....but you ain't getting that for a measly $30K. Not unless you wanted to drop a couple of seconds from that 9-second run.

Disagree on that, Brian... You're a weirdo about gas mileage, and emmisions. 95% of the guys building cars on the board don't give a damn as long as they can get the car registered. 95% of the people in this forum are perfectly happy with a fox's "street manners" and "creature comforts. You don't have to sacrifice those to run 9s.

just gotta be smart about the money. How much power is needed to run 9s? 600 rwhp? Sounds like a 351 with forced induction to me... no radical cam, or corresponding decrease in street manners or gas mileage. Even if you go over the top and spend $10k on the motor, you still have $20k to put into suspension, fuel, tune, and tranny.

Where did nice and reliable = gas mileage, emmissions anyway?

Disagree on that, Brian... You're a weirdo about gas mileage, and emmisions. 95% of the people in this forum are perfectly happy with a fox's "street manners" and "creature comforts. You don't have to sacrifice those to run 9s.
95% of the people on this forum aren't even running 13's with their Fox's, never mind 9's. I'm happy with my Fox's "street manners" with near stock power levels too. Let's see what kind of manners it has when it's running in the 9's second zone.

just gotta be smart about the money. How much power is needed to run 9s? 600 rwhp? Sounds like a 351 with forced induction to me... no radical cam, or corresponding decrease in street manners or gas mileage. Even if you go over the top and spend $10k on the motor, you still have $20k to put into suspension, fuel, tune, and tranny.

If it was as easy as a mild cam 351W with forced induction, everyone would be doing it. ;)

Show me a 9-second Fox with $30K invested, that sacrifices none of the above stated, then you'll get my attention. Till then, you're blowing smoke Chris. :)

Let me put it this way, how hard would you say it is to make a 300 rwhp n/a 351 with good street manners?

Next, add an appropriate turbo kit with 15 psi. *scary music* da da da!!! 600rwhp. And yes, it's really that easy. Why isn't everyone doing it? because they don't want to. period.

Brian, 2 things:

1. If I wanted another 9 second mustang for that kind of money, I personally wouldn't even build it. I'd buy it... with less than $30k, and for more than a cheap 600rwhp FI 351W. I know for a fact that I couldn't sell my own car for $30k, and it has an engine that would easily take me into the 8s.

2. I've been down this road with you before, and I know you're never going to stop arguing with me even when I've proven a point and everyone in the room but you agrees with me. Since it ain't easy to find and undeniably demonstrate what someone has actually spent on their car, or how "nice" their car feels when they drive it, I'm not going to go down the road with you again. If you don't accept that a fox with $30k worth of improvements can get you reliably into the 9s, I'm can live with that. But, I know it can be done, and I know I could personally do it, even though I'm not the most frugal or talented builder.

This is doable, if you simply want a car that makes 9.98 pass or two.

However, there is a huge difference in a low 12 car and a sub 10 second car. I have spent over $10k on my high 12 second toy that came as a $50 parts car. Literally. Still has a used short block and homebuilt trans and gears. Then, the upgrades make it painful to street drive. Even adding the rollbar makes it much less street driveable... Well my wife does not like to climb over the door bar, anyway.

Driving the 9 sec car takes experience and a license, and it will be a high strung toy, not much of a car. There is a big diff in a one time deal, and a bracket reliable combo also.

A big thing is to plan, do it once. I don't, and have redone some stuff.

With a 351 block, good heads, etc, a solid trans, and some chemical power adder, it could get there. Do not skimp on the cage, safety gear, and drivetrain. Note the cage and safety gear needs to be certed for that level. Pro certed welding.

"All glass, all interior, upgraded sound system even. Everything is full working condition (the way a TRUE street car should be)

Twin Turbo, SBF, 8 Second QUARTER mile 10.5 Tire..."

You can get creature comforts and run EIGHTS. But, not sure on the price lol. I'm pretty sure there's more than 30k in this car.

Forget the 5.0 step up to a 351w and stroke it to 393 or more. Then boost it. You will attain your goal hp and have a stronger block.

Bottom line, it takes alot of everything to run 9's.
3000 bucks to start with, might as well be zero dollars when attempting to start a reliable 9 second car build.

A 9 second street car takes much more money than a 9 second race car.
Ya, ya, ya, there are guys that have done it on a budget and drove across country, what do they represent like .0009 percent of the mustang community?

You gotta crawl and walk before you can run.

Get your car painted and in proper working order then use the normal progression, HCI, then SC. Then while you enjoy it, build up your next engine on the side.

If you really want to do it all at once, let us know when you have 15 grand saved up, that will be a good down payment on what you are going to need.

Still building it, Brian. When will it run its first 9? Maybe when I'm not deployed or living in a foreign country anymore. But I don't have a doubt that the car would do it... maybe right now. but certainly before I'm done with it.